Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Acura Nsx R-GT vs R34 Nismo Z-Tune

jcsaleen
06-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Acura Finest vs Nismo's new record breaker...

Acura Nsx R-GT (carbon widebody) 500,000 usd production - 30 made.
Weight is 2560 lbs 276 hp 230 tq with a 3.2 litre V6. Rwd
http://img244.echo.cx/img244/479/nsxrgt05017uo.th.jpg (http://img244.echo.cx/my.php?image=nsxrgt05017uo.jpg)http://img244.echo.cx/img244/8231/nsxrgt05024po.th.jpg (http://img244.echo.cx/my.php?image=nsxrgt05024po.jpg)http://img244.echo.cx/img244/227/nsxrgt05039fk.th.jpg (http://img244.echo.cx/my.php?image=nsxrgt05039fk.jpg)

Nismo R34 Z-Tune (normal all carbon body) 160,000 usd production - 20 made.
weight 3525 lbs 500 hp 398Tq 2.8 litre inline 6. 4wd

http://img244.echo.cx/img244/7195/skylineztune65sj.th.jpg (http://img244.echo.cx/my.php?image=skylineztune65sj.jpg)http://img219.echo.cx/img219/7583/skylineztune92jv.th.jpg (http://img219.echo.cx/my.php?image=skylineztune92jv.jpg)http://img219.echo.cx/img219/7190/skylineztune122nv.th.jpg (http://img219.echo.cx/my.php?image=skylineztune122nv.jpg)

slideways...
06-19-2005, 09:46 PM
oooo nice
1/4mile-skyline
tsukuba-NSX
fuji speedway-close but id say skyline
oval track-NSX
touge-close but id say NSX

Zachp911
06-19-2005, 09:51 PM
This is tough, I chose the NSX R-GT though only because there is a 965 lb. difference between the 2 cars. NSX is a hell lot lighter!!

kman10587
06-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Oh look, the ultimate R34 is still an overweight, hideous-looking pig! NSX, please.

TatII
06-20-2005, 12:05 AM
let me fill you guys in on more specs on the Z tune, the Z tune has the same crank as the JGTC500 car, its has a 2.8 liter engine, it has improved intake manifold design, alot of titanium was used, it has a full interior, it has 6 pot special custom brembo brakes, it has oil coolers for the differentials, the wide body work is carbon fiber.

this car runs 10.1 in the 1/4 at the test track. the 500hp is severly underated. this car will run circles around the nsx.

the car with the tires it comes with can pull 1.6 G's on deceleration, it comes with custom adjustable sachs coil-overs, and with a custom and more aggressively tuned attesa ets to accommidate the extra power.

this is a a completely re worked car using only the best parts. the nsx is nothing more then a nsx-r with different body work and a wider stance, but mechanically its identical to the nsx-r. the only reason why honda built this car was becasue the JGTC 500 NSX's was gettin owned, even this year after they started boosting the engine, they were gettin their ass kicked by the Z's and the supras. and before the Z's time, they were gettin their ass handed to them by the GTR and supras.

honda was forced to use different aerodynamic tricks to put into their nsx but the rule would not allow it to be put on the car unless similar body work is put on a street going version. that is honda's sole reason for building it. they dont' care if they sell 0 cars, that car is only put out so they can use the new body work at the race track.

my vote goes to the Z-Tune, the pinnacle (sp) of japanese imports by a long shot. the honda is waaay over priced, it has so little gain in performance over the standard r, yet it cost roughtly 5x's the amount. that is a pure joke. atleast the gt-r is fully reworked down to the chassis welding.

kman10587
06-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Who cares if the Z-Tune is faster? Of course it's faster, it's a rough-and-ready, stripped-down race car. The NSX is more exclusive, more involving to drive, better-looking, more comfortable, and a hell of a lot more classy.

Even though these are both race car versions of lesser models, I don't think they belong in the same comparison. The Z-Tune is a street-legal race car; the NSX R-GT is a daily-drivable exotic with some minor performance enhancements. Two different purposes, two different cars.

drunken monkey
06-20-2005, 06:11 AM
so... this is a comparison between a highly tuned car and a car that only has a new body for homologation purposes.

jcsaleen
06-20-2005, 09:37 AM
so... this is a comparison between a highly tuned car and a car that only has a new body for homologation purposes.

Well the news body and the forced induction which really doesn't make a difference because the power an litre are still the same. The nsx R-GT is being used as a shortcut towards futher development on the JGTC nsx's.
The Jgtc wouldnt allow the new style nsx compete (Nsx R-GT) because the series is only mean't for PRODUCTION cars. So they took the easy way out and said hey we made 30 of them to sell to the general public and they did. Now the R-GT is elegable for the JGTC.

drunken monkey
06-20-2005, 10:28 AM
yes.
i know.
my point was, this is a comparison between a car that has gone through a tuning process and one that has not.

given the money i'd go for a good ol' regular nsx-r

TatII
06-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Who cares if the Z-Tune is faster? Of course it's faster, it's a rough-and-ready, stripped-down race car. The NSX is more exclusive, more involving to drive, better-looking, more comfortable, and a hell of a lot more classy.

Even though these are both race car versions of lesser models, I don't think they belong in the same comparison. The Z-Tune is a street-legal race car; the NSX R-GT is a daily-drivable exotic with some minor performance enhancements. Two different purposes, two different cars.

the Z tune is not a stripped down race car, it has a full interior with alcantara trim. it probrably still has more amenities then the nsx-r. thats the most impressive part about it, because its not a stripped down race but, but a full interior car that can put a hurting on almost any car out there on the road.

this car is designed to be able to run all out for 30 minutes at a time. thats very stout for a street car.

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0505_scc_skyline_13_z.jpg

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0505_scc_skyline_14_z.jpg

look at the hardware that goes with it.

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0505_scc_skyline_05_z.jpg

they spot welded all the seams to make the chassis stronger without having to add a roll cage. look at the beautiful workmen ship. and that titanium strut tower brace.

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0505_scc_skyline_04_z.jpg

carbon fiber body work with a widen stance with custom nismo lm gt4 rims by rays engineering.

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0505_scc_skyline_02_z.jpg

custom 6 pot brembos with 14.3 inch rotors and the sachs remote reservoir adjustable coil overs.

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0505_scc_skyline_21_z.jpg

titanium exhuast with true dual piping that leads to a large single collector, with the oil coolers for the diff in the rear.

this car is no joke, its got the hardware of a full race car, but its still has the practicality of a plain jane gtr.

and to be honest with you, the nsx-rgt is very ugly. the plain jane nsx-r looks much better and for honda to have the nerve to charge 5x the amount for basically the same car is ridiculous.

illegal_eagle187
06-20-2005, 12:29 PM
i'd say the skyline would take the nsx, but thats my opinion

BlackGT2000
06-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Well the NSX R-GT is just the latest example of an NSX having a horrible price to performance ratio. I am not surprised about that. I am not really the biggest fan of the skyline Z tune either, although an amazing car, I just tend not to like it because everyone else always talks up the regular skyline so much. I do think the NSX looks better, but in this comparrison the Skyline Ztune is clearly a better performer by a long shot.

drunken monkey
06-20-2005, 05:14 PM
that is exactly my point.
one is a tuned car meant for performance.
one is JUST a car with a new and horribly expensive carbon fibre body for homologation.
of course one is going to be faster than the other....

with that in mind, i'd still say that US$500,000 is a tad too much and for the most part, totally unnecessary when the normal nsx is enough.

jcsaleen
06-20-2005, 05:20 PM
with that in mind, i'd still say that US$500,000 is a tad too much and for the most part, totally unnecessary when the normal nsx is enough.

Same It's the "supposed" value to collectors.... thats why the price is so high. The number was originaly 5 production nsx's but bumped to 30 because 3 B.A.R members already own 1 each. 2 of them are Jenson. B and T. Sato.

kman10587
06-20-2005, 07:05 PM
that is exactly my point.
one is a tuned car meant for performance.
one is JUST a car with a new and horribly expensive carbon fibre body for homologation.
of course one is going to be faster than the other....

That was my point too. Of course the Z-Tune performs better, but it'll never be able to match the NSX's image of prestige, exclusivity, and exoticness. The fact that the Z-Tune performs better is irrelevant to the casual observer, who will undoubtedly see and perceive the NSX as the better car.

jcsaleen
06-20-2005, 09:25 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

My vote for looks is the Z-Tune. The forced induction scoop is rediculous because its just goes to show how its just for looks. It runs the same numbers with out the scoop (wtf). Just another example of an under powered sports car. 2568 lbs (214 hp per ton) not bad but atleast make use of the scoop and bump the litre's as well no one who buys that car is going to worry about gas $.

VAD0R
06-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

My vote for looks is the Z-Tune. The forced induction scoop is rediculous because its just goes to show how its just for looks. It runs the same numbers with out the scoop (wtf). Just another example of an under powered sports car. 2568 lbs (214 hp per ton) not bad but atleast make use of the scoop and bump the litre's as well no one who buys that car is going to worry about gas $.

And you know this how? That overhead scoop at least serves in cooling the whole engine at high speeds and perhaps decreasing reward drag. Like it said in the original post the modification towards body and maybe suspension, with all of it shaving about 500lbs lighter than the regular and 200lbs than the NSX R. Which is hard enough as is without doing any extensive body modifacations, which is exactly what they did. This car was made to fit homogenization requirements for a professional racing bracket, I don't think they would do a whole of things purely for looks to this car.

slideways...
06-21-2005, 02:31 AM
actually the specific reason that nsx was made was to incorporate the large roof scoop that honda wanted to use in jgtc but couldnt because it wouldnt fit the nsx silhouette (sp). if anything the NSX-R GT is the stripped down race car, not the skyline.

edit: so if they wanted to use it in jgtc, its obviously not for looks...

jcsaleen
06-21-2005, 07:33 AM
And you know this how? That overhead scoop at least serves in cooling the whole engine at high speeds and perhaps decreasing reward drag. Like it said in the original post the modification towards body and maybe suspension, with all of it shaving about 500lbs lighter than the regular and 200lbs than the NSX R. Which is hard enough as is without doing any extensive body modifacations, which is exactly what they did. This car was made to fit homogenization requirements for a professional racing bracket, I don't think they would do a whole of things purely for looks to this car.

Yes but theres no power increase theres still the same weak numbers where as the Z-Tune is lighter and more powerfull.

A question to anyone why hasn't honda made a Turbo version?

drunken monkey
06-21-2005, 10:23 AM
on a track, it's still very questionable as to whether the z-tune will be the faster car.
remember that vid of the nsx-r pounding on a lambo murcie and gallardo and two other cars that i can't remember (993 turbo+M3?)....
the only reason the lambo got ahead is because it held up the old man on one of the corners, preventing him from zooming off and maintaining the lead.
given a clear track, i'll bet the nsx could set faster lap times than the lambos.

and here we have an nsx that is lighter, has more downforce and an engine that has more cool air feeding it. Any ideas if its running on wider tyres?

turbo nsx.
no idea.
it's not like they don't know anything about them.
(1200bhp 1.5 engines anyone?)
i think a better question is why no V8?

fairladyz_gt-r
06-21-2005, 11:53 AM
well....around the tsukuba the Z-tune beat the ferrari 360 challange....with the lap time of 1min01.5sec. and as for the NSX-R GT having more class.... i mean....try show up with that car and its huge intake...u will be laugh at for hours! and the interrior...one have a hand made leghter interrior another one have nothing...which one have more class ei?

kman10587
06-21-2005, 12:12 PM
well....around the tsukuba the Z-tune beat the ferrari 360 challange....with the lap time of 1min01.5sec. and as for the NSX-R GT having more class.... i mean....try show up with that car and its huge intake...u will be laugh at for hours! and the interrior...one have a hand made leghter interrior another one have nothing...which one have more class ei?

You're missing the point completely. Real Ferraris and Lamborghinis have spartan interiors, giant intakes, and very overdone looks, but if you were to show up in one of those, you'd be the envy of the whole party. Sure, the NSX R-GT's big intake might get you laughed at, but it will definitely get you attention, more than any R34 is ever going to get you. When people see the Skyline Z-Tune, they see a $50,000 car with a wing and some rims. But when they see the NSX, they see an exotic sports car.

You'll get no argument from me that the Z-Tune is the faster car - the horsepower advantage is just too drastic - but the NSX is the much more desirable sports car.

drunken monkey
06-21-2005, 12:50 PM

yes.
which goes back to (not just) me saying that the regular off the shelf nsx (or if you really have to, nsx-r) being more than enough.
so what if the homologation car doesn't have much of an interior.
the regular car is practically 100% hand built and almost entirely made out of aluminium (i know, no biggie these days...). out of the box all them years ago, the car was near perfect. the skyline gtr on the other hand has gone through how many generations of evolution?

and heck, with that power/torque advantage, if it isn't faster then there is something really wrong.
the fact that despite the power/torque disadvantage, the nsx is still going to give most other cars trouble on a track says something about just how good the nsx is.
of course, this is not to say that the z-tune is a bad car.
i'm just trying to remind people about the pure and simple fact that 13/14 years after the nsx was first released that people are still comparing it to modern cars with much more power says something.

fairladyz_gt-r
06-21-2005, 01:50 PM
well...NSX has recive alot of minor change too...u do know that rite?

drunken monkey
06-21-2005, 01:55 PM
not that much.
they enlarged the engine, uprated the suspension, picked at the still heavy steering but nothing major like what the gtr has gone through from r32 to r34.

k3smostwanted
06-22-2005, 01:09 PM
not that much.
they enlarged the engine, uprated the suspension, picked at the still heavy steering but nothing major like what the gtr has gone through from r32 to r34.

for the sake of argument, what has changed from R32-R34??? im not too familiar with the changes and what not but it still carrries the RB26DETT, still has the AWD system, im sure suspension has changed...someone clue me in. i wouldnt call body re-modeling major changes but i say that the RB26DETT survived over a decade without enlarging it.

but aside from that...id take the NSX over the Z-tune. something about the NSX that just seperates it...

drunken monkey
06-22-2005, 03:55 PM
the biggest ones being revisions to software systems that manages the four wheel drive and four wheel steer
(i.e the thing that keeps the car moving in a straight line.... or not....).
completely remodelled undertray.
completely new, stiffer body shells.
then there's the usual larger wheels, bigger brakes, newer (better/more modern) gearbox, suspension tweaks.
(i think they also revised the multi-link suspension entirely from R33 to R34).
i can't remember exactly but i think there was also some revision of the turbos from R33 to R34.
at least i'm aware that official UK R33's had titanium turbos (as part of the all weather pack, usually a japanese option) which run better/smoother and from R34 i think it was standard.
perhaps all you guys who bought a GT-R brand new could fill in the holes.

anyway.
just to re-iterate in case people mistake me for a skyline hater.
i don't hate the skyline.
in fact i quite like it because it is one of the more capapble true seat four adults, big boot, easy to drive, fast cars out there. sure it's a little overpriced and while the interior's not the most luxurious, it's not as dull as the one in the NSX.
you also won't bang your head on the glass every time you check your blind spot as you do in the NSX (try it....)
and that's kinda it.

for me, the skyline is the car i'd maybe choose if i was after a sensible car that i could enjoy.
the nsx is just a car that i'd enjoy with no compromise.
it's that purity that sets it apart from the skyline but again, this is just because i view them as two totally different things.
if you want a japanese car to compare with it, i think the 3rd gen RX-7 and Supra compare better, all three being two seater coupes, light(ish) with more or less the same power.
the Skyline GT-R doesn't really belong in there, it, in Japan, being the car for the older gentleman.

given the choice, i'd have both.
if i don't have that option, then it'd be the nsx.
or a 911.

slideways...
06-22-2005, 06:42 PM
the r33 got titanium and the r34 had ceramic turbine and compressor blades with dual ball bearings.(that were very heat resistant and efficient but tended to shatter over 500hp

the ATTESA ETS-PRO was not revised much at all until the later R34 versions got slight updates (i.e. vspecII, Mspec, NUR, ect.)

not sure about the suspension or brakes but im sure they were tweaked accordingly

k3smostwanted
06-23-2005, 01:00 PM
the biggest ones being revisions to software systems that manages the four wheel drive and four wheel steer
(i.e the thing that keeps the car moving in a straight line.... or not....).
completely remodelled undertray.
completely new, stiffer body shells.
then there's the usual larger wheels, bigger brakes, newer (better/more modern) gearbox, suspension tweaks.
(i think they also revised the multi-link suspension entirely from R33 to R34).
i can't remember exactly but i think there was also some revision of the turbos from R33 to R34.
at least i'm aware that official UK R33's had titanium turbos (as part of the all weather pack, usually a japanese option) which run better/smoother and from R34 i think it was standard.
perhaps all you guys who bought a GT-R brand new could fill in the holes.

yeah thats alot of remodeling...but it seems to me that all of those things were not a huge revision compared to most cars changes through generations. it still carried the same motor and same basic form and control systems. for a motor to last through technological revisions over a decade says something about that motor in particular.

i think they were both built REALLY well in the early 90's to hold up to their same basic format 15 years later.

jcsaleen
06-23-2005, 06:34 PM
turbo nsx.
no idea.
it's not like they don't know anything about them.
(1200bhp 1.5 engines anyone?)
i think a better question is why no V8?

Well the closest thing Ive seen so far was a basch (weird name) supercharger.

http://img158.echo.cx/img158/8076/1050558jpg6ht.jpg

MclarenF1
06-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Hey everyone.

I just wondered if anyone read that the air scoop on the NSX is non-functional. Ugh. I think I read that in the latest Motor Trend issue.

Anyway, I gave my vote to the Nissan. With he 4wd and full interior, it would definately be the better real world car. And if you get it on the track, well, it will more than hold it's own there, too. The numbers speak for themselves. Someone already mentioned the low ten second quarter mile capabilites. Nissan is also claiming 0-60 in about 3 seconds flat. And then there's the price thing. Seems like alot more bang for the buck to me.

Don't get me wrong- I love the NSX, and really think it is the better looking car. (Except for the apparently fake snorkel.) And in hard terms, I do agree that it is the more pure sports car. As far as the casual observer is concerned, I really think one car will probably get you about as much attention as the other. If attention is really what you're after, though, both of these cars would probably be a poor choice. Especially the NSX. For half a mil you you could get other exotic machinery with better overall performance numbers. If I was a rich guy who just wanted to put a very rare memorial to a unique time in the JGTC championchip in my garage, the NSX would be the way to go. Also, there's that fact that the NSX may not be with us much longer. Maybe that would also make it more worth having. I'd like to have that and an Alex Zanardi edition side by side.

But if I could only have one (..drool..) I'd have to get the Nismo.

jcsaleen
06-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Yes this is the last year of the nsx's production. :rolleyes:

MclarenF1
06-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Yes this is the last year of the nsx's production. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm aware of that :rolleyes: .

jcsaleen
06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Shame too... :crying: I miss the 300Zx to Im not a fan of the 350 that much.

kman10587
06-28-2005, 05:02 PM
It's also the last year of the S2000's production. It looks like Honda has given up on rear-wheel-drive. Doesn't bother me that much, seeing as how their FWD cars kick enough ass already.

jcsaleen
06-28-2005, 05:05 PM
It's also the last year of the S2000's production. It looks like Honda has given up on rear-wheel-drive. Doesn't bother me that much, seeing as how their FWD cars kick enough ass already.

Yes but the S2000 is very nice and the nsx is legendary.

RWD > Fwd Nuff said..

MclarenF1
06-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Yes but the S2000 is very nice and the nsx is legendary.

RWD > Fwd Nuff said..

I definitely agree. The death of the NSX was expected. The death of the S2000 bothers me a lot, though. I thought sales on that car were still doing okay. Honda makes great FWD cars, but that makes it all the more frustrating. Just look what they can do when they put their minds to work on a RWD chassis. If Honda would build a 2 seat, hard top, RWD sports car like the 350Z (but hopefully with better styling) and put their 300hp V6 in it with a price tag less than 31 grand, that would be fantastic.

Since we're on the subject of dying sports cars, what do you all think will happen to the 350Z? Do think it will make it to another generation, or will Nissan kill it off again? Zs have always been prone to flavor of the month syndrome, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan becomes frustrated and drops it again. I haven't had the chance to look at current sales figures for that car.

jcsaleen
06-28-2005, 05:45 PM
The Z....

Its hard to tell just because its one of those cars where you love it hate it. Its not really a car that grows on you. As far as sales go I dont think theres that many going out to the public as far as demand. Nissan will probably Axe the Z but not anytime soon probably in like 5 or so years maybe.

kman10587
06-28-2005, 10:35 PM
RWD > Fwd Nuff said..

HERE WE GO AGAIN!! The most overdone argument since the STi and the Evo hit U.S. shores.

jcsaleen
06-28-2005, 11:02 PM
HERE WE GO AGAIN!! The most overdone argument since the STi and the Evo hit U.S. shores.

1 question then. What happens to the weight of the car when you hit the accelerator where does the power an grip go?

kman10587
06-28-2005, 11:30 PM
I know exactly what you want me to say, but it's not that simple. To properly answer that question, I'd have to go into a long, technical explanation, one that has already been given many times before on these forums. Look around.

jcsaleen
06-28-2005, 11:44 PM
1 question then. What happens to the weight of the car when you hit the accelerator where does the power an grip go?

Question 2 When the Skyline was made with a smart system to transfer the power from 4wd to...... Rwd why is that?

kman10587
06-28-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm not 100% sure how the ATTESA-ETS system works, but I know it goes from RWD to 4WD, not the other way around. What it does is pretty simple, really - it just sends power to whichever wheel(s) have the most traction. I think the system is deadweight, personally - I'd rather it just be straight rear-wheel-drive - but it definitely does help to improve the car's lap times.

jcsaleen
06-28-2005, 11:54 PM
4wd to Rwd as in entering or exiting a corner for max torque is what I meant.

kman10587
06-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Well yeah, but in a high-powered car like the GT-R, you don't always want max torque. You're liable to just send your rear tires up in smoke. It's better to just send the power to the tires that already have grip, hence the purpose of ATTESA-ETS.

k3smostwanted
06-29-2005, 12:50 PM
actually, i am pretty sure the new electronic AWD system of the Nissan's is pretty unique.

the new one that has been talked about going onto the new GTR. it will be a RWD bias car but when hard cornering and launching, it has a computer that electronically activates 2 electric motors to power the front wheels to add stability and lateral grip fo AWD without the drivetrain loss. it also, will cut down on alot fo the weight that AWD adds to a car...

im sure there is more to it than that but that is the basic layout. they are actually using it on the Nissan Cube and a couple other cars that are now being offered to Japan. more or less, i think these cars are test monkeys to see what bugs need to be worked out of the system to offer it in the higher performance GTR.

as for the 350Z being axed, as of right now..it wouldnt bother me if it did. i think they should definitely come out with a new generation and take another stab at it. the 350Z definitely did good in sales on 03-04 but maybe not so much anymore with the new Ford Mustang and Dodge Charger coming out, with US buyers more or less focused on these 2 cars.

i expect another Fast and the Furious to be made and a 350Z to be starred in it, so i figure sales should make an impressive jump...

Panda_Integra
06-29-2005, 12:56 PM
come join me in this chat room to discuss this topic. Here is the address.

http://www.chatzy.com/757899427503

Panda_Integra
06-29-2005, 01:02 PM
come join me in this chat room to discuss this topic. Here is the address.

http://www.chatzy.com/757899427503

Add your comment to this topic!