Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stutters, stalls - 1993

Demos
06-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Hello.
Having a problem with my 1993 Chevy Lumina, 3.1 liter. 132000 miles.

Started car, had trouble keeping it going - parked it, tried later, worked fine, later in the day I had the same problem. Go figure.

Sounds like all the cylinders are not firing, to me.

Car is shooting un-burnt fuel vapor from exhaust something fierce. Also has low horse power. Takes forever to get moving, and dies anytime the RPM goes low.

Replaced spark plugs and wires, no help.

Any ideas?

jeffcoslacker
06-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Coilpacks and module, next step. Try to see if you've got two cylinders on the same coilpack misfiring.

jhouston77
06-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Could be the timing chain. That's wat the mechanic said mine was.

mattsdominion
06-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Could be the timing chain. That's wat the mechanic said mine was.

Unless your timing chain is slapping, or has skipped a tooth or two...
it isnt the timing chain.

cadgear
06-29-2005, 05:24 PM
If the timing is off, usually you won't have a time where it'll run good. It'd be fairly consistient with its refusal to start.

Demos
06-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Checked coil packs, one was fine, one was weak, one was dead. Replaced all of them. Ran fine, then about 5 miles later, started back up again.

Used a paperclip to get a code on it, got a code 15 - somthing about the Temp sensor for the coolant. Replaced that, again it worked for a bit, then crapped back out.

Any more ideas?

jeffcoslacker
06-30-2005, 06:22 AM
Checked coil packs, one was fine, one was weak, one was dead. Replaced all of them. Ran fine, then about 5 miles later, started back up again.

Used a paperclip to get a code on it, got a code 15 - somthing about the Temp sensor for the coolant. Replaced that, again it worked for a bit, then crapped back out.

Any more ideas?

Ignition module or crank position sensor next most likely, check the wiring between them before replacing either.

richtazz
07-01-2005, 03:12 PM
if you have a fuel pressure tester, check fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure is fine, then I agree with Jeff, crank sensor first, module next. If fuel pressure is low, pinch the return line. If the pressure rises, the regulator is bad. IF pressure is still low, you need a fuel pump.

Demos
07-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Having problems finding the crank position sensor, could anyone tell me where to start looking?

also, been digging deeper into it, looking at the fuel injectors right now. Not sure why, but both leads are hot? why is this?

Demos
07-18-2005, 12:44 PM
OK, Replaced the Crankshaft sensor, coil packs, 02 sensor, ignition mod, catilist converter, coolant temp sensor, Throttle control sensor, Checked the injectors and fuel rail, and also replaced the ECM. No dice yet.

Where should i go next?

fourleaf033
07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
im haveing the same type of problem with my 93 lumina euro 3.1

new: plugs, cat, map, iac, tps, fuel filter, air filter, computer,crank sensor

checked: coils, ignition mod

next to try: plug wires, coolant temp sensor, cct

its becoming a real pain in the butt

problem is as follows.... when just started car runs on high idle for about 10 sec then drops to about 600 where it surges between 500 and 700

when in any gear it will surge from 300 to 700

when driving and coming to a stop with will stall out

when just in idle the engine seems kinda shaky like maybe a cylinder is down, but when i pull every plug one at a time nothing changes

fourleaf033
07-18-2005, 02:40 PM
im haveing the same type of problem with my 93 lumina euro 3.1

new: plugs, cat, map, iac, tps, fuel filter, air filter, computer,crank sensor

checked: coils, ignition mod

next to try: plug wires, coolant temp sensor, cct

its becoming a real pain in the butt

problem is as follows.... when just started car runs on high idle for about 10 sec then drops to about 600 where it surges between 500 and 700

when in any gear it will surge from 300 to 700

when driving and coming to a stop with will stall out

when just in idle the engine seems kinda shaky like maybe a cylinder is down, but when i pull every plug one at a time nothing changes

xtimgx
07-18-2005, 06:03 PM
tcc solenoid? i've been reading a lot of posts on here about these solenoids on the torque converter or something like that. if anyone knows how to take the wire out of the solenoid, please tell me, so i can do this-timg

ashypete
07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
I have a 93, and had the same problem you have. I found that the #4 cly was dead. I changed the coil pack for that cly, but it didn't help. I then changed out the ignition control module, and now my Lumina is back to it's old self. No more problem. I have 132,000 miles on this old girl. Good luck the control module is a bear to change.

Harry

ACEMAN8822
07-19-2005, 08:50 PM
I am suprised no one said check knock sensor? :2cents:

fourleaf033
07-20-2005, 12:17 PM
could it possible a leak in the intake manifold?

fourleaf033
07-20-2005, 12:59 PM
also another thing that is does is if i have it in park and rev it and hold it at about 3-4k the idle with bounce like it would if it was bouncing off the rev limiter

57chevyragtop
07-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Remove air cleaner, you will see a four wire plug (square) on top trans case. has a clip to remove. you will notice no difference in driving, unless it is bad. only shows bad when fully warmed up and coming to a stop from say 50 and above. Engine wants to stall. pull the plug all will be fine. doesn't sound like this is your problem however. Sounds to me like you either have a dirty throttle body, or dirty IAC (idle air control) valve. That is if you are certain your plug wires are good. I've purchased bad new parts so don't assume that can't happen. When cleaning the trottle body don't use screwdriver or carb cleaner, use WD40 or other brand silicone spray and paper towels and try not to let dirt go further in.

tblake
07-21-2005, 04:55 PM
why not use carb cleaner? Just wondering. Also, would unhooking the tcc not be worth the trouble, as you can just drive in D and not (d) and it will do the exact same?

fourleaf033
07-21-2005, 11:30 PM
dont think it has something to do with the tranny sounds more like a fuel problem, cleaned the throttle body and replaced the iac 2 times

fourleaf033
07-21-2005, 11:54 PM
only sensor that i havent changed was the temp sensor, i heard that could do something to the car, but dont know the direct symptoms, could it possible low compresion

tblake
07-22-2005, 12:00 AM
yeah, but if you drove in just drive and not over drive, and you got the same stalling problem, then you would know for sure its not the tranny tcc acting up on you. And yes, My lumina has a revlimiter on about 4k, it wont let me rev any higher when I'm in park. Just to let you know to not worry about that one.

Demos
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Replaced the ECU, that fixed it. Thanks for all the insite however, i am sure none of the sensors are going to go bad for some time now, lol.

meuhus
07-29-2005, 07:25 AM
i have a 91 w/3.1 the other day i was driving about 45 mph
then opened it to about 100 mph after hat i started slowing down
the car started sputtering and i could not excelerat any more.
pulled over.
the car was idling very rough and kind of smelled like raw fuel but no smoke or anything like that.
went to take off again and didn't have any power
the fastest i could go was about 10 mph
did get any codes until i drove for about 10 miles
got a 13 and a 22

the car has 220,000 it was running decent before this incident
just wondering if you got an ecm code
and that is why you replaced it

hope someone sees this soon

Demos
07-29-2005, 07:43 AM
meuhus (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=359971) -

When my car was down, it had the same problems. It was throwing odd codes, and that is why i replaced the ECM.

Think i got a code 15, coolant temp sensor, then a code 53, Knockback sensor.

Not sure if it is relevent, but my alternator also went out the other day. Lucky for me, this happened in an autozone parking lot.

fourleaf033
07-29-2005, 05:42 PM
i found out that cylander 3 and 5 arnt firing, good spark and everything

thinking it might be injectors or the wiring, since i had resantly changed the injectors im thinking its the wiring, im geting about 12 volts on both terminals of the wiring going into the injector, i would think that its supposed to be only power on one side, replaced the ecm so it shouldnt be that y else would i get power to both sides of the injector terminal

93 lumina euro 3.1

fourleaf033
08-01-2005, 01:33 AM
found the prob, broke lifter keeping a valve open, for those of u that have a prob check ur compression first lol

meuhus
08-01-2005, 07:51 AM
found the prob, broke lifter keeping a valve open, for those of u that have a prob check ur compression first lol

was it a lifter or rocker arm?
how much is a set of lifters?
are they the roller type?

meuhus
08-01-2005, 07:53 AM
how much is a set of lifters?
are they the roller type?

was the ngine noisy at all?

meuhus
08-01-2005, 07:55 AM