18 MPG HWY & 200 MPT (tank) City

bighops2000
06-26-2005, 02:41 AM
This sucks unless Im on a road trip is this normal and what can be done about this gas is way too high to spend 41 bucks every 200 or so miles

marcre
06-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I wish I was geting 18mpg. The best Iv'e ever got with my Rodeo was 17.5, and I was excited. I have been trying gas treatments, engine cleaners and I check my tires every weak.

Cat Fuzz
06-26-2005, 08:57 PM
18 on the highway is pretty good for a Rodeo. I got about 16 last time I checked. City driving is highly variable and also depends on your driving habits.

Ramblin Fever
06-26-2005, 09:20 PM
21-22 highway/17-18 city.

Funniest thing though, I can get 24-25 pulling the I-70 corridor over loveland pass; but I can't get 23 mpg to save my life on a flat highway.

I do have a load-warrior luggage rack, pushbar, and slightly oversized tires. Before I had the rack put on, I was doing 19 in town.

Light on the throttle, running fairly moderate pressure in tires, and I keep the truck empty inside 80% of the time.

I use 87 octane, and my air filter gets changed every 6 months.

Ramblin Fever
06-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Forgot to ask, you're getting roughly 10-11 mpg in town?

My gas tank is a 21.9 gallon on a 97 Rodeo, I'm figuring your 200 miles off a 20 gallon tank??

Man, I'd be upset to, if I was only getting 200 per tank, something seems off.

Having any trouble with anything?

D-FOSSE
06-26-2005, 09:36 PM
man i used to get 13 in town but i have a 4x4 with 33" mud tiers i tried furl injection cleaner and it improved my mpg to about 16 and i have better accelration

Cat Fuzz
06-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Having any trouble with anything?

Maybe keeping his foot out of it? :evillol:

j/k

Actually, not pulling wheelies when the light goes green saves ALOT of fuel. If your pressing the throttle down more than halfway, your wasting gas.

bighops2000
06-26-2005, 11:00 PM
i accelerate at a normal rate. its not like i get thrown back into the seat or anything. my tire are 265 45 r 20 and the speedometer is off my about 5 mph at 30mph

anthonyn
06-27-2005, 12:11 AM
This sucks unless Im on a road trip is this normal and what can be done about this gas is way too high to spend 41 bucks every 200 or so miles

I really don't see how you can get 18mpg freeway and 10 mpg in the city. How are you determining that you run out of gas after 200 miles?

If you really are getting 10mpg in the city, then I'd replace the oxygen sensor. If you are also burning oil, then you need to clean the combustion chamber using seafoam. I did this recently and it added about 2mpg in mostly city driving. Also, my oil consumption has virtually stopped. Guess the theory about too few drain holes in the rings was true after all.

amigo-2k
06-27-2005, 12:23 AM
If you have larger tires you have to take that into consideration when doing your calculation.

The only thing that will help your MPG is a tune up. Plugs, filters, clean the injectors and so on.

Keep inmind you are driving a brick and it is not very aerodynamic.

another option is K+N air filter. They seem to help on the HYW but many have worse MPG in the city.

Ramblin Fever
06-27-2005, 12:36 AM
i accelerate at a normal rate. its not like i get thrown back into the seat or anything. my tire are 265 45 r 20 and the speedometer is off my about 5 mph at 30mph

Those are some big wheels.

Anytime you change OEM wheels/tires (size wise) that's gonna reflect for sure.

You say your speedo's off; mine is to, by about 4%. I'm running LT245/75 16's rather then OEM P225/75 16's.

When I calculate my mileage, I add the 4% to my total mileage when figuring gas mileage. Are you remembering to do this?

Ramblin Fever
06-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Maybe keeping his foot out of it? :evillol:

j/k

:lol2: :naughty:

bighops2000
06-27-2005, 01:53 AM
I have the k and n intake and filter and yes i didnt always get 18 mpg. it used to be worse but ill check the o2 sensor out but for the most part i filled up and resest the trip odometer i drove around doing busy work through the town and at 174 mils i have a quarter tank and at 197 i got gas as soon as the light came on so i had a few miles left. Ive gone a long way with that light on before and trust me i had more than 3 miles left. (terrible for your car)

Canucklehead
06-27-2005, 06:47 AM
I have the k and n intake and filter and yes i didnt always get 18 mpg. it used to be worse but ill check the o2 sensor out but for the most part i filled up and resest the trip odometer i drove around doing busy work through the town and at 174 mils i have a quarter tank and at 197 i got gas as soon as the light came on so i had a few miles left. Ive gone a long way with that light on before and trust me i had more than 3 miles left. (terrible for your car)

How many gallons did it take when you filled up after 197 mi. on the trip meter?

Ramblin Fever
06-27-2005, 10:00 AM
IMHO, if it took 16 gallons or more to fill it back up, after only 197 miles even in town, there's a problem.

Personally, I'd have to take out that K&N filter, they're not so great mileage wise in town. Put in a Napa Gold air filter, they are equivalent to the OEM filters and they're thick!

If spark plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve haven't been changed/checked in the last 30K or so, have them checked/changed.

What viscosity of oil are you running?

These trucks call for 5w-30 or 10w-30, some owners experiment outside the box and go with say 10w-40, this will have an effect on mileage.

Driving a stick or automatic? Are either slipping?

Last, but surely not least, if your O2 sensors have been replaced, there's only a couple of other things I can think of, i.e. rims/tires, and/or cat maybe going out, and the truck's having to work harder.

Did you just recently put on the 20" rims? Or have they been on before the gas mileage issues?

If they've just been installed, I'd personally have to take them off - your truck's getting worse mileage then an old '79 Chevy 3/4 ton truck I grew up with, and it carried an 11' cabover camper.

Ramblin Fever
06-27-2005, 10:01 AM
IMHO, if it took 16 gallons or more to fill it back up, after only 197 miles even in town, there's a problem.

Personally, I'd have to take out that K&N filter, they're not so great mileage wise in town. Put in a Napa Gold air filter, they are equivalent to the OEM filters and they're thick!

If spark plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve haven't been changed/checked in the last 30K or so, have them checked/changed.

These trucks call for 5w-30 or 10w-30, some owners experiment outside the box and go with say 10w-40, this will have an effect on mileage.

Last, but surely not least, if your O2 sensors have been replaced, there's only a couple of other things I can think of, i.e. rims/tires, and/or cat maybe going out, and the truck's having to work harder.

Did you just recently put on the 20" rims? Or have they been on before the gas mileage issues?

If they've just been installed, I'd personally have to take them off - your truck's getting worse mileage then an old '79 Chevy 3/4 ton truck I grew up with, and it carried an 11' cabover camper.

Ramblin Fever

Ramblin Fever

iskiuskiweski
06-27-2005, 11:24 AM
17 city/ 20-21 highway for me, I hardly ever let the rpm's go over 2500, this is key for me. If I start to go over 2500 then my mileage goes down pretty quick.

bighops2000
06-28-2005, 02:37 PM
i use 5 qt of the pennziol high milage and 1 qt of marvel mystery oil to work on the tick and at the 197 mile fillup i didnt pay attention to how many gallons i got b/c i was frustrated

iskiuskiweski
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
i use 5 qt of the pennziol high milage and 1 qt of marvel mystery oil to work on the tick and at the 197 mile fillup i didnt pay attention to how many gallons i got b/c i was frustrated

One thing that worries me here is that you are over filling your truck by a quart. I have heard of people having this cause leaks and other problems. If you search through the oil cunsumption threads you will see what I am talking about.

tomlcollins
06-28-2005, 03:34 PM
One thing that worries me here is that you are over filling your truck by a quart. I have heard of people having this cause leaks and other problems. If you search through the oil cunsumption threads you will see what I am talking about.

iskiuskiweski not only has reason to be worried, but has also found a major part of his mileage problem. The Isuzu dealer overfilled my Rodeo by about a quart once and I lost about 3 mpg immediately. Overfilling your oil not only kills your seals but drastically effects your gas mileage.

I don't get great mileage either (19.5 hwy, 16.5 city). As a matter of fact I would consider it pitiful (especially for a two wheel drive vehicle!)if anything. I was actually going to sell mine b/c the mileage combined with the fact that I have to use mid-high grade gas to stop it from pinging was driving me nuts. However, I'm getting ready to invest in some land so I'm going to suck it up for another year or so before I can get a used 4x4 Colorado (23 hwy, 19 city)with low mileage that's still under warrranty.

Canucklehead
06-28-2005, 04:28 PM

I don't see how 6 quarts is a quart too much. First Gen 3.2s take 5.7 quarts.

iskiuskiweski
06-28-2005, 04:35 PM

Didn't realize that's what he had, didn't check his profile, and I don't know about the first generations. So you may be right and I may be crazy.

DCMoose48
06-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I got my 94 Rodeo in March and have been looking at this forum since. I'm always interested in the mpg numbers I see here since I actually got mine because of the gas mileage. It's a 4cyl manual trans with 230k miles showing (and about another 75k not showing according to prev owner) and I get about 22 mpg in everyday driving (mostly highway anyway) and got 25.5 mpg on my last long distance road trip. The only thing is that my a/c compressor is disconnected so I'm assuming that improved the mpg a lot. The 22/25 mpg definitely beats the 11/15 I get on my Ram Van.

Canucklehead
06-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Didn't realize that's what he had, didn't check his profile, and I don't know about the first generations. So you may be right and I may be crazy.

I wouldn't know the capacity of a 2nd Gen. although I would have assumed it to be the same. :bigthumb:

When I change my oil I usually put 6 quarts in for the first fill. the extra third of a quart doesn't even show on the dipstick.

johnsm
06-28-2005, 08:12 PM

I would check your owners manual. You may be confusing the intial factory fill quanity(when there is absolutely no oil in the engine) with the regular oil change quantity.
My owners manual states both quanities.

John

2000 Rodeo v6

Cat Fuzz
06-28-2005, 09:20 PM
I put six quarts in mine every oil change. No problems.

anthonyn
06-28-2005, 09:40 PM
It's all a moot issue if you use the dipstick. Pour in 5 quarts, then use the dipstick to top off. There's usually a bit left in the 6th quart for me.

bighops2000
06-29-2005, 12:44 AM
yeah i dont have a burning oil problem my oil always stays at the same level and it doesnt smoke (only after being parked for 2-3 days with no crank) but i was doing 5 quarts then the isuzu tech told me i was a quart shy so i may get engine noise. I havent had any problems using six. i have a 95' 3.2 v6

Ramblin Fever
06-29-2005, 01:13 AM
Agreed, the 5.7 qts IS the correct amount for filter/oil change for 1st Gen. Nothing wrong with putting in 6 qts though, have done it before too.

Factory fill was/is 6 qts as well, I believe, not looking at the book right now though.

My .02 get rid of that High mileage oil, maybe adding to the ticking rather then helping. Reason I'm saying this, is I tried it myself 2 weeks ago, good gosh it brought out a tick from h$$$.

I've since learned that high mileage oils are somewhat thicker and may "add" to the problem rather then help.

Sounds weird I know, but if you don't have an oil burning issue what I would do is find a good 5w-30 oil and a filter that you know won't "add" to the tick, for me it's an Isuzu filter. Run it for a week, drain it and refill again with 5w-30, don't add anything but oil, may take a few days but I have noticed a difference - it's QUIETER!

If you're running high mileage oil, irregardless if it's 10w-30 or 10w-40 you WILL burn more gas, a regular 10w-30 uses 1-1 1/2 more mpg for me then the 5w-30 has so far.

I didn't pay any attention to gas mileage for the week of running the High mileage 10w-30 oil, I was so concentrated on the "noises" that I could of cared less what my gas gauge was showing.

The issue with the ticking is the lifters not getting enough oil, running a thicker oil, i.e. high mileage, 10w-40, or the like will not help, IMHO.

Although the added detergents were tempting; which was my main idea into trying the HM oil.

I too am fighting this and experimenting and I will keep the board posted.

This Friday I'm going to follow the TSB (technical service bulletin) that was put out by Isuzu some years back for the "tick".

iskiuskiweski
06-29-2005, 12:47 PM
With my 98, it is only 5 quarts, when I do my changes I put in 4 and 1/2, start it let the filter fill up then dump the rest in. That puts me right at the top mark everytime.

amigo-2k
06-29-2005, 12:55 PM
I usally put in 5, run it for 2-3 minutes and then put in about 1 cup more.

When I drain my oil I jack up the drivers side to get under it, and then let it back down when it is mostly drained to get that last cup or so out of the pan due to the angle.

bighops2000
06-29-2005, 01:44 PM
i never thought about the tilt. i just let it keep draining until it stops. I would imagine that the residue that settles on the bottom would still be left in the oil without totally draining everylast drop. how much are the filters from the dealership. and i guess I'll switch to a thinner pennzoil.

Add your comment to this topic!