Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

low woil pressure light

CROWNVIC91
06-22-2005, 07:30 AM
i got an oil change the other day . now the low oil light comes on and tells me to stop the engine but as i drive the light does not come on. only when i come to a stop or let off the gas. this just started happeng i guessing a bad sensor. oil not leaking and i drove for about 300 miiles now checked the oil its clean and full. car rides smooth no smoke or sluggish. what could it be. :banghead:

M.A.C
06-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Maybe the oil level sensor is defective? Or a wire was disconnected when the oil was changed?

jase386
07-01-2005, 03:42 PM
i dont know what the problem could be, just wanted to say i hate like hell that youve taken the leap from a ford to a Cadillac and having these problems. they arent normal caddy problems though, sounds like some kind of maintenance issue, or just something that was done during the previous owners care.

i had a buick skylark and the oil pressure sensor was in the way when the oil was changed, and they bumped it and then the light stayed on. might check that. or start tracing wires, hope its not wiring.

CROWNVIC91
07-02-2005, 02:10 PM
i have minor problems wit it like the oil light and catylic converter. the oil light comes on when the car gets warm and the cars stops at llike 600rpms it goes off at like 700 rpms its fuckin weird its like i always get the most fucked up problems with cars its never nothing big its always small or alot of small things i got the motor mount fixed catylic converter replaced im thinking of puttin it on a diagnostic but i have no idea how much it cost b/c money is getting tight. my motorcycle needs a new paint job i sold the for crownvic but im going to purchas another one with the same engine but if anyone can help me with this caddy issue pls do. but give me a price of a diagnostic test that thedealer might charge.

MagicRat
07-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Please post the year and engine model of the car. This makes a big difference. Most of the older 4.1 and 4.5 aluminum block V8's were notorious for oil pumps that wore out at 60k to 80k miles and cause exactly the symptoms you indicate.
Try using a heavier oil, especially in summer. The oil change people may have put in 5W30 This is way too thin for a loose pump. Use 10w40 in summer and 10w30 in winter.
If the problem continues try adding a quart of 20w50 in your next oil change.

CROWNVIC91
07-07-2005, 09:49 AM
i have a 97 with the 32v northstar 4.6L
my engine seems to have alot of heat under the hood but the engine coolant level reads 212' degrees and thats average but it draws off a lot of heat the fans are working. but my oil pressure light comes on like after 10min of driving. i ran a diagnostic it ran no codes it passed but that light keeps comin on. and yesterday my fuckin car cut off but it started right back up. can the oil sensor cut my car off

Double_D650
07-08-2005, 02:06 PM
this is a problem that i would definately have fixed. i had the same experience with my car. the longer you leave it go the more the light will come on. granted i had the 4.1 which isnt the greatest engine in the world, but what you are describing is exactly what happened to me. now my engine doesn't run and i think its because i let that problem go unfixed for too long. definately get that looked at.

CROWNVIC91
07-10-2005, 09:57 AM
my oil light isn't normal it has its own mind it comes on when i stop it goes off when i put the car in park. my car runs good it cut off b/c i think my injectors are clogged or my fuel filter is clogged. b/c my car hesitates at times when i start it. but this oil light is ticking me the fuck off even thou i kno it aint serious it pisses me the fuck off. but imma jus take it to cadillac so they can fix it.

Freakzilla69
09-08-2008, 08:47 AM
i got an oil change the other day . now the low oil light comes on and tells me to stop the engine but as i drive the light does not come on. only when i come to a stop or let off the gas. this just started happeng i guessing a bad sensor. oil not leaking and i drove for about 300 miiles now checked the oil its clean and full. car rides smooth no smoke or sluggish. what could it be. :banghead:

The exact same thing happened to me this morning, it really freaked me out because I change the oil and filter religiously. I pulled into a service station and stopped the engine and checked the oil. It was a little low, but there is no knocking or smoke, runs fine. The "Low Oil Pressure Light" only comes on when I have been stopped at a light for a few seconds.

I read in another topic that someone changed the oil sending unit and the message went away. I'll try that and report back.

It's a '95 Deville 4.9L

Freakzilla69
09-08-2008, 04:49 PM
They have different sizes at the parts store, does anyone know if I need the 3/8" or 1/4" unit for my '95 Deville 4.9L?

Add your comment to this topic!