Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Question

Pimpdady753
06-23-2005, 06:44 PM
ok i got a 90 mustang gt, with a 302, first how hard would it be to put in a 351, would it be the same pritty much.

Pimpdady753
06-23-2005, 06:47 PM
also would it be about the same price to get a 351 block from jegs with the cam shaft and pistons and already bored out, or just totaly get my 302 done and bored out and get new stuff, witch would you do.

83whiteramvan
06-23-2005, 10:18 PM
pretty much the same dude, blocks just a little taller make sure you have enough clearance for the hood (cowl would be good) unless you have a 82gt like me air filter sits beautifully under the scoop, also watch out for you oil pan you might need different motor mounts because the pan might sit on you rack (i just used half inch flatbar spacers) to bring it up a bit. Headers cleared nicely with my 82gt (mac 1 3/4) longtubes, but of course i used a tubular k-member and A-arms, t-5 hooked up sweet,,,, of course i heard the bullcrap about you'll need a custom bellhousing and all that,--i think thats just for a tremec. (correct me if i'm wrong i'm interested). So all in all it's just an beefier oddball 302 you should be fine.

Pimpdady753
06-24-2005, 06:52 PM
well i want to get this block, http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=249433&prmenbr=361
is the pistons and crank shaft any good,

351wStang
06-24-2005, 08:57 PM
well i want to get this block, http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=249433&prmenbr=361
is the pistons and crank shaft any good,

Its decent but you would come out cheaper with your stock block and good internals. If you are set on buying an aftermarket block I wouldnt waste my time with a Sportsman. Look at a Dart block or something. But unless you are planning on going absolutely crazy on the power side of things, your stock block with Eagle crank and rods and some decent forged pistons will save you money.

As far as the 351w swap goes I will be able to tell you first hand probably in a month, maybe 2 if my machine shop doesnt hurry up. They are a race shop that is working me in as they can and they have been covered up with their "bread and butter" work for the past 6 weeks. They are supposed to be getting my H-beam rods (probably Eagle) and Probe pistons now. They are done with my crank. So they just lack the block work now. But, back to your subject, in the new Jegs catalog in the Mustang section is a 351w swap oil pan for 79-95 fox body cars for $131.99. Also you will need 351w swap headers, I'm probably going with the BBK swap headers for $439.99, Unless I can find some recommended ceramic coated LT's for the swap with 3" collectors. Other than that I think you just need convertable motor mounts and your ready to go. Also the BBK headers would probably be fine or possibly a little excessive for your build.

Tell us a little more about your plans for this car and we can probably help you figure things out a little better. Budget, expectations, goals, ect.

Pimpdady753
06-24-2005, 11:25 PM
well ok, its a 302 mostly stock just a cold air intake, msd intion, bbk headers and stright pipes with flow masters, 75mm egr and tb, i want to ether rip the engine out and get it bord out and get new interals, but i dont know if i want to deal with taking it all apart the internals and stuff you know, and then i thought i could get a 350 block that is already bored out and got the pistons and shit already in it, so i dont have to deal with any of that stuff, but i want to do is totely get new parts every thing fuel pump, mass air, 30lb injectors, new air intake manfold, one of the GT 40 heads ether the twisted wedge or the turbo swearl, im not sure if i got 3:73 gears but ill get it checked out if i dont ill get them, new drive shaft, new supention, a good cam shaft but that is the other problem i dont know witch ones are good or like the lifts or any thing like that, water pump, if i have to get new headers for the 350, keeping the 75mm egr and tb, a new hood if i do get the 350, and then to top it off put a pro charger 3 core intercooled stage 2 super chager and run like 10 to 20 psi probaly not 20 like 15 but you know that is why i dont know about my old block if it will hold up to this, then i would like to get the T56 viper trans but i found a web site that give you every thing you need to put it in. and i was thinking if im going to put all this money and work in to the car i should go big and get a 350 and pay a little more money you know what i mean, and i have all winter to do this, i wont get the super charger till next year wont have enough money, its not going to be a real race car like strait track you know, its going to be just a summer car a drive and show during the summer, but i want alot of power to back my pony up just in case i have to or want to race it, i think that is about it

Future303
06-25-2005, 03:07 AM
^^ Good God are you rich?

That sounds like most of our fantasy lists for our cars, are you sure it's not just your unachievable fantasy? ;)

351wStang
06-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Why would you put a 350 which is a sbc in a mustang? I hope you meant 351w.

Pimpdady753
06-26-2005, 12:41 PM
yeah a 351, and im not rich just got a good job, so what about that 351 how hard would that be, and is that one from jeggs any good, and what kind of cam shaft should i get, a good one please.

351wStang
06-26-2005, 01:24 PM
How much power do you want? Whats a realistic goal for you? Are you going to be doing this work yourself? How long can you afford to have this car down (as in no motor/not running)? If you just want a stock iron headed, gt40, b cam motor then a 351w is a waste of your time. Is this a dd, weekend warrior, strip only, road course, ...what do you use this car for? What do you want to use it for?

Pimpdady753
06-27-2005, 01:16 PM
i would like to try on get about 700hp, im doing most of it my self expet for boring it out and if i get that jegs block not putting in the pistons and that shit, ive got all winter i dont drive it in the winter, i got 2 cars, its a dd in the summer, i would like to use it for car showes and just to have it,

351wStang
06-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Well with 700hp your stock block is not an option. For that matter a Sportsman block really isnt an option either. For 700hp you will need something like a Dart Iron Eagle block, 4340 crank & H-beam rods (Eagle atleast Crower would be better), some good forged pistons (Mahle, Probe, Diamond, ect). I hope you have alot of cash because 700hp will suck every cent from the bottom of your pocket lol.

Are you going fuel injected, carb'd, forced induction, n20, n/a?

The rest of your build will depend on the above.

Pimpdady753
06-27-2005, 06:08 PM
um at first its going to be fuel injected, with no super charger i wont be able to afford the super charger till the end of next summer. then itl be forced induction. do you know any good sites i can get the block and pistons and crank. thanks. or a package would be great to,

Pimpdady753
06-27-2005, 06:16 PM
is this a good one, http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=Dart+Iron+Eagle+block&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=15&y=5

Pimpdady753
06-27-2005, 06:24 PM
how about this one, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7966168752&category=33613&sspagename=WD1V

351wStang
06-27-2005, 06:58 PM
The blocks at ebay and summit seem to be the same, but you may want to contact Dart so that there is no doubt what so ever of the ebay blocks that are at such a better price. As far as the pistons, rods, and crank, you can buy eagle and mahle at summit. You may want to talk to a few more people before you take every word I say to heart. I know a decent amount, but and nowhere near the best on this board. Skyline, Boosted331, and the mods have been a great help to me thus far. Good luck with your build and let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Pimpdady753
06-27-2005, 09:13 PM
any one else

351wStang
06-28-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm sure there are alot of other people here who could help you out, I have just talked with the guys I listed the most on these kind of topics.

Pimpdady753
06-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Any one

Add your comment to this topic!