96 Rodeo starts sometimes, died at a stoplight

r_j_s
06-27-2005, 10:41 PM
I've had my Rodeo for about 8 months and it has been starting sometimes and not starting other times. I don't know much about cars so I may resort to describing things in hopes that people can figure out what I'm saying. This has been going on for about two weeks. It sounds like it's about to turn over, but it doesn't quite do it. The next day it wouldn't start for me, but it would whenever the tow truck driver showed up and the auto shop had no problems starting it. It didn't start the other day but did after about 5 or 6 tries. Now today, it wouldn't start as I was leaving work and is still there in the parking lot. Last night, it also died after I had been sitting at a stop light. When I went to take off, it sounded like gas went into the engine and then the engine turned off. I was able to start it right back up. I have noticed the last couple of weeks that when the engine idles it sort of has this rhythmic ebb and flow sound - like the gas is going in normally, then going in slowly. A coworker looked at the engine tonight and there was a PCV (PVC?) valve just hanging loosely on the part it connects to. Part of the piece was inside that part. I found the valve at an auto parts store but not the grommett piece - I'll have to get that from the dealer. But, they were telling me that I could have a fuel line problem or a throttle sensor(?) problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I have people willing to help me with this to save me some money,but we need to figure out what's wrong first. Thanks.

amigo-2k
06-27-2005, 10:50 PM
So it turns over and over and don't fire?

I would start with the normal stuff first. Clean up the battery and the ground points too.

Then change the plugs and wires. General tune up stuff.

Once you get it going you may want to take it in and have the injectors cleaned or just dump some injector cleaner in for a couple of tanks.

If you are not sure on the age of the battery change that too.

r_j_s
06-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks. I can start with that. I did clean off the battery cables already. Also, a couple of months ago the check engine light came on. It would go off in a couple of days and it's done that a couple of times since. I had it checked once and the mechanic said it looked like one of the part - the oxygen sensor I beleive - was recently replaced but that the lines to that part were getting a little clogged (something like that). He said it wasn't a big deal right now, but I might want to get those lines cleaned out. Is that affected by or does it affect the fuel injectors?

r_j_s
06-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks. I can start with that. I did clean off the battery cables already. Also, a couple of months ago the check engine light came on. It would go off in a couple of days and it's done that a couple of times since. I had it checked once and the mechanic said it looked like one of the part - the oxygen sensor I beleive - was recently replaced but that the lines to that part were getting a little clogged (something like that). He said it wasn't a big deal right now, but I might want to get those lines cleaned out. Is that affected by or does it affect the fuel injectors?

perry8685
06-27-2005, 11:30 PM
So it turns over and over and don't fire?

I would start with the normal stuff first. Clean up the battery and the ground points too.

Then change the plugs and wires. General tune up stuff.

Once you get it going you may want to take it in and have the injectors cleaned or just dump some injector cleaner in for a couple of tanks.

If you are not sure on the age of the battery change that too.

This is all very good information and ideas and for r_j_s's sake hopefully correct. This was not the case however with me. How long have you had the truck? depending how old it is i would consider the fuel pump too which is a pain in the behind to replace. My truck was having all the same problems and after probably a month the pump just died. It was a dog to replace because if you dont have the right tools the tank is real hard to drop.

PERRY

anthonyn
06-27-2005, 11:43 PM
I Does anyone have any ideas? I have people willing to help me with this to save me some money,but we need to figure out what's wrong first. Thanks.

Has your fuel filter ever been replaced? If not, that could be a culprit. Otherwise, I second the fuel pump suggestion. Wouldn't hurt to dump some techron or Gumout Regane in the tank in case your fuel system is all gunked up though. Also make sure there isn't any other disconnected hoses like those going to the EGR valve - a vacuum leak could cause rough idle and stalling.

r_j_s
06-27-2005, 11:44 PM
I hope it's not the fuel pump. I have had the car since November. I bought the car from my sister and she had everything checked out and fixed whatever they could find wrong, but it had been a good car for her prior to selling it. It's a 1996 with 102,000 miles. Hopefully my coworker can help me out and we can get this thing going again.

Thanks. Rhonda

Add your comment to this topic!