Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 engine acceleration issue

Sistasource
06-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I have an automatic 2003 S-10 and I love it. I recently been having problems with the engine reving high as I accelerate but not really moving as quickly. The pick up comes and goes. Its as if something is clogged, like gas isn't getting through. The truck then doesn't accelerate and the engine makes a loud reving noise.

I took it to my dealer and he told me it has to do with the fan clutch/ clutch fan. As the tempeture gets hot the fan comes on to cool the engine and it draws a lot of power from the a/c and engine. He said that they get a lot of people coming to them this time of year in AZ. He tells me there is nothing I can do to get it running like normal during the non hot seasons. Is this true or a load of crap? Would the problem fall under my warranty? If it is true, I find it hard to believe there is nothing on the market to help with this type of problem. HELP!

Though I read through other threads, they had to do with manual transmissions or there was one that was exactly it (1991 Chevy s10 2WD-cowsrule), I wasn't clear which problem OverBoardProject was advising on. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

busa4
06-21-2005, 02:16 PM
are u describing a trans slipping condition? it sounds that way. if your accelerating and find your engine increasing rpm easy with out consistent acceleration then your trans is slipping. check the fluid level. or are u talking about a sluggish feeling as if your engine is trying to tow a ton. your cooling fan takes alot of power and it kills your fuel mileage. i went to discount auto and converted my mechanical fan to electric fan. frees up a lot more power and saves a lot more gas.

Sistasource
06-24-2005, 01:38 AM
I'm not towing anything. This is just regular driving in the city. My dealer is trying to convince me that due to the heat in AZ that its causing my fan clutch to kick in causing a loud roar from the engine from time to time when I attempt to accelerate. So my question now is, is this normal, is my fan clutch for an automatic transmission going bad, or is by transmission about to be shot? HELP!

busa4
06-24-2005, 06:51 AM
if your rpm is increasing and your speed is not, that is a trans slipping condition. if your a/c and fan are on and you feel a lack of power but u still have a steady acceleration with rpm increase then your engine has a heavy load. i converted my mechanical fan to electric fan for this reason.

red180s
06-27-2005, 08:59 PM
My truck does the exact same thing. Sounds like the engine is roaring and feels like it is trying to pull a ton of weight. It happens when it is really hot out and i have noticed that once you get moving it stops. I have inquired to this and have been told by multiple mechanics and dealers that it is "normal".

It does make fuel mileage suck. Where can I get an electric fan instead of the mechanical? I would like to get better mileage. thanks

busa4
06-28-2005, 06:55 AM
i went to discount auto/advanced auto parts and bought a fan and adjustable temp sensor for under 100.00. it took about 3 hours to install.

Add your comment to this topic!