Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Countach-setting the story straight

ostoneman
06-30-2005, 08:00 AM
I am fed up with reading articles on the countach so obviously written by non-owners, and would be dreamers alike. I am lucky enough to have owned a couple and would like to put the story straight. Firstly, always remember that no two of these cars were ever the same, so you have to compare with a 'correct' and well set up example of each one. Which looks best is simply in the eye of the beholder, and unless you have seen them up close don't bother even guessing. Which is the most competant as a car?- The Anniversary is the most modern and shares the qv powerplant with v.slight mods. The weight issues are very marginal between these two cars, despite the myths you may read. A well set up anniversary/qv will stick with an early Diablo, to give you an example.I was fortunate enough to have a great no expense spared example for a while, and my friends and I would compare performance and handling with their modern exotics, 993 tt's and 360's / 550's. The anniversary would hold its own against these cars, and was a hell of a lot more fun to drive- 500% more fun. You aint lived till you've tried it! I had a 90's 965 turbo with an approx. 420bhp on a fat single K29 turbo, beyond 130 the countach would leave it for dead, it's a truly fast car. Lastly, always remember that it is getting these cars running correctly that it most important. You can drive around in a 'bad' car and not even notice it isn't running correctly- it's the nature of the beast. Get your cars dynoed to find out. With uprated breathers (ie.Universal k&n's/piper's) full s/s free flow exhaust, revised modern ecu, and properly set up carbs the last cars can pull anything from 470 to 500hp (whereas 'bad' cars can pull as little as 375+hp). Uprate the brakes, ap or movit, you can shave 20/30kgs & improve the overall driving dramatically, the breathers do away with the huge airboxes, another 10-15kg's, s/s exhaust- WOW HUGE weight saving, the standard units take two people to carry whereas the replacements are actually quite petite and light. In total you should be able to shave a good 50-70 kilos without too much fuss- there will be expense however! Also, always remember that these old beasts just keep getting better with age- the more miles you stick on, the power you will get. A superbly well maintained 25th/qv with 65,000m on the clock will be a true cannonball! Also, all you guys claiming you 400's are capable of 190+ - DREAM ON !! And stop claiming they are the fastest models- they are way off the later cars in every repect. True classics, yes, without a doubt.

Add your comment to this topic!