Serious vibration at 10-15 mph

ColoradoSilverado
06-20-2005, 09:02 PM
I have some serious vibration at 10-15 mph, It was always there but relly lightly now it's getting really bad. At first I thought it was the front rotors but it's both when accelerating and braking. Anyone has an idea what it could be ?

Bert

jethro_3
06-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Check your u-joints, make sure the lugs are tight and have your tires balnced. Good place to start.

red00lght
06-20-2005, 09:27 PM
I just had this problem. I replaced the center bearing in the driveshaft (my 99 4.8 2wd has a two-piece) and that cured almost all my vibration. I have also put in lowering-shackles so I think I need some pinion shims as I still have a little bit of vibs going through 10-20mph. U-joints may be the problem as well with yours....mine were ok...

ColoradoSilverado
06-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Pardon my dumb question, u joints, those are the ones that connect the drive shafts right ?

jethro_3
06-20-2005, 10:22 PM
As long as you are trying to learn, not a dumb question. A u-joint looks like an X with the caps on the end that have needle bearings inside connecting two parts of the driveline. They allow the parts to angle off of straight letting the axle travel. With blocks around the wheels, BOTH SIDES, and the truck in neutral, get underneath and try to spin the driveline. If it has play at the u-joint, get it replaced. Play would be defined as a short distance that causes the driveline to jerk when going one direction to the other not a solid movement. If you have a carrier bearing, circle around the whole shaft, check it for play also. Thanks for reminding me red00lght. :thumbsup:

ColoradoSilverado
07-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Well, I finaly had some time today to get under the truck and check some things. I checked all the U-joints wich are all fine, no play at all. I took off all wheels and checked for play , also checked all the brakes, also all fine. I found out that one of my rear shocks was bend badly so I replaced both (did was not the problem). I looked at all the ball joints wich are also fine. Now I also have a constant humming at 50-55 mph, if I go faster it disappears, but that vibration at 10 mph is very annoying. Anyone has any suggestions ?
http://tinypic.com/4tk4u0
Bert

JCL82
07-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm reading my silverado book and it says this

If the vibrations occurs at the same engine speed(rpm) regardless of which gear the transmission is in , the driveshaft is NOT at fault since the driveshaft speed varies.

Is the truck 4WD ?

55 Shudder or vibration during acceleration
1.excessive toe-in have alignment checked
2.Incorrect spring heights
3.worn or damaged inboard or outboard cv joints
4.sticking or inboard cv joint assembly

ColoradoSilverado
07-02-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm reading my silverado book and it says this

If the vibrations occurs at the same engine speed(rpm) regardless of which gear the transmission is in , the driveshaft is NOT at fault since the driveshaft speed varies.

Is the truck 4WD ?

55 Shudder or vibration during acceleration
1.excessive toe-in have alignment checked
2.Incorrect spring heights
3.worn or damaged inboard or outboard cv joints
4.sticking or inboard cv joint assembly

Yes, the truck is 4WD. That vibration is only at 10 mph so it's only in first gear, don't think there's a way to check it at the same speed in second gear. And it's both in accelrating and braking.
Bert

JCL82
07-02-2005, 03:52 PM
You ever thought about trying one of the other gears ? 1,2,3 gea

ColoradoSilverado
07-02-2005, 06:45 PM
You ever thought about trying one of the other gears ? 1,2,3 gea

How do I go 10mph in second or third gear ? Maybe I forgot to mention that it's a automatic.
Bert

draboo
07-03-2005, 10:14 AM
How do I go 10mph in second or third gear ? Maybe I forgot to mention that it's a automatic

I think I understand what you are talking about. You cant do 10 mph in second. The trans wont shift out of first because you are doing only 10 mph.

Can you tell which end or corner of the truck the humming/vibration is coming from?

Try a few sharp turns at the 10-15 mph speed and see if it gets worse.
I m not a mechanic by any means,but I suspect a wheel bearing may be the culprit.

ColoradoSilverado
07-03-2005, 04:46 PM
I think I understand what you are talking about. You cant do 10 mph in second. The trans wont shift out of first because you are doing only 10 mph.

Can you tell which end or corner of the truck the humming/vibration is coming from?

Try a few sharp turns at the 10-15 mph speed and see if it gets worse.
I m not a mechanic by any means,but I suspect a wheel bearing may be the culprit.

It's the right front corner, I will spend some more time on the truck tomorrow and see if I can find something. I'll keep you guys posted on my findings. if it's a wheel bearing I should here it when I jack up that corner and spin the wheel by hand ?

Bert

ColoradoSilverado
07-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Well, got the wheels balanced today, that did the trick on the vibration/humming at 50mph but the 10mph vibration is still there. And they put it on the lift and checked the driveshafts and concluded they are fine. Anyone has any suggestions ?

Bert

orpha
07-14-2005, 10:15 AM
try part #89060582 intermediate steering shaft. my 2002 with 85k gets replaced every 30k...put your truck on incline, shift from drive to reverse several times while softly touching brake. you will feel steering grab.

another screw up from gm

ColoradoSilverado
07-15-2005, 06:30 PM
try part #89060582 intermediate steering shaft. my 2002 with 85k gets replaced every 30k...put your truck on incline, shift from drive to reverse several times while softly touching brake. you will feel steering grab.

another screw up from gm

Is this a part # from GMpartsdirect ? I tried the shifting thing but don't feel the steering "grab" as you mentioned. Also, after having the front wheels balanced I said the vibration at 50 mph was gone, yes for 6 days it was now it's back and even worse from 50 to 70 mph. Is there another way to check the intermediate driveshaft ?

Bert

localyokel
07-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Hi, it sounds like an out of round tire.check for a large lump in the tread area or even a small portion of tread w/ less tread than the rest of the tire.Or rotate tires to see if the problem moves.Or add some extra air pressure to your tires.more pressure makes a bad tire less noticable!If its not the tires at least they will be ruled out! Good luck!!

ColoradoSilverado
07-16-2005, 08:29 AM
I tried the tire rotation, it made no difference.
Bert

ColoradoSilverado
07-16-2005, 02:59 PM
I looked again today and can't find anything obvious except for a leaking ball joint boot on the small arm that goes from the power steering pump to the steering axle ? Don't know what it is called.

Bert

kennycu
09-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Did you ever find out what this problems is? I drove a '99 k1500 yesterday and it had a vibration/humm/grind at 10mph. Sounded like nobby tires at high speed. Reminded me of when my CV joints went on my sedan. Anyway, I don't think it was tire noise at 10mph. Would this lead to Ujoints? Are there CV joints at the wheels like my sedan? It was only at driver's front.

rrousou
09-22-2005, 07:25 PM
I'd say you got a set of bum tires that go out of balance due to shifted belts. Had that happen to my truck a while back and tires only had 8000 to 10000 miles on them. Went and bought some Michelin LTX MS. Fixed the problem.

kennycu
09-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm taking the truck to the dealer and for $40 he'll do a safety inspection and check out what I'm hearing/feeling. Nice truck....'99 LT 90k for $10.5k. Better if there's something more than tires wrong. I drove an '02 yesterday that was smooth as can be...other than the throaty dual exhaust! Nice ride and a lot different from the '99 I'm looking at. If a new set if tires will get to the feel of that '02, then I'm buyin'.

ColoradoSilverado
09-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Vibration ? what vibration ?
http://tinypic.com/ay7o5c
http://tinypic.com/dpbtjq

kennycu
09-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey Colorado, where was that ujoint from? Looks like you found the problem! Didn't you have somebody look at your truck and found the ujoints ok? The noise I'm hearing is at driver's front and sounds like a CV joint going. I'll get an opinion tomorrow at the dealer.

Thanks for the visual.

WVSilverado
09-25-2005, 11:47 PM
After having the bearings go bad on a few sets of u-joints, I've figured out the best way to check them is to drop the drive shaft and then check. Sometimes even when they would be bad, I would get no play in the drive shaft when I'd crawl under the truck and try to check it while it was hooked up. Then I'd assume it was something else and waste time trying to figure it out. If you got vibration taking off, checking the u-joints is usually a good place to start.

Add your comment to this topic!