Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 4WD 22RE real high idle!

edenweiss
06-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks for reading this post.

I have 1989 Toyota pickup 4WD 22RE 5-spd. It has been the best truck I have ever owned. After getting off the highway the engine will not idle down. I stays up around 3,000 rpm I am guessing (no tach.) On the throttle linkage itself, I made sure that nothing was stuck and that it was returning to the fully closed position. The throttle plenum linkage screw is also backed off so that it rests in the mostly closed position. Just enough for normal idle. I have not moved this screw. It seems that there may be something doing this electrically or mechanically through vacuum. These are only guesses and any help would be great!

Thanks,
Eden

toytruck
09-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi - I have a 1987 toyota pickup turbo EFI. It has the same problem; after I come off the freeway the idle gets suck high, maybe about 1800 or 2000 rpm.

Did you find the solution to this problem? Any ideas?

boycrow
12-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I've got an '86 van 22re and it does the exact same thing, except that it stays between 1500-2000, all the time, not just after freeway driving. The idle is adjusted as low as it can go, I just cleaned out the throttle body, I was thinking maybe O2 sensor, but I really don't know. Post if you find out anything, sorry I'm not able to help.
-boy

Willybeamish
12-10-2005, 06:22 PM
I don't know whats causing that but I'm sure it isn't the O2 sensor, it only reads the exhaust to tell if the motor is running rich or lean and then the ECM adjusts the mixture in the air/fuel ratio. Has a check engine light come on or anything? I would try to go over the vacuum lines. try to listen to see if you hear any sucking sounds. *talking like forrest gump* and thats all I have to say about that.

Add your comment to this topic!