What are the best ways to lower your civic?

Most-Hi
06-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeh mon its me again. Being the new comer to this whole car thing i am trying to get some advise on the best ways to lower my civic. Remeber i am a newbie so i would really appreciate any advise you guys have. i am trying to go for a good look but with the comfort if possible.

CivicSpoon
06-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Buy shocks and springs :dunno: What exactly do you mean by "What are the best ways to lower your civic?" Are you looking for some specific brand names or what?

Most-Hi
06-25-2005, 06:47 PM
my bad i should have said what are the best brands

Exempt
06-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Best way is a set of coil overs... A true coil over set is expensive, they come with shocks and springs, and they work very well together because they were designed to work with each other... And they are asjustable... The peice you adjust is build onto the shock/strut...

Coil over set:
http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/2k_kw.jpg

Another less, expensive way, is a set of coil covers, these are springs that are short and come with an adjustable perch, so you can raise and lower them...

Heres a pic of coil covers:
http://www.carstereomasters.com/images/Coil%20Covers/APC%201990-97%20Accord%20Coilover.jpg

The spring sits on that perch, which sits ontop of your shock or strut...

As I said, they are cheaper than a full set, but you have to find a nice set of shocks/struts that will work together with them well...

As for brands:

Tein
Skunk2
Ground Control
H&R
Eibach

Im sure theres more... But those are the main ones I can think of right now...

Most-Hi
06-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks but is coil overs the only option?

Exempt
06-25-2005, 06:54 PM
No, not at all... You can get lowering springs, but they are a set rate... If you dont like the stance, theres nothing you can do to change it, short of buying a new set... They are good if u know exactly how much of a drop you want... And are probably more comfortable than coil overs...

Most-Hi
06-25-2005, 06:59 PM
cuz i was told that due to the weight of the car (not so heavy) coil overs would ride to bummy if you know what i mean & lower end springs would be better. So i want a second opinion

Hybrid1990crx
06-25-2005, 08:24 PM
just get a torche and heat those fuckers up LOL. jk.

Get a strut that is designed for the drop you intend to get, it would be a big waste of money to put on 3 inch drop spings on a strut that can only handle 2 at the max and blow them out in a month or so.

Exempt
06-25-2005, 11:16 PM
cuz i was told that due to the weight of the car (not so heavy) coil overs would ride to bummy if you know what i mean & lower end springs would be better. So i want a second opinion

Well, I 'inherited' a set of Drop Zone coil overs (came on the car), and Tokico blue shocks, and no matter what height I set it too, its bouncy as hell! So this is probably true... But im not sure if its the brand, cuz they are a pretty cheap set...

BullShifter
06-26-2005, 12:52 AM
just get a torche and heat those fuckers up LOL. jk.

Get a strut that is designed for the drop you intend to get, it would be a big waste of money to put on 3 inch drop spings on a strut that can only handle 2 at the max and blow them out in a month or so.
Low quality sleeves will do that.

First thing, don't be cheap with suspension. If your just looking to lower the car, coilovers are overkill. Still nice to have if you want to spend the extra $$$ and time setting them up right.

I suggest no more than 1.75" of lowering for street use, any thing lower is *usually* a pretty poor ride. H&R are makes very good springs for the $$$$ www.tirerack.com Any time you lower a car the struts should be upgraded, i suggest at least Tokico Blues. KYB AGX, Tokico Illumina, or Koni yellow would be the best choices.

Stay around the 1.75" drop and camber won't really be an issue, any thing more will require camber kits.

2 things many people tend to forget when lowering a car.
1. ALIGNMENT
2. Cut the bump stops in half and obviously only use one half - top half.

Other than that, check out the suspension forum. Your question has been covered many times.

Add your comment to this topic!