Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Re: Why change oil every 4 months?

Uleesis
06-26-2005, 07:33 PM
I have a 1999 Landcruiser that I seldom use . The manufacturer's "Scheduled Maintenance Guide (Special Operating Conditions)" say that change oil every 5000 miles or 4 months. Why should I change oil if I put only 2000 miles on my last oil change. I am totally lost with this "months" oil change requirement , "miles" oil change make sense to me. Please help.. Thanks

cranemen1
06-28-2005, 09:55 AM
I have a 1999 Landcruiser that I seldom use . The manufacturer's "Scheduled Maintenance Guide (Special Operating Conditions)" say that change oil every 5000 miles or 4 months. Why should I change oil if I put only 2000 miles on my last oil change. I am totally lost with this "months" oil change requirement , "miles" oil change make sense to me. Please help.. Thanks The oil change is needed due to the water and other impuritys in oil. You must drive the car till it warms up to keep moister out.One thing to remember that the oil is the life blood of your engine. It keeps friction down which reduces the wear. It is cheeper to replace oil than a engine. Clean oil is the why to go. If in dought change oil.

bob stone
06-28-2005, 11:08 AM
also look at it like this, if you had a bottle of coke you opened and drank some of it, would you leave it sitting for 4 monthes then drink the rest, it is just saying that if you drive 5k miles in 3 weeks change you oil, if like you did "drive 2k miles in 4 months" you are going past the optimal life time of the oil with it just sitting in you car, it is not deffintaly bad but like cranemen1 said , change oil or change engine, your choice, right now you wont see much if you go over the time limit, 2 - 4 years down the road (maby sooner ) you will see an effect of not taking car of motor oil changes as per your car specs. also a bounses, if you take your car to a dealer ship or auto shop to change oil, keep your recipets for that matter keep all recipets that have to do with your car , when you sell car you can make a better sale by showing whoever is buying it a how well it was taken care of.

Uleesis
06-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Thank you very much for replies... now I have another question.. lets assume that I warmed up the car long enough to removed the condensation & filter some impurities (also it charges the battery at the same time) without driving it. Do I still need to replace the oil every 4 months especially if it is a "synthetic" oil?

Xray2002
07-24-2005, 12:44 PM
companys they would not let you change the oil at all to replace the engine every 5 years .
am changeing the oil and oil filter every 3000 miles which keep my engine in good condtion for many years

Add your comment to this topic!