ABS Light on

George G.
06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Well, after searching the history, I have some more questions about my ABS light being on. I recently gave in and took my 99 Rodeo to get the front brakes done cause I wouldn't get off my butt and do it myself(I already bought the parts). All is well afterwards, had them install both rotors w/ pads. Also gave them a can of Disc Brake Quiet to prevent squeal. Took it home and noticed some light smoke coming from the LF wheel. The dufus didn't let the DB Quiet dry enough and it was all over the rotor surface(burning off). So, in my attempt to clean up after the tech, I removed the wheels, calipers and use the brake cleaner to wipe both sides of the rotors, sprayed the pads down real good. Once reassembled, I thought it was a good idea to bleed the old fluid out and put fresh fluid in. (I had already drained half the reservior bleeding the rears by way of gravity bleed and filled it up again) So, during reassembly, I take my c-clamp and slightly push the caliper back in...and I mean just enough to give more clearance so all the brake quiet doesn't scrape off. Then I bled the right side, then the left. Once bled, I took my can of brake clean and drenched off any fluid left from the bleeding. Now....my abs light is on. :disappoin

So, I found, through searching, a procedure to pull the DTC's...gonna try that this week, I will also turn it off and see if it comes back. I guess my main question is...and I wish I thought of this before, but aren't some abs sensors sensative to chemicals like brake cleaners? My other concern is about a comment that Rodeo02 posted about pushing the pistons back in and it ruining the abs module(which has already been replaced under recall).

George G.
06-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Well, I pulled the codes. Came up with

61- FL missing sensor signal; Sensor signal dropout.
62- FR missing sensor signal; Sensor signal dropout.

I tried to turn the ABS light off by driving a 1/2 mile below 8mph but that didn't work. Thought maybe I was sold a non ABS rotor but O'Reilly's and Goodyear(they did the labor) only shows 1 rotor. Only option is for 4WD and 2WD.

I have another question. Is the excitor ring a separate piece from the rotor? Can it be left off? When I look through the sensor hole on the backing plate, I don't see any toothed ring. Doesn't the ABS operate by picking up a pulse from the teeth? Thanks for any help.

If in fact it is a magnetic pick up...brake cleaner wouldn't hurt that right? Also, the area that I was cleaning with the brake cleaner was the area where the caliper goes so i don't think I could've gotten the sensor wet.

George G.
06-27-2005, 11:19 PM
All's well that ends well.

The ABS light turned off while the wife was out and about. I did try to turn the light off via the driving under 8mph and also tried to erase the codes by pressing the brake pedal 6 times within 3 seconds of turning the ignition switch to ON. Although the light remained on after both attempts. I wish I knew what was causing it...other than this, I didn't really do anything else.

George G.
07-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Well....I spoke too soon. The abs light came back on. I'll pull the codes again, though I sure it's the same. So how about it? Is there an excitor ring that's suppose to be mounted on the back side of the rotors? I see the sensor...usually a toothed ring is what creates the pulse reading for the ABS as well as the speed. It's been 2 weeks now since Goodyear did the labor so i doubt they still have the old rotors.

Any ideas?...anyone? :frown:

George G.
07-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Did I step on someone's toes? I could really use some thoughts here. Especially about the ABS sensors/toothed ring(if that's the set up).

C'mon, purdy please?

rodeo02
07-05-2005, 01:45 PM
George, There should be an exciter ring of some sorts visible thru the optical sensor hole in the backing plate. Like you say, no ring = no signal. I'm pretty sure the ring is built into the inside of the rotors on my 2002, but the brakes are different on the 2002-2004 rodeos (floating rotors). The only other thing I can think of is the tips of the front sensors are dirty from the spray stuff and are not getting a clean signal.
Dirty fluid pushed into the ABS module would cause other codes than loss of sensor signal, so I wouldn't sweat that.
G/luck
Joel

iskiuskiweski
07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes there should be a toothed ring, I had mine disentigrate on me when I got a peice of gravel up in there. Made a horrible noise like the wheel bearing had gone out. You should be able to see it if they put back on when changing the rotors.

But to answer your question, it is a seperate part that bolts on to the back side of the rotor. If they didn't remove it from the old one and put it on the new one then you will get the ABS light. I am not sure what the error codes would be. Hope this helps ya.

George G.
07-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. I went back to GY and explained the situation to them. After trying to explain to me that the ring should be part of the new rotor, he wanted to show me what he was talking about so he took me back to their pile of scrap metal and the first rotor he picks up just happen to be one with the exictor ring still bolted to it....I'm sure it's mine. Now I just gotta take it back this weekend so they can put them back on.

Add your comment to this topic!