Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Guy......need tips 87 GTI 16V

LEAKE_DA
06-27-2005, 04:21 AM
I just bought an 87 golf gti 16v. I got it for $400, but the front is wrecked and it wasnt running. The car has been sitting for about 5 years and only has 68000 miles on it.

Well I can get it to turn over but not crank. Ive changed all fluids and I checked and am getting fuel and spark. But the spark is yellow, so I think its weak. Im gonna do a full tune-up with cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. Then if that dont work, Ill try the coil.

Ok, so heres what I need. I'm needing a front bumper cover and reinforcement bar, a hood, and grill and headlights. The car has the square euro lights, but I like the quad round lights. What all do I have to change to put on this front end. And whats the difference between the stock bumper and the big bumper. Any imput would be appreciated.

PepeLuche
07-03-2005, 06:08 PM
ok. for the round headlights you will need the round radiator support,and the round headlight grille, plus the headlights.

The normal thin bumper and the big bumper should both fit onto your car, just you will need the brackets to hold them both, the thin bumpers uses the round brackets and the big bumper uses bigger brackets. I install my big bumper and i didn't had the brackets so i just made someones out of wood and cardboard.

The bumper rebar should work with both bumpers, you will need also the turn signal lights for the big bumper. Get it at www.rockauto.com under VW-GTI-1992 Bumper, so you will get the big bumper. Is like 110 dlls shipped.

good luck with it man!

LEAKE_DA
07-04-2005, 11:08 PM
How do i know which bumper originally came on the car? It has the turn signals in the bumper support bar. And it has some sort or air spoiler or something under it.

PepeLuche
07-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Your car came with an original thin bumper and the rear spoiler u can just unbolt it out.

Get the big bumper from a 92 and take the spoiler out, i also take the molding off so it looks ok to me.

check this link out
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/861289

thats after i put the big bumper.
the lights will bolt to the bumper so no problemo with the signal's

Add your comment to this topic!