Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check Engine After BBk Throttle body install

pimplishus
06-25-2005, 01:49 AM
After I installed the BBk my check engine light is on and rpm's are up. Can someone help.

Severity
06-25-2005, 03:40 AM
maybe. first, what kind/year veh, kind/year motor. second, we need to check the code your getting. if this is a civic or integra there should be a (i believe) blue connector under the right side dash, to the right of the glove box, if you stick your hand up there you should feel some wires, its up there, then take some wire or something metal and stick it into both slots on the blue connector to short it out. then turn on the ignition. the check engine light will flash in a pattern, that pattern will indicate what is going wrong.

FYI, since i have this particular CEL myself i will give you this error now, if it flashes 7 times in a row, short flashes, it usually means a throttle position sensor, at least on a b series'ish motor.

find out how many flashes the cel gives and you should find your problem.

pimplishus
06-25-2005, 04:04 AM
okay 01 integra ls. im pretty sure it's the tps. but how do i fix it?? I'm running a zex nos kit now and i don't want to blow anything up.

Severity
06-28-2005, 04:22 PM
well, you could try putting the old tb back on and see if it goes away, then you would know the bbk was poopy. make sure to clear the ecu if you swap the tb, just pull the back up fuse in the fusebox under the hood for 10 seconds at least. if the prob doesn't go away, you might have to check the wiring with a multimeter. i replaced my tb and my cel went away. and i passed deq. hell yeah.

jcrx
06-29-2005, 03:57 PM
well, you could try putting the old tb back on and see if it goes away, then you would know the bbk was poopy.
Not nescessarily, could have goofed something on hte install, MAP? TPS? have the code pulled, and go from there.

Severity
06-29-2005, 06:47 PM
he is getting a CEL for the TP sensor. ok, did you completely scrape all of the old gasket off and put on a brand new one? both surfaces have to be smooth as a baby's bottom, if its not that could cause an issue. does the TB have an electrical connection like the old one? that is the TP sensor. it should be on the side that faces the firewall. maybe its just not connected or maybe the wiring is bad, get a service manual for your engine. tb installs are very easy, i doubt it is an install issue.

pimplishus
06-30-2005, 11:57 AM
okay thanks everyone i figured it out. the tps voltage was way off. i got a meter i tightened it right and now i'm good as gold

Running 14.1 whoo hooooo

Add your comment to this topic!