Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Puzzling problem....please help!

henrymv
06-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Have a 1990 Accord EX coupe
When I get up to 60 mph until about 75 mph the car shakes. I have replaced both rear hub assemblies, rebalanced all four tires, repalced teh torque rod assembly and tightened the brackets to the rear stablizer bars.

The car does NOT occilate in the steering wheel nor do I feel it in the brake pedal when I depress it. However the shaking seems to be a side to side vibration through the whole body. Any one had this problem???

Thanks

mpumas
06-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Bent rims may be the problem. What happens if you move the rear tires to the front?

lamehonda
06-29-2005, 11:58 PM
your tires aren't flatspotted are they.

My car did that after I parked it somewhere for a week without moving it. Went away though.

jeffcoslacker
06-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Get it on a flat surface, and have someone just creep along with it while you watch, looking for any indications of belt distortions in the tires. Sometimes they aren't apparent with no weight on them, so you won't see it during a hoisted inspection. Look for side-to-side runout in the tread, sidewalls and wheels, and you may even see the body wobble slightly while moving slowly.

Then as was suggested, rotate the tires and see if the nature of the occillation changes. If you have a torque wrench, check lugnut torque, particularly if you have alloy wheels, they distort easily under uneven torque.

henrymv
06-30-2005, 07:58 AM
I have had Discount tires, take the tires off, and check to seee if the rims are warped and they are not. And I have rotated the tires from front to back...Also there is no flatspot on the tires.

Add your comment to this topic!