Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild

Rivers4
06-22-2005, 05:17 PM
When I purchased my '68 MkIII, it had about a half inch of water in the bottom of the brake master cylinder reservoir. I bled the brakes and after that, the brake pedal would occasionally go right to the floor. I'd hit the pedal again and it was right at the top. Time to rebuild the master cylinder (it was leaking a little fluid anyway). After rebuilding it and both front calipers, I went to bleed the brakes. All the fluid started leaking out past the piston seal. I've looked at the schematic over and over, and took the thing apart again. I put it back together correctly. There is too much slop between the seal and the cylinder wall.

Is it time to bite the bullet and replace the master cylinder $225.00)? Any other options?

Dave

DurangoDave
06-23-2005, 09:08 AM
An option to buying a new master cylinder is to re-sleeve and re-build. An outfit called Apple Hydraulics does this for ~$175. I haven't used them, but many other spitfire and gt6 owners report they are very satisfied with this approach. Look up Apple Hydraulics on the web at www.applehydraulics.com.

Whatever you do, make sure you use only DOT 5 brake fluid when you put things back together.

(And if you are really interested in getting feedback from spitfire owners on every possible subject, go to a real forum like Totally Triumph Network and get off this forum. It's useless).

Dave

Add your comment to this topic!