Page updated on 07-22-2018

Results of dyno run

00'Civic SR
04-21-2002, 08:35 AM
Yesterday I had the car tested on a dyno. The figures are pretty good.

max power: 103.5 Bhp
max torque: 96.0 lb ft

My engine is the D14Z2 and at stock it 90 Bhp.

Only problem is a flat spot for torque at 4300 rpm. The engineer thinks it might be the AEM CAI. He believes the air filter is too far away from the throttle body. Anybody have any ideas on this?

bracer
04-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Those are pretty good numbers!
Strange comment from your engineer though, normally the longer the intake tube the more torque, and a air filter placed directly on the throttle body will give you more hp (as long as the engine is cold). At least that's what I read everywhere on the net, and I've read a bunch of intake "info" believe me :D
Ah well, if the CAI gives you a decent gain on the whole powerband, who cares for a little flat spot right?

Goosse
04-21-2002, 11:14 AM
Nice results out of the 1.4l, I'm curieus how much hp my car delivers.

Ah wel 1.4l Rulezzzzzzzzz:D :finger:

Veetec
04-21-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by bracer
Those are pretty good numbers!
Strange comment from your engineer though, normally the longer the intake tube the more torque, and a air filter placed directly on the throttle body will give you more hp (as long as the engine is cold). At least that's what I read everywhere on the net, and I've read a bunch of intake "info" believe me :D
Ah well, if the CAI gives you a decent gain on the whole powerband, who cares for a little flat spot right? IMO a filter placed directly on the throttle body would actually steal you a lot of horsepower because 1. it would suck in the hot air from the engine bay and 2. there has to be kind of a special air circulation which isnīt available this way and some other problems which I canīt explain in english ( :rolleyes: ). I think you mean that a CAI will give you better high-end power while a short ram would give you better short-end power (when engine is cold). But Iīm also not 100% sure about all this! :D

bracer
04-21-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Veetec
IMO a filter placed directly on the throttle body would actually steal you a lot of horsepower because 1. it would suck in the hot air from the engine bay and 2. there has to be kind of a special air circulation which isnīt available this way and some other problems which I canīt explain in english ( :rolleyes: ). I think you mean that a CAI will give you better high-end power while a short ram would give you better short-end power (when engine is cold). But Iīm also not 100% sure about all this! :D

What I meant was that an intake placed directly on the throttle body like you see with some K&N kits would give you some high end power but will offcourse suck in hot air that's why I said with a cold engine wich is useless anyway because your nuts if you 'race' with a cold engine.
And with a long intake tube you will also gain some hp but mainly torque which translates in better engine 'pick up' after shifting.
I'm not stating these things as facts just as things I've read and some through experience during my "how to make your own CAI" quest round the net :D
But we all know we are talking about minimum power gains here.

I hope I haven't started another intake discussion because those discussions tend to become looong ;)

Fightin'Irish
04-22-2002, 02:09 AM
You must be happy enough with that!
Was it a good day?

I can't get into Maxed for some reason :(

Veetec
04-22-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by bracer

What I meant was that an intake placed directly on the throttle body like you see with some K&N kits would give you some high end power but will offcourse suck in hot air that's why I said with a cold engine wich is useless anyway because your nuts if you 'race' with a cold engine.
And with a long intake tube you will also gain some hp but mainly torque which translates in better engine 'pick up' after shifting.
I'm not stating these things as facts just as things I've read and some through experience during my "how to make your own CAI" quest round the net :D
But we all know we are talking about minimum power gains here.

I hope I haven't started another intake discussion because those discussions tend to become looong ;) IMO we should discuss this till the end!! :D

Kohhal
04-22-2002, 05:50 AM
Nice numbers Darren, very impressive. Where'd you get the dyno done and how much? I haven't been able to get into Maxed for weeks either :confused:

00'Civic SR
04-22-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by TheMasterG
Nice numbers Darren, very impressive. Where'd you get the dyno done and how much? I haven't been able to get into Maxed for weeks either :confused:
Got it done in Westward Precision Engineering in Enfield. Cost was €50 but it was a Maxed event and there was approx 25 cars put on the rollers. I think we got a discount because of the numbers going.

Originally posted by Fightin'Irish
You must be happy enough with that!
Was it a good day?

I can't get into Maxed for some reason
It was a very good day. Highlights for me where the Civic 1.6VTi putting out 173 Bhp with just an exhaust mod. Sound of this car was unbelievable. Also the Supra twin turbo putting out 330 Bhp was pretty good :D

BTW Maxed is working ok for me. Not sure what the problem could be. Maybe try this URL (http://blinkin.phpwebhosting.com/~rboyz/forums/) to get in.

AccordCE8
04-22-2002, 11:17 AM
it seems to be good figures... are that bhp's at the wheels or of the engine?
What i've always heard the bhp's measured at the wheels is much less than the engine bhp's.

Add your comment to this topic!