Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AC recharge ?

rwgreen
06-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Got a question regarding charging the AC system on my 96 s-10. First off my AC does not turn on and hasn't turned on for over a year. The blower motor will not turn on either ( for AC and heat). Someone told me I should charge up the AC and it might kick back on. Doesn't make sense to me that it would since the blower motor doesn't seem to be working but I will try it I guess.

OK now for the question... I have the kit with the refrigerant and it says to have the the engine running with the AC set to maximum. Not being able to have the AC running, will this do any damage to the system?

OverBoardProject
06-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Does your trucks heat controls all work? If not you probably have a vaccum leak stoping your air from turning on.

I would take it to the pros to get the system filled.
Rlith swears by HotShot freon, and it's what I'll have my system filled with. It'll make your system blast colder air in.

The pro's will measure the pressure of the system and fill it up to the right specks.
And if you know the right people they might not even charge you

steveprichard
06-24-2005, 08:44 PM
I would find out why the compressor and the indoor blower isn't working first, then worry about a coolant charge. If you are low on freon, the compressor will not come on because of a low pressure safety switch, but that will not effect the blower, the blower should run anytime you turn to a/c or heat.

FYI - when everything is working like new, the a/c compressor will cycle on and off all day long, so that you don't freeze to death, but the blower fan will run continuously at any speed, so you need to consentrate on the blower motor first.

First, check your fuses and figure out why the blower isn't working, if it's not a blown fuse then check the controls, which is simple for an expert, but hard for a novice.

After doing this, you'll know what needs to be replaced/and/or/charged!!

Simple.
steve

batman19
06-27-2005, 09:08 PM
I also have A/C problem too
94 gmc
my compressor is working, and i "think" i charged up feron and my blower is working too(it will blow hot air)

BUT no cold air come out, it only give me ram air temperature when i have it on MAX cold
Can anyone help????

Add your comment to this topic!