Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alero Front Struts

NJFrank
06-25-2005, 01:29 AM
Okay pretty simple questions I hope.

The stock Struts are shot at 70K miles, so I need to replace them (2002 w 3.4 motor).

To replace them is this a DIY job, or a major PITA, not worth doing.

What are the best/ reccomended replacement Struts, Monroe, KYB other?

Is an alignment needed afterwards, or will the replacement self align?

I ask this because a See the KYB GR2's online for $60.00 ea. The Local Big shops are looking at Monroes at $80.00 ea, + 100.00 install charge and alignment another $70.00. Total $330.00.

Is this a fair price to have them installed? Or is this something that is a reasonable DIY job.

Thanks

BNaylor
06-25-2005, 01:58 AM
Okay pretty simple questions I hope.

The stock Struts are shot at 70K miles, so I need to replace them (2002 w 3.4 motor).

To replace them is this a DIY job, or a major PITA, not worth doing.

What are the best/ reccomended replacement Struts, Monroe, KYB other?

Is an alignment needed afterwards, or will the replacement self align?

I ask this because a See the KYB GR2's online for $60.00 ea. The Local Big shops are looking at Monroes at $80.00 ea, + 100.00 install charge and alignment another $70.00. Total $330.00.

Is this a fair price to have them installed? Or is this something that is a reasonable DIY job.

Thanks

Its a reasonble DIY job but you'll need special tools like a strut coil spring compressor. We installed Monroe Reflex (front) on a '02 Alero GL2 3.4L and it was about a 2 hour job. The KYB GR2s are good struts and I use them on my GTP.

The installation and alignment charge is typical but you'll save money if you DIY.

The alignment should be verified by a shop to include tracking but after a strut job I've never seen the alignment off. There is no adjustment per se. Changing the struts does not normally affect toe in or toe out and the Alero has very limited camber adjustment which is what the strut will affect. The bottom strut hole is elongated for minor camber adjustment (slop) but nothing significant. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!