Should I Buy a Used 2003 Rodeo???

lspice27
06-20-2005, 04:49 PM
I found a beautiful used automatic 2003 Rodeo with 14K mi. and I am thinking of purchasing it, however I wanted the advice of current owners first. Please let me know your thoughts about ownership and any common major problems you are aware of.

Thank you!

amigo-2k
06-20-2005, 05:28 PM
go for it.

with that low of mileage you should get +10 worry free years out of it.

The common problems are usely just basic maintance.
they are:

Plug up EGR, EGR port and PCV (all three of these can be cleaned with carb cleaner, EGR once a year and the PCV every oil change). If these get plugged up it can lead to oil consumption.

Oil consumption due to the above and carbon build up in the piston rings (use a product like sea foam before every oil change).

Cracked intake manifold gasket (you will have a 5 year 60k warranty on it since you are the second owner); this is a common problem.

Other then that, change the oil every 3k and keep up on your tranny fluid changes (drain or flush) every 30k.

They are great trucks that last a long time, if properly maintainaned, and can be bought for some real good deals.

rodeo02
06-20-2005, 08:36 PM
If the price is right, and this is the type of vehicle you are looking for, they are a good vehicle. You get a lot of truck for the money with a rodeo. Keep in mind they are truck based so they dont ride and handle like a car. If it is 4x4, there are lots of extra parts that will need attention as the truck ages. Also keep in mind the fuel mileage is typical for a truck. 15-20mpg. I get around 17mpg with my 2002.
G/luck
Joel

Dcdaniels2001
06-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I got a 2000 in dec 2004 NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS.....

Ramblin Fever
06-20-2005, 11:15 PM
I got a 2000 in dec 2004 NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS.....

Every manufactorer puts out their share of glitched vehicles - there's not any one particular make/model line up that doesn't have it's "problem" vehicle or vehicles for that matter.

Isuzu's are not anymore prone to "problem" vehicles then others; i.e Ford's crappy transmissions; chevy's known wheel bearing issues; dodge's durango's that are known for sludging, not too mention their problems with ball joint and transmission failures. Newer Toyota's are having their share of issues as well.

I'm tired of always hearing how "horrible" Isuzu's supposedly are. Yet, I have the longest running vehicle in my family and it's never once been towed in 140K miles!

Off my soapbox now - I have had the luxury of owning 2 Isuzu Rodeo's, a 91 & 97 V6's.

Keep up on the fluids, filters, spark plugs, and belts and they will be your friend - two of the greatest trucks ever owned!

Add your comment to this topic!