Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

82 RX-7 Restored engine WONTED START!! help

chrisk7k
06-19-2005, 05:35 PM
hey, i have an 82 RX-7 with the 12a rotary engine. When i got it, it started but needed a lot of playing around before it would start and when it did, it would not idle. So i got the engine restored by some well-know company in calgary. Now i got the engine back (like new, they pretty much replaced everthing with new parts), droped it in and it wont start at ALL!

Any help or adive would be greatly appreacted!!

FDTT
06-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Have you tryed the ATF trick?
Is the timing set right? Are all the lines hooked up right? Any vacume leaks? Fuel lines hooked up properly?
Does it turn over at all?

chrisk7k
06-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Everything is hooked up perfectly, no vacuum leaks, and everything seems to be functioning properly. (checked everything like 10 times) It does turn over beautifully considering I got a new starter and a good battery. It’s getting fuel and the spark is good also. What’s the ATF trick if you don’t mind me asking?.....one thing I am iffy on is the timing but it tried all the distributor swivel positions and the engine doesn’t want to catch on..nothing…it just keeps cranking.

FDTT
06-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Remove traling plug, put in some ATF, then try to start it up. Also make sure that you have all the wires pluged in properly. Make sure you are getting fuel as well.

drftk1d
06-21-2005, 02:47 PM
use marvel mystery oil if you can get your hands on it (instead of the ATF).

D3rELiC
06-22-2005, 02:12 AM
fuck guys, dont tell him to waste his seals with ATF, the engine is new just get some starting aids, rebuilts are hard to start, but once the roding is done, they're as sweet as new. make sure everything is alright tho, it may happen that its not working because of a dumb little hose

drftk1d
06-22-2005, 11:46 AM
i thought you werent coming back derelic

chrisk7k
06-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys…but still no luck..
I got a starting aid kit…but that does nothing… I’m starting too realize that the engine is flooding (well I’m almost sure of it) since I had fuel dripping out it of my tailpipe (NO muffler or cat…just straight pipe from the headers to the side of the car)..
I’m now considering hooking it up to my buddy’s car and try jump starting it at higher revs…Whats your view on that???
Just so you know the carb was completely rebuild and cleaned.

31rx7
06-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Chances are at this point your plugs are fouled. Get a new set and start over. BTW, if this is all it takes to start, then you will have a bunch of smoke for awhile out of your tail pipe.

Also, go to rx7club.com and search for the "No Start Thread"

Add your comment to this topic!