Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 Lumina needs to "rest" between starts!

rufride101
06-20-2005, 10:42 AM
I have a 1990 Lumina.

My car starts fine, and drives well, but if I turn it off, it takes anywhere from 2.5-4 hours to restart.

The radio will come on, the lights work, but the ignition makes no noise whatsoever.

Once it starts, after resting, then it is fine until I turn it off again.

I had a new alternator put on less than 6 months ago.
I replaced all the spark plugs.

I think the battery is okay, since the radio and lights work.

Last summer I took it to the shop, they said it was a sensor, they fixxed it, but it started acting up again this spring.

I took it to the same place, and they could not get it to die, and they have no record, or remembrance, as to what they did to fix it last time. Could it be the starter?

Does a bad starter have to rest between starts?

It is becoming a problem because I take care of my disabled mother, and when I take her to the doctors office or the store, I run the risk of us getting stuck, which has happened before.

Any suggestions??? Thanks.

NeonKnight
06-20-2005, 02:45 PM
First thing first, Welcome! and i hope we can solve your problem.

I have a 1990 Lumina.

Does a bad starter have to rest between starts?

Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Its a 3.1 Engine correct?

Also im not sure if when a starter goes bad that it has to rest. Maybe the battery just doesnt have enough juice to take the load of turning over the engine. Did you do the alternator yourself?

If so. did you make sure to disconnect the battery before you did. i remember reading something about you can damage the battery if you dont or something of the sort.

Also if its a sensor then your SES (engine check light) should come on. If that lights on go down to your local autozone and have the pull the code for you. Its free.

well you can try that. im no mechanic. but having this car and the chiltons for it has made me learn a decent amount. Im the do-it-yourselfer kinda guy. :banghead: <--- one of those haha.

Well see what happens. report back to us bud. Take care

jeffcoslacker
06-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Have someone hold the key all the way over to the start position when it does this, and move the wiring to the starter around. Same with your battery cables. If it suddenly cranks, you need to clean and tighten some connections.

If nothing happens, get a hammer and give the starter a good crack while someone holds the key over to start. It's pretty accessable, down low on the front of the motor, facing the radiator.

Make sure:

You don't hit anything else
You don't put a hole in the radiator on the backswing
You are hitting the starter motor, not the solenoid (the part the wires go to)

If it starts up, you have a defect in the starter windings or brushes, you need a starter.

Add your comment to this topic!