Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

H and X pipes, good for nothin?

Simioh
06-29-2005, 11:58 AM
http://www.mustangexhaust.com/tech/HvsX/HvsX.htm
wow... i was about to buy a mac X-pipe and just lookin around i came across this article.

Ace$nyper
06-29-2005, 02:06 PM
very interesting read but don't the cobras also have a better flowing exhaust to start so for a base or a GT still be worth while?

Simioh
06-29-2005, 05:21 PM
true, but still, shouldnt an X or H pipe be much better than any kind of exhaust? specially with cats? for the 200+ dollars they cost i shure dont see why anyone would get them. (10 high end hp)

BlackGT2000
06-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Well that is also a stock 4.6 cobra motor. I would bet that SVT put better cats and higher flowing exhaust on that car. It it had other modifications you would likely see a bigger difference. I know on the 5.0 mustangs it helped alot, I have driven in them and compared. The way I see it if the cobra motor lost some low end and gained some top end, it might be worth it anyway because that is a high reving motor and isnt really a low end monster to begin with. You would typically rev it out farther anyway so those 4 pound foot of torque wouldn't likely be noticed. Also, it you replace the Hpipe and still have restrictive headers, you will see gains comparable to putting a flowmaster catback on (sounds good not much power if its the only mod). I would guess that if they had replaced the headers with higher flowing ones, dyno'd the car, replaced the Hpipe with a catless Xpipe and catback, you would have seen a bigger gain. But I could be wrong this is all just speculation.

GTStang
06-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Ford along wit all companies have gotten better at making cats that meet emissions and flow well and every year they get better. So not seeing a big improvement going from a stock catted h-pipe to an off-road h/x-pipe on a newer Cobra or even GT is not a huge surprise.

Simioh
06-30-2005, 12:23 AM
wow... so maybe in a cupple of years there wont be a need to buy any aftermarket exhaust for the mustnags! hehehe

GTStang
07-01-2005, 11:58 AM
wow... so maybe in a cupple of years there wont be a need to buy any aftermarket exhaust for the mustnags! hehehe

Doubtful you still got mufflers that will never flow as good as the could from the facotory to keep DB's down. And then there is always headers too.

Add your comment to this topic!