IS anyone having problems with oil burning in 2000 rodeo?

Dcdaniels2001
06-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi I'm new at this but need some help I just got my rodeo in Dec. of 2004 and now 6 months later the eng. is doing nothing but burning oil REALLY BAD... i change oil 3 weeks ago and check oil this morring and there's no oil in it.... I went to trade it in last weekend and I'm up side down in my loan can't trade in or can with a payment i can't afford.... so if anyone else is having the same problem please let me know

rodeo02
06-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Browse the many, many posts on oil consumption, usage, etc.... Fairly common on 1998+ 3.2/3.5's. Trading in anything is tough these days with the large incentives & rebates on new vehicles. They all say they want your trade, but they want it for nothing.
G/luck
Joel

marcre
06-19-2005, 03:41 PM
The best advice I can give you is to keep an eye on the oil level. I keep a bottle or two with me at all times. The burning issue is annoying, but if you keep up on it it is no big deal.

Read through the FAQ's and do some of the suggested items to try and reduce your consumption. Change the PCV valve, clean the EGR system real well and you might want to try using sea foam in the engine. Also try running some fuel injector cleaner in the gas before every oil change.

All these will help a bit, but honestly you may still burn some oil. just check it when you fill up with gas and add as needed.

How much oil were you missing when you checked? I hope there was no damage done.

Marc

SilverLS
06-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Mine burns a quart every thousand miles almost to the drop.

I just add a quart everytime the odometer reaches the thousand mark, and no problems.

I only change the oil every 7,500 miles now because I add so much as it is. Every time I change it the oil is very clean. The oil burning thing is almost like a naturally occurring oil change.

suvguy
06-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Use Sea Foam or Amsoil's Engine Flush in the oil right before you change it. Clean the EGR valve and tube that runs through the intake manifold (fairly simple to do and there are many posts that cover this). Run a 0W-30 or 5W-30 synthetic oil for an oil change or two. One of the problems with these motors is the oil drain holes behind the oil rings on the pistons. The oil system has oil going up through the connecting rod and then onto the cylinder walls and those tiny holes in the pistons become clogged with carbon from the oil burning off. Once the holes clog, the oil control ring can't work well and you end up burning oil. You can verify this by looking at your tail pipe. You will find a wet looking ring around the outside of the tail pipe at the very end. This is oil creaping around the pipe as it condenses out of the exaust flow and is blown out he pipe by the velocity of the exhaust. If you don't see it, your not burning very much and/or you have an oil leak somewhere and that is where your loss is.

The tips for reduction and not necessarily elimination of the consumtion problem is touse very good enging flushes like the two I mentioned and run one of the two oil weights I mentioned. If your climate is hot, stay with the 5W-30. Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc. are good choices. Elimination would mean tearing the motor apart and pulling the pistons and cleaning, enlarging or adding more holes to the pistons behind the oil control rings.

suvguy
'00 Rodeo LS 4x2 Auto

Hi I'm new at this but need some help I just got my rodeo in Dec. of 2004 and now 6 months later the eng. is doing nothing but burning oil REALLY BAD... i change oil 3 weeks ago and check oil this morring and there's no oil in it.... I went to trade it in last weekend and I'm up side down in my loan can't trade in or can with a payment i can't afford.... so if anyone else is having the same problem please let me know

rodeo02
06-20-2005, 09:07 PM
To clean the oil drain-back holes in the pistons, you need to do a cylinder soak with seafoam or cleaner of your choice. Pull the sparkplugs, pour a cleaner product thru each plug hole & into each cylinder. Let it soak overnight in a warm garage (12hrs optimum). Place rags over the valve covers to cover all the plug holes and turn the engine over for a few seconds to blow out the dirty liquid. Button everything up and you are good to go. I've seen posts on other boards that this works for the 3.2/3.5 oil burners, and it works like a champ for oil burning saturns and DMC/Chrysler products.
G/luck
Joel

Dcdaniels2001
06-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I traded it in Thurday for a 2005 Nissan Sentra the nissan is alot better on gas and i have Warr. woohooo so happy to be out of the Rodeo.... THanks all for the help but i feel that it was best to just get rid of it...

Add your comment to this topic!