Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad Lifters?

dlskiier
06-26-2005, 01:00 AM
OK, my engine, 4.0L 6 cylinder 2000 Wrangler, was making a horrible racket so I took it in and they replaced my lifters, and it fixed the problem. I won’t tell a DIY crowd how much it cost but my question is why. I baby this thing, it only has 25K miles on it, no high revving, very minimal off-roading, no extreme driving what so ever. I just want to make sure it doesn’t happen again $$$. I actually wonder if I don’t drive it enough – get the oil moving around.

CanaMark
06-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Could be a defective rig right off the manufacturing line. It is a heep however. Unless it comes right outta japan/china, and right off the boat, american rigs will always be less quality. HOWEVER, parts/labor costs less on our rigs then theirs.

fredjacksonsan
06-27-2005, 07:55 AM
The lifters in the engine are "pumped up" by oil pressure. If they're not pre-filled before running the engine the first time, they can be damaged. This may have been what happened with yours, a bad day at the factory or something.

I wouldn't worry about it, things should be good to go from here on. However, if the same thing happens again I'd suspect a different problem and would ask them for a new engine.

Make sure that the warranty is extended also, from the date of repair. Don't know if this is possible, but worth it to ask.

Add your comment to this topic!