Locking Differential versus Limited Slip differential

Pages : [1] 2

White Lightening
06-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I have a 2004 Silverado 2 wheel drive ext. cab. I'm wondering what the difference is between a locking differential and a limited slip differential. My truck has the locking differential (RPO code G80 - locking differential heavy duty)?

I noted I have very good traction for winter driving here in Wisconsin with my 2wd and my 20 inch Goodyear tires.

Are there disadvantages to the locking versus limited slip units?

BlenderWizard
06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
There's no difference that I am aware of. The terms locking, closed, limited slip, and positraction are used interchangeably AFAIK

White Lightening
06-29-2005, 01:49 PM
There's no difference that I am aware of. The terms locking, closed, limited slip, and positraction are used interchangeably AFAIK

But why have 2 different RPO codes then - limited slip differential is a G86 while the locking differential is a G80. I sense there must be some differences. I'm "guessing" the positraction concept is like the locking differential I have - while the limited slip is something different. Too many bright people read this forum - somebody must know a bunch about it :smile:

Arrowshooter
06-29-2005, 02:18 PM
I think I read on the Eaton site that the Limited Slip is activated via input from the drive shaft and the Locking is via loss of traction on one side or the other. Again "I think".

redneck45
06-29-2005, 02:21 PM
limited slip has clutches in it, and requires a "limited slip" lub additive. The "locking" rear is quite different and does just as it's name implies--it locks--no clutches! They also use "g80" for the 2500hd duramax I had, and that rear is four times the "g80" in a half ton!

NoRiceHere01
06-29-2005, 02:56 PM
if u dont like ur locker ill take it and u can have the one-wheel-spinning piece of crap in my truck lol.

jethro_3
06-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Better traction comes in different forms. Straight off the line WOT open diff will spin for a while and takes less power/friction to run. The positrac allows slip but has to sense slip before engaging. The locker pretty much is both sides are engaged at all times thus taking up more power, minimal as it is but at an instants notice will keep the rear stable. The locker will allow some slip around corners but very little, very. As tought to me by teacher(master) who races.

BlenderWizard
06-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Better traction comes in different forms. Straight off the line WOT open diff will spin for a while and takes less power/friction to run. The positrac allows slip but has to sense slip before engaging. The locker pretty much is both sides are engaged at all times thus taking up more power, minimal as it is but at an instants notice will keep the rear stable. The locker will allow some slip around corners but very little, very. As tought to me by teacher(master) who races.

Yeah, I can't hardly turn a corner w/o chirping the tire on mine... gets kinda annoying.

jethro_3
06-29-2005, 06:36 PM
If anyone is unhappy with there locker I will drive over and do the swap, open 3.42, to keep you happy....

BlenderWizard
06-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Nope, not that annoyed. That crap is awesome in the rain about not losing traction, White Lightening knows...

Moose is loose
06-29-2005, 09:15 PM
limited slip has clutches in it, and requires a "limited slip" lub additive. The "locking" rear is quite different and does just as it's name implies--it locks--no clutches! They also use "g80" for the 2500hd duramax I had, and that rear is four times the "g80" in a half ton!
Very true. A "locking diff" must either be mechanically, electrically, or air activated. A good example is the new Jeep Rubicon or Dodge Power Wagon. A "limited slip" or "posi-traction" is just that, clutches activate within. They are activated due to each tire turning at a different ratio or speed, A "locked" axle doesn't care, they (tires) turn at the same speed all the time. If you have a true 'locker" you would know because the rear end (or front end in some cases) will resemble the sound of a .22 rifle when cornering on pavement. POP!

twomorestrokes
06-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Very true. A "locking diff" must either be mechanically, electrically, or air activated. A good example is the new Jeep Rubicon or Dodge Power Wagon. A "limited slip" or "posi-traction" is just that, clutches activate within. They are activated due to each tire turning at a different ratio or speed, A "locked" axle doesn't care, they (tires) turn at the same speed all the time. If you have a true 'locker" you would know because the rear end (or front end in some cases) will resemble the sound of a .22 rifle when cornering on pavement. POP!

Any other input from any of you? I was actually getting ready to ask the same question. My 6.0 HD also has the G80 locker with 4.10 ratio. The true lockers that I'm used to do not have clutches, and have to unhook mechanically to corner, and can be heard. Mine is smooth and quiet when cool. However, after driven on the highway, the first couple of turns from a stop produces a shuttering, chattering sensation from the diff. that is quite noticable. Sure feels like clutches to me, and if so, a differential lube change is in order.

BlenderWizard
06-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Actually, on my breakdown of RPO codes, G80 reads "Axle Positraction Limited Slip"

twomorestrokes
06-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Actually, on my breakdown of RPO codes, G80 reads "Axle Positraction Limited Slip"

When I ran my VIN on GM VIS it came up as G80 / Locking Differential- Rear Axle.

My guess is that GM's version is just another name for limited slip, not a true locker.

Moose is loose
06-30-2005, 12:27 PM
No clutches on a true "locker". They use metal teeth that mesh together--locked. The only way they can slip is when the teeth basically skip a cog (causing the BANG!). This should help:
http://www.powertrax.com/nsexploded.html

White Lightening
06-30-2005, 02:30 PM
When I ran my VIN on GM VIS it came up as G80 / Locking Differential- Rear Axle.

My guess is that GM's version is just another name for limited slip, not a true locker.

My 2004 Silverado has a RPO code of G80.

Directly from the RPO Codes guide is the following:
"G80 Differential, locking, heavy-duty, rear
G86 Differential, limited slip, heavy-duty, rear"

jethro_3
06-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Get the RPO Detail print out from the dealer to verify exactly what you have. Some codes were different to models in the same year.

Also you can get the mechanics in the dealers shop to tell you what the difference is, they have torn down a few I bet.

twomorestrokes
07-01-2005, 08:09 AM
No clutches on a true "locker". They use metal teeth that mesh together--locked. The only way they can slip is when the teeth basically skip a cog (causing the BANG!). This should help:
http://www.powertrax.com/nsexploded.html

Right. These G80's must be basically just a limited slip simply named "locker" by GM. Correct?

White Lightening
07-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Right. These G80's must be basically just a limited slip simply named "locker" by GM. Correct?

From my understanding - the G86 is the limited slip version (not positration but limited slip) - while the G80 (positraction) is the type used in the SS and in my v.h.o. 2wd truck. My understanding (from others) is that positration is a better traction method than is limited slip - and is often used in heavier duty or higher powered vehicles).

twomorestrokes
07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
From my understanding - the G86 is the limited slip version (not positration but limited slip) - while the G80 (positraction) is the type used in the SS and in my v.h.o. 2wd truck. My understanding (from others) is that positration is a better traction method than is limited slip - and is often used in heavier duty or higher powered vehicles).

Positraction and Limited Slip are two names for the same thing. The G80 locker also uses clutches, but a flyweight and cam setup to operate the clutches. Check this link, complete with video.

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm

twomorestrokes
07-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Positraction and Limited Slip are two names for the same thing. The G80 locker also uses clutches, but a flyweight and cam setup to operate the clutches. Check this link, complete with video.

I also did a search engine of "G80 locking differential" and found forums where complaints of the Eaton locker (G80) was chattering on turns when hot. The fix (according to GM, according to this forum) was to replace the diff fluid with synthetic, but DO NOT add the friction modifier additive to this G80 setup. If so, it should be flushed, as the discs are metal and the additive can cause them to glaze over.

Apparently GM's locker and limited slip are two different types of differentials.

BlenderWizard
07-01-2005, 03:17 PM
I think if more people new of and understood the benefits of LSD's and locking diffs, there would be a lot fewer 4wd vehicles on the road.

redneck45
07-01-2005, 04:59 PM
you got me thinkin now, my duramax G80 I put mobil 1 syn in and it acted fine as well as the G80 in my '99 1/2 ton, but my '97 formula firebird when I put just the mobil 1 in made a hellava racket until I put in a bottle of the "limited slip lube"! Def. two different types of rears!

05SilvyHP
07-01-2005, 07:12 PM
The locking diff in the chevy rear on my truck is a limited slip posi. If it were a locker, like everyone has said, if would be way annoying when turning. The limited slip allows for just that--limited slip of each of the rear wheels. A locker or spool is terrible on turns, especially tight parking lot manuevers. It allows for no slip, which is great for drag racing or off-road traction, but sucks in everyday driving.

later

Moose is loose
07-01-2005, 07:44 PM
I had a 1970 Chevy C-10 with a Posi rear. If I didn't use the GM addative, it sounded like I had timing gears at any speed above 40. Sounded kinda cool, but after having to replace the rear, it wasn't so cool. I was also 16 back then. Just be sure to use the $$$$ bottle of addative from GM, it will save ya.

BlenderWizard
07-01-2005, 07:47 PM
The locking diff in the chevy rear on my truck is a limited slip posi. If it were a locker, like everyone has said, if would be way annoying when turning. The limited slip allows for just that--limited slip of each of the rear wheels. A locker or spool is terrible on turns, especially tight parking lot manuevers. It allows for no slip, which is great for drag racing or off-road traction, but sucks in everyday driving.

later

This is the LOCKER that's in the Chevy, like twomorestrokes said
Read the page, it is a locker; Eaton has a seperate pager for their posi/LSD setup.

spudglo08
07-03-2005, 01:39 PM
For Clutch-Type Limited Slip
Go to http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential8.htm
For Locking and Torsen® diffs
go to http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential10.htm

spudglo08
07-03-2005, 01:46 PM
GM doesnt use a "true" locker cus it only engages if the drive weel slips.To demonstrate find some dirt and do a burn out but slowly give it gas and listen after about 1-2 revolutions of the drive tire "left weel" you will here a ping sond and the right tire will start to spin if you have a locker if not the left will just keep spinning.

spudglo08
07-03-2005, 01:54 PM
The Torsen differential* is a purely mechanical device; it has no electronics, clutches or viscous fluids

The Torsen (from Torque Sensing) works as an open differential when the amount of torque going to each wheel is equal. As soon as one wheel starts to lose traction, the difference in torque causes the gears in the Torsen differential to bind together. The design of the gears in the differential determines the torque bias ratio. For instance, if a particular Torsen differential is designed with a 5:1 bias ratio, it is capable of applying up to five times more torque to the wheel that has good traction.

These devices are often used in high-performance all-wheel-drive vehicles. Like the viscous coupling, they are often used to transfer power between the front and rear wheels. In this application, the Torsen is superior to the viscous coupling because it transfers torque to the stable wheels before the actual slipping occurs.

However, if one set of wheels loses traction completely, the Torsen differential will be unable to supply any torque to the other set of wheels. The bias ratio determines how much torque can be transferred, and five times zero is zero.
This is what GM uses in the trucks

spudglo08
07-03-2005, 02:00 PM
That is how AUTO 4X4 works also
The silverado SS has Viscous Coupling http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential9.htm

isodope
02-01-2008, 05:10 AM
You might want to try applying a little brake at the time you find your Torsen diff spinning one wheel uselessly. It might just help.

Brandon Archer
01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
i have a s10 and for some reason my G80 locks softly and it limited slip until it spins after that then it completely locks, or it wont lock at all why is that?

j cAT
01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
i have a s10 and for some reason my G80 locks softly and it limited slip until it spins after that then it completely locks, or it wont lock at all why is that?

this eaton locker is not locked until one wheel rotates faster than the other wheel. when the rotation of the rear wheels is different the locker locks then after a few rotations unlocks. this will continue until the rotational speed is with both wheels the same...

the locker should engage smoothly it if bangs in you must drop diff cover , inspect clean and use the synthetic 75-90 wt gear oil.

with the limited slip both wheels are lightly locked all the time.this is for smaller light duty vehicles like rear wheel drive caprices/impala 1994-96 vehicles.etc...

slo99sierra
01-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Because the G80 differential carriers suck.

Actually that is what it is supposed to do. It's mechanical with clutches. It will detect that one tire is spinning, then it will lock for maximum traction. 90% of the time you will be in Open mode (open diff, one tire traction only). However, if you lose traction on that tire, it switches to the other via the G80 then it locks it up.

But the G80s are notorious for exploding even in the best of traction when it's dry. A lot of people I know switched to Detroit Tru-Trac Limited Slip Differentials because they are 1000x more reliable.

j cAT
01-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Because the G80 differential carriers suck.

But the G80s are notorious for exploding even in the best of traction when it's dry. A lot of people I know switched to Detroit Tru-Trac Limited Slip Differentials because they are 1000x more reliable.

the reason these lockers do fail is because GM did not instruct the new vehicle owner to properly break in the vehicle.

the gear set has metal that requires a breakin period of about 1000miles the first 500miles no long high speed hywy driving. the heat generated gets very high as the metal teeth mesh during the hardening process.

at the 2000mile point the rear diff cover requires removal , gear set clean , and install new 75-90wt synthetic oil..

I know a guy that had his blow. he towed a camper to yellowstone. brand new truck . it blew !

my 2000 diff still works great !

4x4junkie
01-25-2011, 10:54 PM
i agree with you Jcat mine works just fine as well.

Brandon Archer
01-26-2011, 09:55 AM
thinks, i need that info because i thought it was brokin and wouldnt completely lock, my diff is wierd as hell, im not lieing when i tell you it makes one revolution and the tire off the ground stops without acceleration then when i do hit the gas it spins and the other isnt spinning, now granted i am moving very slowly but i can do that again the same way and then the rear will completely lock and both tires pull at the same time, do you think not changing the lub is effecting that?

j cAT
01-26-2011, 11:31 AM
thinks, i need that info because i thought it was brokin and wouldnt completely lock, my diff is wierd as hell, im not lieing when i tell you it makes one revolution and the tire off the ground stops without acceleration then when i do hit the gas it spins and the other isnt spinning, now granted i am moving very slowly but i can do that again the same way and then the rear will completely lock and both tires pull at the same time, do you think not changing the lub is effecting that?

I had years ago park brake issues. to adjust the park brake you must rotate the rear wheel adjust repeat..I soon learned that I had to have BOTH wheels off the ground as the axle would lock up as ONE....

diff fluid requires replacement every 30-40,000 miles. after the breakin period.. cover removed gears cleaned inspected, magnet cleaned.

paint the cover because it will rust thru ..

reusing the gasket is possible if this was installed correctly...

applying silicone sealant to the gasket , then place on the cover .. then after this silicone sets up 45 min install the cover ...only a small film of sealant is needed ..

now when cover is removed the next time with slight tap the cover and gasket will come off together ...no mess on the housing..

using low odor mineral spirits/paint thinner cleaner works great to clean and remove debris..parts brush if really bad...

with the diff cleaned and new fluid it will go in and out of lock up faster and work much better..

Brandon Archer
01-26-2011, 04:00 PM
yeah i figured changing the fluid would help alot, but is there such thing as a locking diff that locks into limited slip and after it spins in that i then goes into lock up were it sends equal power to both tires? have urs ever been hanging on a ditch and lock but when u hit the gas it only spins that one tire sending little power to the other wheel? ill just have to take a vid of it, my truck for some reason locks into somthing similer to a very strong limited slip and if it spins then it will go int total lock up. i also think i have limited slip in the front because my front tire hops while the othere front is spinning

j cAT
01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
yeah i figured changing the fluid would help alot, but is there such thing as a locking diff that locks into limited slip and after it spins in that i then goes into lock up were it sends equal power to both tires? have urs ever been hanging on a ditch and lock but when u hit the gas it only spins that one tire sending little power to the other wheel? ill just have to take a vid of it, my truck for some reason locks into somthing similer to a very strong limited slip and if it spins then it will go int total lock up. i also think i have limited slip in the front because my front tire hops while the othere front is spinning

up north we here hit the ice on the road shoulders all the time ..the passengerside wheel will spin then the rear axle will lock in as one solid axle then release then lock up ..this is how it works,,,,it does not stay locked up ! it is all mechanical....but it still gives you traction because the driverside wheel on the dry pavement will create traction .

slo99sierra
01-26-2011, 09:25 PM
In essence, the G80 is an abortion of a product from GM. The definition is as a Limited Slip Diff, but they call it a locker.

True Definitions-
Locking Differential: Both wheels locked one and together at the same time (Best application is Drag Racing)
/E-Locker: Electromechanical differential, uses electricity to lock both wheels, lock on command. (Best Application is rock crawling, drag racing)
/Air Locker: Pneumatic differential, uses air to lock both wheels, lock on command. (Best application is the same as above)

Limited Slip Differential: One spins then the other catches and temporarily locks until both wheels are the same speed. Is Open during turns, and locks during traction issues. (Best application is Road/Track Racing)

Open Differential: One wheel turns/pushes the vehicle the entire time, "one tire fire". (Best Application is normal driving)

90% of our trucks on the road today have the Open Diff. The other 10% have the G80, and among them are the ones that swapped out to a superiorly built Limited Slip Diff.

Brandon Archer
01-27-2011, 04:22 PM
thinks, yeah i hooked up to a ranger with limited slip and it was the same year and everything and pulled him like nothing in 4wd and him in it too, one tire on the left side and front right spun on his and all four berly spinning on mine, and in a turn the truck torqus up and front and rear tire hopps

j cAT
01-27-2011, 06:13 PM
In essence, the G80 is an abortion of a product from GM. The definition is as a Limited Slip Diff, but they call it a locker.

True Definitions-
Locking Differential: Both wheels locked one and together at the same time (Best application is Drag Racing)
/E-Locker: Electromechanical differential, uses electricity to lock both wheels, lock on command. (Best Application is rock crawling, drag racing)
/Air Locker: Pneumatic differential, uses air to lock both wheels, lock on command. (Best application is the same as above)

Limited Slip Differential: One spins then the other catches and temporarily locks until both wheels are the same speed. Is Open during turns, and locks during traction issues. (Best application is Road/Track Racing)

Open Differential: One wheel turns/pushes the vehicle the entire time, "one tire fire". (Best Application is normal driving)

90% of our trucks on the road today have the Open Diff. The other 10% have the G80, and among them are the ones that swapped out to a superiorly built Limited Slip Diff.

90% of the 1999 -2011 gm trucks have the locking diff.

the limited slip is not used in gm trucks !..my 96 impala ss has a limited slip ..this is full time "limited" slip ...if you are on a small grade one wheel on ICE the other on pavement your not going anywhere....just tested this out got 12inches of heavy snow ..last night ...good on dry pavement however not good in the snow ...

when working on the brakes rear , with the limited slip you must lift both rear wheels to get any rotation unless you put a breaker bar on a lug nut and at about 50 ft lbs the wheel will rotate..the other rear wheel on the ground..this is the test proceedure on checking if the "limited " slip is working as built.

bigbadram51
01-28-2011, 12:45 AM
I put in an Auburn LSD when I re-greared it does amazing on snow and ice, uphill or flat in 2wd even running 37x13.5 mud tires.

Elbert
02-06-2011, 02:50 PM
dobut the GM version is a true locker...more likely an aggressive limited slip.

j cAT
02-06-2011, 03:02 PM
dobut the GM version is a true locker...more likely an aggressive limited slip.

go to the eaton diff web site. If you doubt that it is not a locking diff..no secret what it is..since I do own both the limited and locking for me ,, it is no doubt as to what it does ,,, and why ,,,,and how...

eaton web site has good info about all this..

Brandon Archer
02-15-2011, 03:11 PM
hey guess, i have a 2000 chevy tohoe Z71 and it has the G86 limited slip, is it a strong limited slip or does it let one tire spin to much?

j cAT
02-15-2011, 04:46 PM
hey guess, i have a 2000 chevy tohoe Z71 and it has the G86 limited slip, is it a strong limited slip or does it let one tire spin to much?

G86 is used in AWD quad steer vehicles.

all 4wd vehicles have the g80 ..just look in your glove box for code or call dealership with the vin #.......

the reason you must know what diff you have FOR SURE is , with the G86 you need the 4oz of additive for the cluches.use of 80-90wt GL5 gear oil is the fluid to use with this one.

adding this 4oz of friction modifier to a G80 you will damage it. 75-90wt synthetic is used only with the G80.

Brandon Archer
02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
it has G86 in the glov box, and when i go in a turn and spin the will it starts to spin but it churps, like its sliping then grabing

slo99sierra
02-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Searched for the G86 diff.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/offroad/174482-g86.html
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ring_and_pinions/what_gear_ratio_do_i_have_in_my_gm_or_chevrolet.ht ml
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/212457-g86-g80-one-true-locker.html
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/forums/Topic.asp?id=185193&pos=2

To sum it up...The G86 is a "Limited Slip" which was offered on vehicles ranging from at least 1999 to 2002, in 2003 they became standard. From what I've read it doesn't really work like a true limited slip.

The G80 is both a locker and limited slip.

j cAT
02-16-2011, 07:50 PM
it has G86 in the glov box, and when i go in a turn and spin the will it starts to spin but it churps, like its sliping then grabing

that is what a g86 would do with your discription of operation . since I have this in the 96 impala. the diff is always locked in a limited amount of friction. this is where , the friction modifier additive comes in to control this friction locking value. too much lock it will be bad for the diff clutches.also this diff requires more frequent fluid changes.

to test the diff use a torque wrench set to 50 ft lbs lift one rear wheel the torque wrench on the wheel stud/nut . torque required to spin wheel is around the 50 ft lbs if working as oem spec...

manshooter
02-18-2011, 02:55 PM
We order almost 100% of our pickups with the G80 option these days, as everyone that knows what it is seems to want it. I had it in my 2009 2WD 1500 LT Ext Cab, and I have it in my new 2011 4X4 1500 Ext Cab LTZ as well.
It is quite simple really. Once one side rotates 2 turns with the other side stable, the G80 locks them up. Once you reach 20 MPH the G80 lets go. It will not operate at speeds over 20 mph, so if your going into a turn faster than that and one wheel breaks loose, the G80 locker still will not engage.
I was totally happy with my 2WD truck, and I would have bought another one, but we did not have a 2WD LTZ in stock and the deal they offered me to hit their bonus level for the dealership for the final quarter was just to good to pass up and I didn't have time to do a locate on it and get it delivered to myself before the end of the month.
I believe IMHO that MOST truck users in THIS area would be totally happy with a 2 WD truck with a G80 in it. I sell approx 35% 2 WD's now that the G80 is installed in most of them and now that the people know what they are. Of all the ones I have sold, I have had only 2 people come back unhappy and want to trade it in on a 4X4. But then the same guy came back and was unhappy with that one too, and traded it in on a 2500. (I am sure he was not happy with it either, but I just didn't care anymore. You cant please everyone.) The other one bought some hunting land in the hilly area south of here and said he needed it to get in and out of his hunting cabin.
I would never buy a 2WD OR a 4WD without the G80 in it. And I would have a really hard time selling one to anyone else as well. I KNOW how well they work, and I highly recommend them to anyone buying a GM product that has it available on it.
Again, this is just MY opinion, and everyone has one.
But..as for them blowing up, or what ever? I asked my top techs in the shop (As they are the ones that would be working on them if they did come in.) and they seem to be unaware of any problems with this option. I know for a fact my customers have not had any problems with theirs, (so maybe we have just been lucky with them here...?) The techs claim to have some tranny problems when people have abused them, and some that were just defective, but no real trouble with the G80 rear ends.
Good luck to those that buy them. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. :grinno:

j cAT
02-18-2011, 05:48 PM
the g80 diff reqiures a breakin period. also the diff fluid must be replaced at the first engine oil change.

this is all explained in the GM top secret TSB. the eaton web site also gets into all of this in great detail. the gear teeth are in need of a gradual heat process when first operated. if this metal gets to hot the gear teeth crack, then the diff blows up.

Brandon Archer
03-01-2011, 04:13 PM
well i was on a hill with my s10 and it locked but the tire off the ground started spining still but the one that has all the waight on it was still pulling but not spinning then i got into the gas a little harder then let off then got back in it and then i heard a zing sound and now it wont lock up at all...is there such thing as a G80 locking Limited slip? because thats what i have idk what the hell reason they made two seriese lol but i need to find the part to fix it, it still acks like a mild limited slip all the time tho, but not what i want

j cAT
03-01-2011, 05:56 PM
well i was on a hill with my s10 and it locked but the tire off the ground started spining still but the one that has all the waight on it was still pulling but not spinning then i got into the gas a little harder then let off then got back in it and then i heard a zing sound and now it wont lock up at all...is there such thing as a G80 locking Limited slip? because thats what i have idk what the hell reason they made two seriese lol but i need to find the part to fix it, it still acks like a mild limited slip all the time tho, but not what i want

this is how the G86 works .it is on all the time. when one wheel is on solid pavement the other wheel will spin ON THE ICE , and your stuck..[WHEN GOING UP HILL].....

Brandon Archer
03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
i know that...im saying i put my truck on a jack and left one tire on the ground and the other in the air and let off the break and it spun then it slowed down and the other tire churpt and i was moving forward. on a hill with a ton of waight on one tire the other will spin then lock then slip alot, but it still is grabbing and moveing just not as fast as the tire in the air

j cAT
03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
i know that...im saying i put my truck on a jack and left one tire on the ground and the other in the air and let off the break and it spun then it slowed down and the other tire churpt and i was moving forward. on a hill with a ton of waight on one tire the other will spin then lock then slip alot, but it still is grabbing and moveing just not as fast as the tire in the air

with your diff as you stated was/is a G86 . with one rear wheel on the ground, the other wheel off the ground ,you set the torque wrench to 50 ftlbs. then you on a lug stud/nut try to rotate this wheel off the ground. at 50 ft lbs this should begin to rotate..if too little torque is required then your diff is broken.

Brandon Archer
03-03-2011, 04:08 PM
yeah but what i dont get is in my glove box it has G80, i just have never heard of a locking limited slip, i know fords run on cluches and its activated all day but dad told me that i might have had somthing twisted in the diff and that it imitated limited slip when it locked but then when i got on the gas it finished it off

j cAT
03-03-2011, 07:46 PM
yeah but what i dont get is in my glove box it has G80, i just have never heard of a locking limited slip, i know fords run on cluches and its activated all day but dad told me that i might have had somthing twisted in the diff and that it imitated limited slip when it locked but then when i got on the gas it finished it off

Brandon you stated the glove box stated G86 earlier post . now its stating G80.

do you need eye glasses or are you just a confused person ?

troy1
03-03-2011, 11:07 PM
This will explain it for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMZ9vcYVSg

Add your comment to this topic!