broken fuel gauge??? please help me!!!

my passport sucks
06-20-2005, 02:50 AM
hello all,

i have a 2000 honda passport and in the past year or so i've been having problems with the fuel gauge. it seems to fluctuate quiet quickly and shows less fuel than what i really have. for example, it will show 1/4 tank when i really have half. it also seems as though it is super sensitive when turning or on hills, the gauge will plummet to empty and stay between empty and 1/4 when in acutality there is more fuel than that. this substantial change in the fuel gauge in turn sets off the check engine light. the light will remain on until there is a good amount of fuel in the tank, such as more than 1/2 or full, then it turns off until the gauge shows "empty" again.

i've also had problems with the "gear indicator" (sorry, i don't know what it's called. it's in the center of all the meters and gauges. it looks like this: P R N D 3 2 L). the light that indicates what gear it's in will not move from the P position when the engine is running, put into PARK, then THE LIGHT ONLY is unable to move back to D. the car will drive forward even if the light indicator is still in PARK but the car will jolt or nudge forward as it increases speed and shifts. it's very, very hard to explain this problem in writing. maybe i could explain more on a 1 on 1 level.

if anyone can tell me what the problem is or if you just have suggestions, please write me. i'd appreciate it so much!

thanks,
raquel

rodeo02
06-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Raquel, search this forum for "fuel sending unit", "fuel level", "gas gauge", etc.. for the level indicator issue. For the trans issue, this sounds like the classic range/mode sensor problem. TONS of info in this forum for both of these. Both very fixable.
G/luck
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!