Water to clean carbon

steveb_92rodeo
06-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Although I have just finished rebuilding the entire top end of my '92 Rodeo, I heard that pouring a little water down the throttle body while the engine is running is the most effective way to clean carbon from the valves, etc.

Is this completely accurate, and has anyone tested it? I know that putting a hose in there would not be the Right Thing, but would a little actually work?

Steve

amigo-2k
06-20-2005, 02:07 PM
I would use carb-cleaner or sea foam before water.

suvguy
06-20-2005, 08:34 PM
While it is an effective way to clean carbon, I wouldn't say it is the most effective way to do it. Various other methods exsist such as Sea Foam or Amsoil's Power Foam aside from physically removing it.

Sea Foam is available at most auto parts stores and a source that I know of for the Power Foam is http://www.oilwerks.biz. Amsoil's Performance Improver additive also works very well for cleaning the fuel path including the injectors. Made my '00 Rodeo much more peppy after I bought it used.

suvguy

Although I have just finished rebuilding the entire top end of my '92 Rodeo, I heard that pouring a little water down the throttle body while the engine is running is the most effective way to clean carbon from the valves, etc.

Is this completely accurate, and has anyone tested it? I know that putting a hose in there would not be the Right Thing, but would a little actually work?

Steve

rodeo02
06-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Water will work excellent for decarbing the combustion chamber and exhaust valves and porting. The super-heated steam desolves the carbon. It wont do anything for you between the throttle plate and intake valves. Just the HOT areas. Dont get too aggressive adding water as you can hydro-lock a cylinder.
G/luck
Joel

Cat Fuzz
06-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Rodeo02 is right. Water is a most excellent way of decarbing combustion chambers. My neighbor had a very small crack in the head right at number 3 cylinder. That cylinder and valves were clean as a whistle.

I'd try using a spray bottle while the engine is at operating temp.

Water is free too. :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!