Water damage?

hayesbcajh
06-29-2005, 07:42 AM
My wife left the windows open last night (all 4 of them) and we had one of the worst rain storms so far this year. There are puddles in the floor and every portion of the seats and floor are wet. Luckily the dash area didn't get wet. She's out there now sucking up the water with a steam cleaner. Then hopefully the sun will come out and dry it. Any tips on what else to do so that it doesn't end up stinking and to make sure there will be little or no long term damage?
Thanks.

cnilkyrclit
06-29-2005, 09:00 AM
go to your local home depot/lowes and get a product called damp rid. you are going to need a few of these. they are made to pull moisture from the air. as far as the car getting a smell, hopefully by using the damp rid, it will not have a smell. also you can try buying a small dehumidifier, and placing this in the car using a long utility cord. i wish you the best of luck!!!!!!

crazyinkc
06-29-2005, 01:19 PM
When I bought my BMW the right rear taillight leaked and made the interior smell musty. I fixed the leak and found a large "stink mint" at Wal-mart that was for RV's and campers. It had an orange smell to it. Worked great. I smell not hint of must and the orange smell was not over powering.

hayesbcajh
06-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the tips. Went out and picked up the damprid at Lowe's. It's actually a pretty neat product. Started working the moment I left it in the car. It's just sad that only 6 months after getting the car the new car smell is replaced by musty smell. I may have to go for the "stink mint" if it still smells after it dries out.

cnilkyrclit
06-30-2005, 01:19 PM
personally i would keep the damprid in the car well after the smell/moisture is gone to ensure it is all gone. good luck. keep us posted as to how things turn out.

cbuck
07-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Stay with the Damp-Rid, dry it out COMPLETELY or you'll never get rid of the musty smell. This happened to my truck one time, and the smell never went away. Leave the windows or doors opened on dry days to get the moisture out, and maybe even pull the carpet out to dry it thoroughly. You have to prevent mold growth and prevent the floor from rusting under the carpet.

hayesbcajh
07-07-2005, 08:51 AM
The car has been dry for a while now and left in the sun to air out any chance I get. I left the damp-rid in for several days. There seems to be no smell. Yeah! Thanks for the tips.

parky
07-11-2005, 06:35 AM
The car has been dry for a while now and left in the sun to air out any chance I get. I left the damp-rid in for several days. There seems to be no smell. Yeah! Thanks for the tips.

FYI? Damprid is the commercial packaging of a common product called Calcium Chloride available to calm down dust conditions on dirt roads and extend concrete curing in lower temperatures, avaliable in 50 lb bags at the hardware store I use it in Florida to control moisture when we are in NY for the summer. It is much cheaper than Damprid in large quantities.I put it in a strainer over a 5 gallon bucket when I return in fall the bottom bucket is full of water and the strainer is empty.

Add your comment to this topic!