Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Diagnosis complete = sticky/stuck lifter

Ramblin Fever
06-21-2005, 02:13 PM
What do I do now?

Not really all that comfortable with using sea foam, or other engine flushes.

What's this about using the 0W-30 Synthetic Mobil 1 for one oil change?

Would that lead to possible leaks, considering I've always used dino Havoline?

Getting the notion that I have this issue because I've always used 10w-30, rather then 5w-30?? I've never gone more then 3500 between intervals, so I'm at a loss as to why this has happened.

amigo-2k
06-21-2005, 03:07 PM
switching to a different oil is no different then tossing in Sea Foam in my opinion. Sea Foam will be in the oil of a couple of miles, where as the new different oil with different cleaners in it will be in for 3k just waiting to loosen some stuff up.

iskiuskiweski
06-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Oil sludge, and carbon. If you don't want to use the additives the only thing I can think of is to either replace the lifter of pull it out and clean it by hand.

Ramblin Fever
06-21-2005, 03:59 PM
ok, ok, I get the point.

I'm willing to do the sea foam. Should I just do the 10-15 minutes of just letting it idle or should I actually run it on the road?

Also, my truck is at the full oil mark, so do I need to drop some oil, then add the sea foam?

My question now is, is there any harm in switching to Havoline High mileage formula? (aside from the notation mention by Amigo-2K)

Agreed, not really wanting to take it out and clean it, don't want to cause other issues.

I do thank you for your patience!

marcre
06-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Sorry I can't help you with all of your questions, but about the high mileage oil I have an opinion. I would and have. It costs the same as other oil and many people reccomend it. I am not sure if it actually does anything, but it can't hurt.

I do believe you need to let a little oil out. I am waiting for a little more to be burned of so I can put in some sea foam. As far as the way to do it, there are many different ideas. Me personally, I like to idle for several minuates followed by a quick run around a few blocks, punching the gas a few times. When I return home, I let it idle a few more minutes.

I used sea foam for the first time last oil change(1500 miles ago), and I am going to keep using it to try and decrease the consumption. I am changing my oil so early because I really want to get more sea foam in it.

I also do not see any problems switching to the high mileage. It is formulated for your engine.

marc

amigo-2k
06-21-2005, 04:24 PM
http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html

I like this article on Sea Foam use.

My suggestions is to put in 0.5 of a bottle (which is 6oz) no worries on already having a full system. Then take it out for a 15 min drive and beat the snot out of it. Punch it a couple of times to get the sea foam mixed and disloveing the crud.

Then bring it back and drain within 5 minutes of shutting it off.

Since this is your first time you may want to do your next oil change at 1500-2000 (add sea foam again when you do this too).

todds21
06-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Have you considered using Auto-RX? I am gonna give that a whirl. Supposed to do wonders for sludge.

Ramblin Fever
06-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Ok, 1st phase complete.

Put 1/2 can in, and took her for a good 10-15 minute drive, hitting 3-4K RPM's several times.

Dumped oil/filter asap. One thing though, I was expecting the oil to be much darker then it was. It came out very runny for sure, but a lot lighter in color then I was expecting. I figured it be like deep mud or something. Course I did just put fresh oil in barely 2 weeks ago.

I did see several string-like looking peices of black crud in oil this time :uhoh: any ideas??

Filled truck up with straight 5w-30 Havoline. Could not find the high mileage oil tonight.

Seems to be smoother running, tapping is still there, but nothing like it was.

Imagine it'll take a few times.

I will follow-up in 1500 miles with some more sea-foam for sure. But does anyone know the frequency interval for doing sea-foam on a regular basis, like a preventative.

Also, does anyone know if this stuff is harmful to bearings or not? :eek7:

Thanks for talking me into it; don't think I'd have had the guts otherwise.

rodeo02
06-21-2005, 11:51 PM
What do I do now?

Not really all that comfortable with using sea foam, or other engine flushes......

Ramblin- At 140,000 miles+, leave it alone unless you are having other issues that need to be addressed. I know the tick is tough on the ears, but if you are not having performance/economy issues, just keep up on your regular maintenance regimine like you have been. Keep in mind that 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 are all 30wt oils at operating temp so don't sweat running any one of them in your truck if you wish.
G/luck
Joel

Ramblin Fever
06-22-2005, 06:46 AM
The leaving it alone is not actually a good thing though is it? I mean for the long haul?

My plan is to keep this thing going as long as possible.

Thank you guys for your help, I really do appreciate it.

iskiuskiweski
06-22-2005, 07:43 AM
I have been doing the sea foam thing every third oil change, a little less than 10k. I also run a can of Techron through in the last tank of gas before every oil change. Seems to be doing quite well for me, little noise and only a slight tick at cold startups.

Ramblin Fever
06-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Was the engine supposed to be cold before adding Sea-foam?

I came straight home from work, put some in and took it for a drive.

ogfooman
06-22-2005, 09:17 AM
If the tick bothers you, just use 0W-30 Mobil1 Full Synthetic. Get it at wal-mart for 20 bucks/5quarts. Extend your oil change interval to compensate for the lost bucks.

Whenever mine starts to give a little valve train noise, I know it's time to change the oil. :-)

iskiuskiweski
06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Was the engine supposed to be cold before adding Sea-foam?

I came straight home from work, put some in and took it for a drive.

I don't think it matters, but I usually add it right before the commute (15 miles) home from work and then change it as soon as I get there.

Ramblin Fever
06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
One more ??, sorry. Is it normal for the sound to get louder when after first use of the Sea-foam?

Or I wonder if it's because of using 5w-30, I've always used 10w-30 before.

iskiuskiweski
06-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Are saying the "tick" got louder or the engine itself? I found that when I switched oils the engine did get a little louder at first, but then quieted down after putting some miles on the new oil. It was almost like the oil had to be broke in or worked into the engine and force the old diluted stuff out or something.

Ramblin Fever
06-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Gosh, this is hard to describe. It's actually (the tap)a little softer sounding, but clearer to hear, if that makes any sense.

Sounds just like a diesel at the drive through. But I wouldn't refer to my sound as a "tick", it's more like a wrapping "tap" sound.

Thank you for all your help.

Add your comment to this topic!