Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Intrigue braking problems

grammat
06-21-2005, 12:48 PM
At highway speeds when slowing down my Intrigue steering wheel shakes violently. It seems to originate from the right front tire. Any ideas what it could be. As I slow down it eases up to where you can bearly feel it.

motitutty
06-22-2005, 07:32 AM
Have you gotten your rotor "turned" (refinished). Over time the rotor will get bumps, causing the car to shake when you apply the brakes.

-M

grammat
06-22-2005, 07:49 AM
No I haven't, but I thought that might be it. I changed the brakes a while back but never did the rotors.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again

Renegade2k
06-22-2005, 11:32 PM
intrigue rotors and the ceramic stock brake pads wear the rotors pretty fast and your rotors might not have enough thickness left to turn. The fact that you didn't replace them shows that they are probably below this spec anyway. The spec is there so the rotor doesn't get to thin and warp. You will probably need new rotors. NAPA seems to be the best price.

busboy4
06-23-2005, 06:16 PM
I agree with renegade. I replaced all four on my '99 when I did the brakes. I bought at NAPA for $30 each as I recall. They have more expensive ones too - I think it is import vs. domestic production.

motitutty
06-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I agree with renegade. I replaced all four on my '99 when I did the brakes. I bought at NAPA for $30 each as I recall. They have more expensive ones too - I think it is import vs. domestic production.

I just got done replacing on all four two hours ago!!! I also bought premiums from NAPA all together were like $150. And they wore out in less than a year. Today I bought $65 worth from Advanced Auto Parts. Let see how it turns out. OH I also bled and replaced the brake fluid. Heard they recommend it for high mileage vechicles. I got like 85K on mine.

-M

xcalibersharp
07-27-2005, 10:38 PM
I have the same feeling from my 99 and I found that it occurs due to lack of power steering fluid. You might want to check it out. It is a quick fix anyway.

Add your comment to this topic!