97 Jimmy AC Compressor Installation Help

Greedfly13
06-20-2005, 12:32 AM
This forum has proved very helpful to me in the past and I want to thank you in advance for your help.

My AC compressor was dead, so I have installed a new compressor (reman), accumulator and orifice tube. I made sure to lube all o-rings when putting the system back together. I plan on taking it to a shop this week to have the system vaccumed down and recharged (it's really getting hot now!). Before I take it in, I have 2 questions:

1. The specs call for 8 oz. of PAG oil...but I need to know where to install the oil. Where exactly do I install the oil (where in the compressor, accumulator, etc)...and are there any tips for the oil installation?

2. Is it a good idea to "flush or clean" the system and/or hoses? If so, what should I use and what procedure should I follow?

Thank you for your help and please tell me if there is anything else I should do/need to know before taking it in to the shop.

blazee
06-20-2005, 07:13 AM
Make sure you use PAG 150, it is for GM applications. You pour it in the compressor and the accumulator before reconnecting the lines. The compressor has no oil pump, the oil is distributed through the refrigerant. To make sure the compressor stays lubed at the initial start-up, you need to distribute the oil throughout the system. When you pour it in the compressor, turn the compressor by hand to circulate the oil. (turn the compressor, not just the clutch...it will be hard to turn)

Greedfly13
06-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the info. I know this is a dumb question, but I want to make sure I have done this correctly...does it matter which port on the compressor and accumulator I pour the oil into? Also, how much oil in each one (I've heard 6 oz in the compressor and 2 in the accumulator).

blazee
06-20-2005, 09:37 AM
You are actually suppose to put 2 ounces in the compressor, 2 ounces in the accumulator, 2 ounces in the evaporator, and 2 in the condensor. But if you don't want to go through all that....I'd just put about 3 ounces in the compressor and the rest in the accumulator. That way the oil gets distributed thoughout the system when you add the refrigerant through the low side port on the accumulator.

When adding the oil to each componet, split it up between each of the two holes.

DelCoch
06-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Did the compressor come with instructions, stating whether it already contained oil or not? My manual says, when installing a new or re-built compressor; dump all the oil out of the compressor and re-fill with the proper amount.

DelC

Greedfly13
06-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Thank you all for the responses...and YES, the compressor did come with instructions. It states that the compressor is shipped with "assembly lube" which is not necessary to drain. I will probably only install about 7.5 ounces just to be safe...since it does have a very small amount of oil in it.

Add your comment to this topic!