98 rodeo not starting :(

mikeyg76
06-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey everyone, here is my problem. I have a 98 rodeo 4x4 and it seems to be having a problem, it will start most the time but other times it just wont start, it wont try or anything just one simple click, not engaging anything.. so i have to try around 20 times are so switching it on and off to get it to start. I was wondering if this could be the starter? or maybe the ignation (sp) swich? Thanks for your replys!

amigo-2k
06-24-2005, 08:39 PM
The first thing I would do is clean up the battery connection, and the ground points to the body and the alt bracket.

If you have the same problem it is most likely at starter problem.

Some have been buying rebuilt starters from Ebay for their +98 Rodeos.

mikeyg76
06-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks! i will check out the connections!

Cat Fuzz
06-25-2005, 05:57 PM
I have experienced this before. It is most definatly the starter. The solonoid contacts wear unevenly and when it gets to a certain point it sometimes only contacts one side instead of both. This accounts for the occasional failure. Sometimes it contacts both sides, sometimes not.

mikeyg76
06-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Is there a DIY on how to change out the starter? and how much "should" it be if i were to take it in to a shop to get fixed. Thanks for helping me out!

Spenis
07-25-2005, 10:35 AM
I am currently trying to replace the starter in my 1998 Rodeo. I have the starter removed from the bell housing and the wires are disconnected. From what I understand I now need to disconnect the exhaust from the manifold to physically remove the starter. The problem is loosening the nuts that connect the exhaust pipe. We have tried brute strength and a pneumatic gun with no luck. Any suggestions on how to loosen the nuts that holds the exhaust on???

anthonyn
07-25-2005, 11:12 AM
I am currently trying to replace the starter in my 1998 Rodeo. I have the starter removed from the bell housing and the wires are disconnected. From what I understand I now need to disconnect the exhaust from the manifold to physically remove the starter. The problem is loosening the nuts that connect the exhaust pipe. We have tried brute strength and a pneumatic gun with no luck. Any suggestions on how to loosen the nuts that holds the exhaust on???

You may be able to jack up the engine slightly to maneuver the starter out without removing the exhaust.

Spenis
08-03-2005, 08:03 AM
You may be able to jack up the engine slightly to maneuver the starter out without removing the exhaust.

Thanks for the reply!

I attempted to remove the starter by jacking up the engine, and I had had no success. My only option appears to be removing the exaust from the manifold. The problem that I have now is getting the exaust loose. I have tried a air gun and a breaker bar, and those darn nuts will not come loose. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can break the nuts loose?

Thanks in advance!

megavolt121
08-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Spray a lot of TriFlow, http://www.triflowlubricants.com/, on the nuts and let them soak. I used that stuff to get an exhaust off an 87 Suzuki Samurai

Add your comment to this topic!