Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tacoma 4x4 Clunking sound/feel underneat when when coming to a stop

mena24
06-29-2005, 10:27 PM
2004 Tacoma 4door 4x4 V6 3.4L Automatic transmission.

Dealer checked the reak brake - they were ok. Also lubed the drive shaft. Still making that sound. Finally one of the District "expert" checked it and recommended replacing the drive shaft. It's still under warranty so it was done.

I thought it's fixed it, most of the sound is gone, but there still that little feel to it like something metalic slamming to something. And one other thing I noticed that they also did, they tighten the rear brakes - a lot! If you leave it on drive and let it roll, it only takes one click on the e-brake to slow the vehicle down and come to a stop. It used to take 7-8 clicks to do that.

Also, when I'm cruising at around 40 + and I play with the gas like gas it a little then let go a bit, It's like there's some lag in the drivetrain area, I think it feels like there's a little too much play somewhere in the tranny, or transfer case, or rear differential.

Has anyone experienced something like this, anyone got any idea what's going on?

thank you,
Mena

Flash75
06-30-2005, 05:25 AM
Mena, First I would take the truck back to the dealer and have them get your rear brakes adjusted correctly. Tight brakes will quickly wear out, increase fuel consumption and can cause brake fade due to overheating. The sound you are hearing may be from the anti-lock brakes doing what they are supposed to do if you usually brake hard. I wonder if the spring to axle mounting bolts were checked for tightness?

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!