Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ball Joints on 91 F-150 4x4

stratmark1
06-27-2005, 05:18 PM
How hard is it to replace the ball joints on a 4 wheel drive F-150. The estimates I've been getting are pretty high. :confused: I have been able to do some minor stuff myself ( rear axle bearing, brakes, driveshaft u-joints ). Would the ball joints be something I could reasonably tackle on my own?
The parts don't cost much but the labor is high.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

way2old
06-27-2005, 07:44 PM
If you have the proper tools, it is a do it yourself project. Big hammer, ball joint separator, ball joint press, assorted cuss words and lotsa beer or bourbon. Maybe a torch. :evillol: :naughty:

stratmark1
06-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Would being a 4x4 throw any curves in it ?

way2old
06-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Not many. You can leave the axle in place and remove spindle around it.

stratmark1
06-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks ! The estimates I've gotten are over $300. I can buy the parts at Schuck's for $50.

way2old
06-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Have at it and relate your story and the new words you have lerned when you have completed repairs. Also let us know which beverage works better. :screwy:

jtc001
06-29-2005, 07:01 AM
Just did it on my son's 94 (although it was a 2WD). Hints:

Use a lot of heat.

Get the ball joint separator kit from Sears ($30) or other store.

Get a big F***ing hammer. The one I used was what I would refer to as a hand held sledge. Watch your hands. In order to get them separated, you will be whaling at them with the big hammer (I mean WHALING).

They will come - just be patient.

grsco
06-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Just did it on my son's 94 (although it was a 2WD). Hints:

Use a lot of heat.

Get the ball joint separator kit from Sears ($30) or other store.

Get a big F***ing hammer. The one I used was what I would refer to as a hand held sledge. Watch your hands. In order to get them separated, you will be whaling at them with the big hammer (I mean WHALING).

They will come - just be patient.

An AIR HAMMER with the right ball joint seperating tip works the best.

If you have an AIR COMPRESSOR you could buy a cheep air hammer from costco or something like that, and then you would need the attachment for the ball joints, and that you would get from your local auto parts store I would think, as the attachments are all pretty standard for that tool. also if you do that .......don't forget to wear saftey glasses

stratmark1
06-29-2005, 02:22 PM
How about those C-Clamp type presses such as Shuck's and JC Whitney sells ?

grsco
06-29-2005, 04:11 PM
How about those C-Clamp type presses such as Shuck's and JC Whitney sells ?

Yea............. they work great too.

soreback
06-30-2005, 02:22 PM
you can do it... youve gotten some good advice... dont forget you are separating two things ...the ball joint pin from the spindle, thats the ball joint separater and the busted thumb knuckle... then you have to press the ball joint out of the axle ... thats the c clamp (ball joint press) and the heat... be sure to use good jack stands under the frame... then use maybe a floor jack under the axle that will make it soild when you start hammering and pressing.... if you use heat let it cool on its own dont use water.... also if you do use heat watch out for the melted plastic and grease that runs out of the old ball joint... thats where your new words will come from... and keep heat away from the new ball joints make sure everything is cooled off before installing... i hope that helps some ... im putting valve cover gaskets on my 88 f150 soon ... i owned an under car shop for twelve years (hence the name soreback) i can do the ball joints but sometimes i need advice on engine stuff .. good luck

stratmark1
06-30-2005, 02:49 PM
With it being a 4 wheel drive, is it best to pull the front axle on that side. How hard is that to do. It's got manual hublocks if that makes s difference. I don't have access to a torch, I'm hoping the press ( once I get one ) can do the job. I can everything I don't have that I'll need and still save quite a bit of money.

way2old
06-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Just remove the rotor and hubs. You can leave the axle in place. It eill move round out of your way. there is plenty of room for the press to go in there..

Add your comment to this topic!