Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint Question

carnut04
06-24-2005, 02:36 AM
I want to paint my car gloss black. I also want to clear coat it. Should I polish out the paint if theres orange peel before I clear coat it or after? Thanks

proosen
06-24-2005, 03:54 AM
Do not polish between paint layers as it could leave some ressidues on the surface that will destroy the finish for you. Just sand it with some fine grit wet and dry paper to obtain an even dull surface before the clear coats. But as it's a solid colour there really is no need for a clear coat, just put on additional coats of black instead and polish it out.

Good luck!
Niclas

sjelic
06-24-2005, 05:25 AM
That is true you will risk one more thing if you decide to clear coat and that is dust. Black is not forgiving colour if not treated clean.

klutz_100
06-24-2005, 07:56 AM
wow wierd!

I was thinking of asking the exact same question myself this morning!

I'm having a hard time getting my black Boxster to the shine I was hoping for and was wondering if I can clear it after polishing. Now I know the answer - NO!

Black is definitely a hard colour to work with in 1/24 as in 1/1 (my car is black and it looks dirty 2 hours after the carwash :) )

mickbench
06-24-2005, 08:29 AM
wow wierd!

I was thinking of asking the exact same question myself this morning!

I'm having a hard time getting my black Boxster to the shine I was hoping for and was wondering if I can clear it after polishing. Now I know the answer - NO!

Black is definitely a hard colour to work with in 1/24 as in 1/1 (my car is black and it looks dirty 2 hours after the carwash :) )

I've worked with black, and I just applied a few extra coats, and worked slowly when I was polishing the paint. It takes long time, and Tamiya Ultra Fine Compound works a treat.

Clear coat isn't needed, just lay down some extra paint - should do the trick, did for me.

Scale-Master
06-24-2005, 08:33 AM
You can clear it after it has been polished.
Make sure there is no wax residue, (if you waxed it).
You can remove it by washing with detergent and water, but I prefer to also use rubbing alcohol, the cheap diluted stuff.
It will aid adhesion if you carefully wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper, but I have done it without sanding and gotten great results... - Mark

white97ex
06-24-2005, 08:39 AM
i typically clear all of my paint. and i have polished the paint out before clear with 1500 then 2000 and followed with 3m rubbing compound. and then washing the body and have yet to have a problem

Add your comment to this topic!