Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Please clean key and try again in 3 minutes

luvlife13
06-20-2005, 11:37 AM
I have a 1993 Olds Regency Elite. When the key is in the ignition, a message appears "Please Clean Key And Try in 3 Minutes". I have done that without success. Does anyone know how to bypass the security ignition on this car?

KevinMcGrath
11-12-2005, 04:22 PM
I have a 1993 Olds Regency Elite. When the key is in the ignition, a message appears "Please Clean Key And Try in 3 Minutes". I have done that without success. Does anyone know how to bypass the security ignition on this car?

I am having the same problem and I was told it is a sensor on the key itself. I don't think this is the case because it happened to both sets of keys at the same time. How can I turn it OFF. I really dont want to buy another ignition switch.

dmanlyr
11-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Ok - Try a new key first, if that does not work ~ you can also look down the ign key slot and see if the contacts are shiney or black, obviously if they are black they are dirty and worn, no choice then but to replace or bypass ~

There are a couple of ways to bypass the security system, although it would be eaisier in my mind just to get the ign lock cylinder / contacts replaced, Just did that on my 92, and it was a total of just over $150, plus the price of new keys at $38 each ( I got several for spares)

You cannot just disconnect the Pass Key modual as it not only will not let the engine crank (eaisily bypassed) but it also provides a modulated signal to the ECM to turn on the fuel pump.

David

KevinMcGrath
11-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Ok - Try a new key first, if that does not work ~ you can also look down the ign key slot and see if the contacts are shiney or black, obviously if they are black they are dirty and worn, no choice then but to replace or bypass ~

There are a couple of ways to bypass the security system, although it would be eaisier in my mind just to get the ign lock cylinder / contacts replaced, Just did that on my 92, and it was a total of just over $150, plus the price of new keys at $38 each ( I got several for spares)

You cannot just disconnect the Pass Key modual as it not only will not let the engine crank (eaisily bypassed) but it also provides a modulated signal to the ECM to turn on the fuel pump.

David

Thanks for the reply David,
Do you know the ways to bypass the system? We don't want to have to go through this again.
Thanks
Kevin

corning_d3
11-17-2005, 11:48 PM
measure the resistance of the pellet in the key. Buy a resistor with the same resistance value. Locate the wires in the steering column used for measuring key pellet resistance, cut both and connect resistor across both. I've never tried this but, theoretically, it should work right? Anyone else have any input on this?

dmanlyr
11-18-2005, 04:58 PM
That is one way of bypassing the Pass Key system, and it will work. There are charts on the net that have the resistance values for all 15 different key pellets (resistors).

You can also use a new, uncoded pass key moudual and if you do not let it detect a resistance value, the car wil start and run, but the security light will be on.

Still, I have to argue, in my opinion that the insurance discount will more than pay for the repair, if you keep the car for a bit ~ not alone to say that it does make it just that much harder for someone to drive off in your ride.

D~

Add your comment to this topic!