Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

my '62

quadzero
06-22-2005, 10:48 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/quadzero/62or.jpg
havent been modelling as much as i want but i finally managed the time to finish this 62 chevy, love these old drag cars, tried to find pictures of it but didnt find much. the exhaust seems wrong but since i couldnt find reference on the proper ones, i used the kit supplied ones. i really enjoyed this kit, sorry for the bad lighting.
Les

quadzero
06-22-2005, 10:57 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/quadzero/409e.jpg
and the famed 409, before i realized it, i mistakenly painted the valve covers chevy red instead of silver. but i decided i could live with it. i didnt like the carbs so i scratch built them. again, i really enjoyed this model. looks good next to my '39 gasser.
Les

aeroace
06-22-2005, 11:06 PM
great job!master chief^0^

freakmech
06-22-2005, 11:15 PM
I love these old "hand painted" liveries and your engine looks great. nice job and i hope to see future post of your kits! not much of an American car fan but it looks great regardless of the bad lighting. keep it up!

quadzero
06-22-2005, 11:30 PM
wow, thanks guys. no one 'cept the wife has ever even seen my models before, really nice to be able to share finally. anywho, im sorry the images are so big as im new to this. i will try to get them from going off the page next time but with dial up my patience just ran out and i couldnt experiment very much.
ps, master chief was taken (dohh!) so i took the name of a B-17 bomber :wink:

sportracer02
06-23-2005, 12:11 AM
The engine is s masterpiece !!

PRIVATEER
06-23-2005, 11:24 AM
HOLY COW !!!!!!:22yikes: That engine is magnificent!! Welcome to AF.

klutz_100
06-23-2005, 01:11 PM
..i didnt like the carbs so i scratch built them. again, i really enjoyed this model. looks good next to my '39 gasser.
Les

Amazing job - congratulations.
I bet you enjoyed it! I'm enjoying just looking at it!

The whole engine is just awsome! Any shots of how you made those amazing looking carbs? Care to share? I'd love to learn :)

:wave: welcome

quadzero
06-23-2005, 09:47 PM
thanks again for all the kind words. alas i dont have any in progess shots. but i scratch build as much as i can with whatever i can use. while the original carbs were quite good out of the box, they didnt really lend themselves to modifications. i had excellent pictures of the carter carbs on this model and i started with 2 blocks of plastic and first i drilled out the bores and added the details inside them. a pinvise is a must for this. i used the original carbs as reference for size but they were a tad small and using my pictures i kept adding small bits of stretched spruce and bits of plastic with super glue. when it was done, certain parts were smoothed and rounded off with 600 grit sandpaper. i had one pic of the real engine, and like i said i painted the valve covers the wrong colour and i made another mistake, (dont ask) if the carbs and manifold colours were switched, it would be more accurate. and i thought i was doing so good, too. i dry brushed with some silver and the throttle lever arms are coke cans, (easily cut by scissors and x-acto knife) and the linkage is thin guitar string. it really helps to have reference pics and the linkage is pretty accurate for this engine, but a little simplified. i made the throttle springs from wire i coiled around my pin vise. all the parts i prefer to airbrush and i rarely brush paint anything. the coil is a piece of spruce i chucked in my dremel and with a file i turned it out until it matched my references. all in all, pretty basic stuff and nothing fancy, just takes time. with the pics i posted you can really see all the glitches i made (much to my surprise) but in real life the engine looks a lot better all tiny and like. thanks again everyone
cheers!
Les

wheels206
06-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Amazing job on the engine dude...really looks like it can be started with a twist of an ignition key! :)

alakai
06-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Beautiful work! You did a great job on the engine, and I agree with Freakmech about the old school livery. I'd love to see some daylight pics of this bad boy!

quadzero
06-24-2005, 02:52 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/quadzero/62as.jpg http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/quadzero/62s.jpg
thanks again everyone, im still playing with the new camera and i tried to take pics outside and sure enuff it started to rain. btw, this is the first model where i used bare metal foil, and the first time i used future on a model. in the past i have used automotive clear coats with excellent results but future smells a lot better. thanks again, gang.
Les

tigeraid
06-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Welcome to the fold. AWESOME work, I love the engine bay detail.

robrex
06-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Very nice! The engine looks great!

Add your comment to this topic!