Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Light Fog on my Paint? ::Question::

ImolaEK
06-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Okay, so i primered the car like normal, did a nice light coat of primer, but enough to cover the whole area, as usual. Things were going dandy at this point, so i place the primered car in the dehydrator for a day (as usual) and then the following day (today) I spray the car with the base coat (color). I start out with my light coat, as usual. Then i move on with slightlier heavier coats. Wet sand, then do another coat, and do this for like 3 coats. And then...dun dun dun dun! Fog appears in some sections of the car. At this point im like :wtf: So I want to know! What did i do wrong! Was it the humidity or the temperature? I thought today was a great day to paint! Humidity was around 60% and temperature was 72 degrees ! Here are pictures.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTczODA5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wOTczODEwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

blubaja
06-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Looks like the paint is too "dry" in that one spot. I dunno y...I guess you can wetsand, buff and clear clear it. I dunno man. We get that at school sometimes. And that's how we get rid of it. Good luck Joeham.

Frank X.

MPWR
06-19-2005, 08:55 PM
What are you using for primer, and what are you using for paint? If I had to say, it was a reaction between the primer and paint, possibly because the primer hadn't cured....?

Canneth
06-19-2005, 10:44 PM
A sudden change in room temperature also cause fogging of the paint, at least it is what happened to my build.... Hope it helps...

Merkava
06-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Heh, you will be getting a different answer from everyone, but from my experience (so only take it for that) fogging happens when there is just too much humidity. If you ever try to spray lacquer on a rainy day, this usually happens. Is it possible that when you wetsanded, you did not completely dry the car?

The good news, after all that, is that this condition is not a difficult fix. Just polish the fogged sections with fine compound, and it should be fine.

Good luck!

ImolaEK
06-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Sweet! Thanks guys, all your views sound pretty good to me so i will be aware of them at all times:) I fixed the problem;) I wetsanded it and shot light coat over it, eventhough i got a big of orange peel:( :lol:

ImolaEK
06-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Sweet! Thanks guys, all your views sound pretty good to me so i will be aware of them at all times:) I fixed the problem;) I wetsanded it and shot light coat over it, eventhough i got a big of orange peel:( :lol:

Seems like i jinxed it, fog is back up again:( :lol:

bri g
06-21-2005, 12:34 AM
that happens to me a lot too when I airbrush laquer on rainy days. What I do is hold the model up to a warm source (in my case I use a halogen lamp). You should see the fog slowly clear up. HTH

freakmech
06-21-2005, 12:44 AM
i live in new orleans where there is always very high humidity. dont think thats the exact problem here. i had very similar fogging recently where i had excellent paint then put the model in the car to show some friends and the model got heated up quite a bit and had a very similar fog so i assume it was a heat change that did it. you should wait a few hours before putting it in the dehydrator cus this adds a substantial difference in temp. and humidity much like my car did with my kit. though after the car dried for a week i was able to sand and buff it out though if this is a metallic color, cant tell in pic, this might not be an option.

Add your comment to this topic!