Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Passat. Starter?

brackhor
06-21-2005, 09:14 PM
94 Passat. Turn ignition on, engine turns over then stops without starting. Repeat several times. Then engine starts. What could be the problem?

Denny G
11-22-2005, 09:40 PM
94 Passat. Turn ignition on, engine turns over then stops without starting. Repeat several times. Then engine starts. What could be the problem?

Have you had the starter looked at? I would guess it is at fault. Personally, if I can actually get a starter out of a prticular vihicle, I take it to the local automotive electric place to have it evaluated/repaired, rather than getting a new one or an unknown rebuilt.

Denny G.

razputin
11-28-2005, 04:32 PM

If you do take the stater out. Be shure to watch for a shim in the motor's casing.
Well on the 93 passat there is one.I didn't know there was one, put the starter back in without knowing it had fallen out.Broke part of the casing
when starting it up.Then it started slipping and grinding on the ringear. Eventualy got worse and had to change the gear.That is when I found out about the shim. A mix of copper brass VERY brittle .You cannot sqeeze it.
It will brake.I found that out to.So buy 2 just in case, only a few bucks.
Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!