Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

duplicolor primer?!?

white97ex
06-25-2005, 10:03 AM
ok. thus far i have sworn by duplicolor paints. simply because of their ease of use. with the beginning of all of hte body mods that i have been doing, and the way this etches the plastic, it shows everything that was EVER there. right now im using some cheap color place to do my body work on the c5 vette pro mod im working on. keep in mind i dont have any hobby shops close by, does anyone know of any alternatives?

freakmech
06-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Have you tried this Dupli-color primer? in past past few months i was unable to get Tamiya or Gunze primer due to labelling issues. so i tried every automotive primer out there and this was the best for me. it was the most like Gunze 500 or Tamiya regular. you need to apply it in many mist coats but the final results are almost as good as the Japanese paints. its very even, some what smooth, and is availible at Wal-mart etc... it dries fast as well. the down side is that its so dark and requires a base coat before final color if using a light color. also maybe try using lighter grit sand paper. 2000 grit by 3M is availiable at Wal-mart as well.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/77057dupli-med.jpg

Jaymes
06-25-2005, 01:48 PM
I've picked up Duplicolor gray and white recently and tried them out, and I have to say that it's the best primer i've ever used (never used Tamiya or Gunze before though). The spray is very fine and the surface dries nice and soft and even. There is also no reaction with the plastic.

Macdaddy4738
06-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Duplicolor primer rocks!! Best ive used!

i actually used it as the base coat on this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Macdaddy4738/Tank1.jpg

tigeraid
06-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Personally I hate duplicolor primer... it seemed to cover very poorly... so far I've had great success with regular Tamiya primer, with duplicolor on top, and then regular Tamiya or Testors clear.

dolittle67
06-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I use the duplicolor primer through my airbrush. I decant both the white and grey from the cans and mix them both together to give a lighter grey ( good when using a light colour basecoat) . Using the airbrush allows me to get very light smooth coats.

g00eY
06-25-2005, 09:03 PM
at first i had trouble with Duplicolor. but then i figured out that it was simply because the paint wasn't mixed well. i fixed this by placing the can in water that was hot(but not hot enough to burn my hand) and then shaking the can. i would have to say it's a pretty good primer, though i wouldn't know cuz it's the only one i have used on plastic models.

CrossRamZ28
06-25-2005, 10:17 PM
I just started using that Duplicolor primer pictured above and it is pretty good. I used it to prime my current project ('69 Camaro Z28) and it goes on well. Very dark, looked badass!

Then I screwed everything up when I sprayed the Tamiya... on it's way to a Dot3 bath now!

Jaymes
06-25-2005, 11:49 PM
how long do you guys leave the primer to dry before applying the paint?

RallyRaider
06-26-2005, 12:00 AM
I've started using Duplicolor Etch Promer for metal parts. Not sure if the formulations we have in Australia are the same as the US and other parts of the world. But that stuff is excellent, really gets into the metal and so far has never scratched off or chipped. Not really anything to do with the question of the thread by my two cents FWIW. :)

Don't guys in the US say good things about Krylon (or however it's spelt)?

white97ex
06-26-2005, 12:01 AM
with the duplicolor it typically flashes within 15 minutes and can be recoated. now as far as sanding you want to give it a while longer. dont get me wrong, i have sworn by the duplicolor system, i have just been getting "ghosts" of my body work. if i fill something. there is still and outline of what i filled......is there a way to eliminate this? anyone having the same or have had the same problem?

RallyRaider
06-26-2005, 12:17 AM
I get that too, it just means you haven't blended in the surface enough. Brush painting a bit more primer then sanding back before repriming fixes it for me. If you're using the primer to fill in surface imperfections you would also be filling in detail.

Whumbachumba
06-26-2005, 12:56 AM
how long do you guys leave the primer to dry before applying the paint?

When I use krylon for my bases, I leave it 15-20 minutes between coats and spray 2-3 coats for it. Then I'll wait 30-60 minutes before i put on a layer of paint, but I have my own problem about not taking time when painting and making one wet coat, occasionally a heaving mist then a wet coat.

In fact, i totally effed up my nomad today because I layed down a really wet coat of paint, so, this'll be my first time to dip it in DOT3 if I can't sand it down and give it some mist coats to clean it up. Let's hope for the best.

CrossRamZ28
06-26-2005, 01:47 AM
That's the same issue I had on my Camaro. I got to laying down the first wet coat after all my mists had gone well, but I just started spraying and couldn't stop.... No, no, no! Let go of the trigger, self, you're ruining it! Nooo nooo it's too wet! it's too wet!!! it's running. nooooooooo!

I don't know what happened to me. I just couldn't stop. :(

Add your comment to this topic!