clunk in rear end?

geneb11
06-28-2005, 09:20 PM
I did a search and found some posibilites,but thought I would ask anyway. When I put my truck in reverse/drive I get this clunk noise. I noticed the pinion yoke has alot of backlash.It turns one way and clunk and the other way and clunk.It looks like there is too much play causing a clunk. What is causing this? Could it be a bad carrier or something else?

JParrott
06-29-2005, 03:18 PM
ehh......I got the same problem w/ an 05 CCSB. Haven't actually got under it to shake anything but from what I gather it's just a quirk that comes with these or it'll cause the rear end or tranny to go out on you sooner or later and then it'll get fixed. I haven't seen a sure fire remedy posted yet.

Arrowshooter
06-29-2005, 03:25 PM
While investigating my "clunk" I found that the pin holding the spider gears in the carrier was moving back and forth slightly "wollowing" the hole. Didn't seem to be enough to be making the clunk, but I stopped looking after that. The U-Joints are all tight.

vnotaro
06-29-2005, 04:20 PM
There have been lots of posts regarding the now infamous "clunk" in the Silverado drivetrain in the last year or so. GM has even put out a few TSBs regarding this but I don't think there has been a definitive fix for it. Most people, including me, seem to experience it upon starting out from a stop.

geneb11
06-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Well I get my truck back Thursday.The fuel pump died on me Monday.$299 for a fuel pump WOW,but luckily my extended warranty will pay for it. I guess I'll have to have my buddy put it up on the lift and pop the cover and check the rear end out.

grego12r
07-23-2005, 05:42 AM
u jojns on the drivshaft did that and its gone

Legasus9
08-03-2005, 12:05 PM
u jojns on the drivshaft did that and its gone

My buddy and I just took care of both of our trucks with the same problem. I have "00 Sierra z71 and his is a '01 Silverado z71. All you have to do is grease the hell out of the splines of the driveshaft going into the tranny. Let me know if you need, I can explain the process. Super easy though.

skipr
08-04-2005, 01:24 AM
While investigating my "clunk" I found that the pin holding the spider gears in the carrier was moving back and forth slightly "wollowing" the hole. Didn't seem to be enough to be making the clunk, but I stopped looking after that. The U-Joints are all tight.

Your right on the money! with that observation. Take care of it very soon! I waited and the whole carrier ripped in half, and the ring gear procededed to tear up everything else in there. The pinion shaft starts to elongate the support holes (which is part of the carrier unit). And sooner than later....KABOOM!

geneb11
11-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Well the rear end let go this weekend. I hope this will be the last time that I fix it.

97cavalier
11-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Well the rear end let go this weekend. I hope this will be the last time that I fix it.
I heard of putting tranny conditioner in it and it will stop. Or putting a racket ball in between drive shaft and yoke. But if you think about it, what is causing all of this is the drive shaft is hitting the yoke to much and causing it to slop out. so the racket ball all it would do is absorbe it. And the tranny conditioner, well that might seal some gears or something so it will stop hitting hard. But if we can find out why it is hitting the yoke so hard, then that would fix the problem. So start off with the conditioner. If that don't work after about 300 miles, then our best bet would be to get that tranny reprogramed. Maybe that would stop it. Any other ideas?

geneb11
11-09-2005, 07:31 PM
A friend of mine that owns a junkyard say's that between 2000 and 2002 there were a batch of bad rearends. He say's that 99% of the rearends he get's are perfect and there's alway's that 1%. He say's he get's around $4000 for a rearend. The shop that my truck is at is doing a 1999 dodge Ram and he paid $2000 for his rearend. The warranty company will probably want to rebuild the one that I have which will be cheaper.

geneb11
11-26-2005, 11:16 PM
My truck is still in the shop. The warranty company will only fix what's broke. They changed the carrier,spyder gears,bearings and I have to pay for axel seals. It's all together and I took it for a ride and it sounds like a bumble bee is in the back seat when you let up on the throttle. They suspect the ring and pinion is bad.The warranty co. had them look at the ring and pinion and they said it looked fine so they didn't replace it. Now they have to battle it out for a ring and pinion. Man this $ucks!!!

Add your comment to this topic!