Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 pontiac transport starts then dies

lowered96probe
06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
97 transport starts and idles for 2-3 seconds and dies. It has fuel pressure at the fuel rail and has good pressure. It does not show any codes. If you spray intake cleaner into intake it will stay running. Does not knock or make noise.

'RayMan
06-27-2005, 01:05 PM
possible problem w/ injectors

LMP
06-27-2005, 02:01 PM
WIll it die even if you train the throttle? As an easy investigation, I'd disconnect the EGR valve . A lot of idle problem are traceable to the EGR valve so better to look for this first. Always time to go for more complicated if this is proven a false lead.

lowered96probe
06-27-2005, 02:28 PM
It will start and idle perfect for about 4-6 seconds then die. You can turn the key off and try it again and it will do the same. Take the egr off and it will not start and throw up a code. Reattach it clear all code and try to start it and will start then die. If you spray stuff into the intake it will stay running fine untill you stop spraying.

Viala
06-28-2005, 05:36 AM
I had a problem like yours, it strarted well 5 seconds and after sputter , it was impossible to go on the road, so I found the code 18 and changed he camshaft sensor ( very easy) and now it is ok

haynuts
07-20-2005, 09:34 PM
I have the same code 18 and I can drive mine down the road for about a mile then it stalls. It will start after I wait 30 minutes or longer. I believe the my canshaft sensor is out also.

Very easy?? Where is it located and what is involved with replacing it? Any special tools? I like to do my own repairs but I don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Add your comment to this topic!