Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

is my isuzu really a isuzu

D-FOSSE
06-26-2005, 08:50 PM
someone told me (a machanic who changed my oil) that my stock 1995 honda passport engine was really a chevy he said that chevy bought isuzu is this true now i do have parts with GM lables

Cat Fuzz
06-26-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure on this, but I think GM designed and built the engine for Isuzu. I'm pretty sure that GM doesn't actually use the 3.2L in any of their vehicles. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ramblin Fever
06-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Yes, you do have "parts" with GM labels, but your engine is an Isuzu 3.2L V6 SOHC 24valve.

I had a 91 Isuzu, with the Chevy 3.1L V6.

The 91-92's were Chevy 3.1L

93-95 were Isuzu 3.2L with 175HP

95.5-97 were Isuzu 3.2L with 190HP

All have Chevy/GM parts, as well as Isuzu.

rodeo02
06-27-2005, 05:30 AM
Rambin is right on :cheers: Nice list BTW.
Isuzu has been a testing (sometimes dumping) grounds for GM/Delphi systems for many years. A cheap and easy way for GM to put systems thru real world testing w/out associated them with a GM brand. You'll find many GM/delphi parts on your isuzu/honda, but the 3.2L is (was) an isuzu design. As it looks so far, the last year for the 3.2L was 2004. :crying:
G/luck
Joel

D-FOSSE
06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
thanks guys i was really wondering

T39
06-28-2005, 04:02 PM
To the best of my knowledge Isuzu is part of GM and has been for a number of years. If you take the Rodeo for example, it is sold all over the world under different names: in Europe (except for the UK) it is sold as an Opel Frontera, in the UK it is known as the Vauxhall Frontera, and there are some more varieties. Isuzu, like Opel and Vauxhall are part of the GM concern. Just a little info there for ya :)

megavolt121
06-28-2005, 04:22 PM
To the best of my knowledge Isuzu is part of GM and has been for a number of years. If you take the Rodeo for example, it is sold all over the world under different names: in Europe (except for the UK) it is sold as an Opel Frontera, in the UK it is known as the Vauxhall Frontera, and there are some more varieties. Isuzu, like Opel and Vauxhall are part of the GM concern. Just a little info there for ya :)

Actually to be technically correct, GM only owns a controlling interest in Isuzu. This is why they stopped making the Rodeo and Trooper and replaced is with that POS Chevy vehicle

tomlcollins
06-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Let me go ahead and add some fuel to the fire for all you "Chevy/GM Haters" out there. I always think it's funny when Isuzu owners complain about Chevy considering how many GM parts Isuzu vehicles contain.

For those of you who don't know yet, Isuzu is adopting the Colorado...
check the link

http://www.isuzu.com/index.jsp#

A few of you know I've been a little annoyed with my Rodeo lately, so I personally love this because I now have the option to buy a Colorado at thousands less with a longer warranty.

Cat Fuzz
06-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I think its somewhat irrational to hate a certain make of vehicle. My father is a "FORD'S ONLY!!" kind of guy. He annoys me. I have a Ford vehicle (Mercury), a Chevy truck and the Rodeo. In the past I have owned air-cooled VW's, a 1980 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi), a 1978 AMC Matador (an ugly car but FAST and reliable), a 1990 Plymouth Sundance, a 77 Monte Carlo and a 94 Saturn SL1. None of these cars gave me any more trouble than any of the others. In fact the Saturn now belongs to my next door neighbor and it now has 210,000 miles on it and shows no signs of crapping out. Thats a GM vehicle, btw. :naughty:

rodeo02
06-30-2005, 09:28 PM
...For those of you who don't know yet, Isuzu is adopting the Colorado...
check the link

http://www.isuzu.com/index.jsp#

Yes, and it's a shame. The Colorado and all the rebadged versions have nice engines & drivetrains, but the flimsiest body panels and cheeziest interior materials I've seen in a LONG time. A guy I work with has one, and dented in a front fender by just leaning against it! and he's not a heavy guy at all :shakehead .
G/luck
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!