How many miles have you gone without a timing belt replacement?

dcwinters
06-28-2005, 08:13 AM
I have 150,000 on my 98 Rodeo. I know I should of already replaced the timing belt. But I am lazy. Just wondering who else has let it go this long and still not broken the belt! BTW, is the 98 V6 DOHC engine, an "interference" engine. IOW, when the belt brakes does the valves meet the pistons???

Thanks

amigo-2k
06-28-2005, 09:51 AM
it is Non-interference

If you have 150k and are planning on keeping it another year I would spend the cash and swap it out (along with the belt tensor and water pump too).

Ramblin Fever
06-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Amigo-2K, Being that it's not an interference engine, why not wait til either the water pump starts leaking, tensioner gives out, or belt breaks?

I mean, I myself would change all of this out, especially fear of water pump failure.

But, say for instance if the timing belt was not in the same location as the water pump, would you change the belt or wait til it breaks?

Just curious.

My .02 change it all for sure; especially with these aluminum engines.

I have 80K on my 2nd belt, water pump, etc. it's all being replaced end of summer, including crankshaft seals.

amigo-2k
06-28-2005, 04:11 PM
I just wouldn't want to be in the middle of no where when the pump and or belt went. If the pump goes you can cook the engine quickly.

Cat Fuzz
06-28-2005, 09:18 PM
I bought my 94 Rodeo at 101,000 and it now has about 126,000 and I havn't replaced the t-belt and I don't know if it has ever been done before. I have replaced the tensioner though, I would have done the belt and water pump at the same time, but I was on a limited budget. It's really not that hard to dig back into it, but then, I do alot of working on cars and other things.

rodeo02
06-29-2005, 05:53 AM
7yrs/150K miles is definately pushing it for a T-belt. It all depends what you use the truck for & if you travel far from civilization or not. If it was my Sunday cruiser, or just around town vehcile, I'd leave it until something gives like the water pump or tensioner. If it's your daily driver that you depend on & cannot afford to be stranded, you will need to changeout atleast the T-belt, tensioner and water pump. A 'deluxe' job would include a new idler set, front main seal and cam seals. Either way, it aint cheap!
G/luck
Joel

dcwinters
06-29-2005, 04:14 PM
it is Non-interference

If you have 150k and are planning on keeping it another year I would spend the cash and swap it out (along with the belt tensor and water pump too).

Are we all sure it is Non Interference? My Haynes repair manual says that it is Interferance.

marcre
06-29-2005, 04:41 PM
A 'deluxe' job would include a new idler set, front main seal and cam seals.

How much would you guess the "delux" job would be?

amigo-2k
06-29-2005, 05:16 PM
yup,

it is non-interfer. A couple of Isuzu mechanics have confirmed it here, and one owner had an independent shop replace the belt and one side was 180 degs out (meaning if the valves could slam the pistions they should of); he ran the truck, and it didn't run right, took it to the dealer who fixed it.

rodeo02
06-30-2005, 09:09 AM
How much would you guess the "delux" job would be?

I'd have to guess at somewhere around $1000+ to have it all done. :eek2:

G/luck
Joel

Ramblin Fever
06-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Yup; for the delux job, I was quote $830.

I have 5yrs and 85K on mine; hopefully by next spring I'll have saved enough $$$

aitch
07-28-2005, 08:47 PM
My rodeo timing belt lasted 178k before causing me a towing bill in the middle of the desert. Read some good points that changing the water pump etc at the same time was a good idea.

Will 99 3.2 178k

surferfletch
07-28-2005, 10:11 PM
I had it all done at 60K. I'm now at 144K and I'm not losing as much sleep over it as I used to. Seen on this board that many t-belts at 100K still look good.

rodeo02
07-30-2005, 11:07 AM
My rodeo timing belt lasted 178k before causing me a towing bill in the middle of the desert. Read some good points that changing the water pump etc at the same time was a good idea.

Will 99 3.2 178k

Just out of curiosity, was the truck under load or at high RPM's when the belt let loose? Did she just coast to a stop? any warning signs? The one and hopefully only time a t-belt let loose on me was back about 15yrs ago on my 1984 ford EXP. 1.6L (IIRC). I pulled into a parking lot & it just happened to stall & would not start. I coasted it into a parking spot & that's where she sat until I could fix it a day or two later. The t-belt driven water pump had siezed and stripped all the rubber teeth off the belt! That thing only had about 60-70K miles on it at the time, but was rusted to pieces and was known to have cylinder head issues (had a cracked head at around 40K). Luckily that little 4 banger was not a valve crasher.

THANKS!
Joel

GHD1959
09-12-2005, 02:59 AM
I have 151,000 on my 97 rodeo 4 cyc. and it has original timing belt, brakes and clutch. I use Amsoil and had the water pump changed awhile ago and the t-belt was fine. I am wondering if I should change it.

Add your comment to this topic!