Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

a question for an 97 deville

CROWNVIC91
06-20-2005, 12:32 PM
i just brought this car it drives and rides like an dream but it has its moments when it hesitates to start. it uselly takesa like 1 0r 2 secs longer than normally. what could that be.

DCHomeBrew
06-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Alot of different things, but we need more information like from morning starting, when the engine is warm, when it's cold... My "seems" like it takes longer to start if I don't let the fuel pump get up to preasure. More info please, like when it happens.

CROWNVIC91
06-20-2005, 03:14 PM
it happens randomly mostly after the car sits for an hr or 2 but in the morning it starts right up a buddy said that it could be the fuel filter i just need suggestions so im prepared. i want this car at its best its definently a beauty

DCHomeBrew
06-20-2005, 03:45 PM
it happens randomly mostly after the car sits for an hr or 2 but in the morning it starts right up a buddy said that it could be the fuel filter i just need suggestions so im prepared. i want this car at its best its definently a beauty

I would most definately try the fuel filter, just because (unless you have ALL documentation) you don't know when it was done last, but because it starts right up in the morning, I really don't think it's the filter (filters don't care what time of day it is, or when the car was last run).

I would try turning on the key and waiting 2-3 seconds and crank it over, see if that stops the "lag" in starting. It kinda sounds like a form of vapor lock... I put my key in and turn it "on" (but not started) close my door, then start the car... this turned into a habit because I had a car that the fuel pump would delay for a second or two before kicking in (??? I replaced the pump too) then it would be fine after that... GM also for a time had a problem with the crank position sensor not reading right after it got hot, tricky to diagnose, usually fix it by just replacing it, but I don't like the replace it and see method of repair.

Another thing you can do is get a membership to Alldata for your car, you then have access to all the TSB and recalls for your car, plus the methods for testing sensors and relays are at your disposal, just a thought.

CROWNVIC91
06-20-2005, 09:49 PM
i stARTED IT about an hour ago it had an 3sec lag and white smoke came out after it started i smelled exhaust maybe a leak but it also acts sluggish after i start it but when i drive its smooth for the ride. im guessing the exhaust manifold or fuel filter should work or what do u have in mind

CROWNVIC91
06-20-2005, 11:30 PM
car is seriously hesitating to start now and i smell alot of exhaust. as i turn the key engine light is on and turns off as the car is started and oil light flashes when i stop but oil was changed 2 days ago and is not leaking at all

Add your comment to this topic!