Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Quick off the start?

SoCalLove
06-19-2005, 02:28 AM
Hello, what's a good car that is quick from a stop and gets good gas mileage? It doesn't have to have a very high top end speed but good acceleration up to around 60-70ish would be nice. Thank you.

street_racer_00
06-19-2005, 02:31 AM
Honestly? My car...it isn't very keen on top end, but it really moves to about 80 mph for an automatic 6 banger...gas mileage is about 25 or 26 highway, I don't know if you want something better than that.

SoCalLove
06-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Cool, thanks. Have you done any modifications to your Maxima? If anyone else has an opinion, please speak up as I would like to hear as many opinions as possible. Thanks.

Right_LiRrr
06-19-2005, 04:51 AM
good acceleration and good gas mileage don't really go together.

If you want unbeatable acceleration to about 60mph, I'd say a turboed AWD is the way to go.

-Jayson-
06-19-2005, 06:42 AM
any car that hits its torque peak really low. If you want off the line excelleration, you must have low end torque.

CBFryman
06-19-2005, 09:41 AM
heh, my truck is good off the line (better than the scion, the astro, the trail blazer, and the frontier and better then freinds cars) but falls on its face after the top of 2nd thich is like 50... but i get 18mpg if i do mostly city and 24 is i do mostly highway (wht the larger tires, before it was like 23.5 with the 245/75's, now i have 265/75's, i cruise at 75mph at a little bit lower RPM. i could have also just een driving conditions and air temperature though)

SoCalLove
06-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Sorry that I didn't clarify that part. I want good gas mileage when I'm just using it as a daily driver but when I'm actually racing I don't expect it to get good gas mileage. Also, could you please explain what torque is? I'm very sorry, I don't know very much about cars. What are some cheap cars that have a low end torque? Thank you.

CBFryman
06-19-2005, 02:16 PM
torque is rotational force

can be applied in two ways, lb ft and ft lbs

lbs per foot are how many pounds would be able to be lifted with a 2 foot lever.

feet per pound are how many feet the lever is with a 1lb object.

interchangeable measuremnts are kg/m and n/m (kilogram meters and newton meters)

basically a lb/ft is the equvilent of a 1ft rog comming off of the driver shaft at a 90 degree angle for mthe pull of gravity with the number of pounds stated and is equal to a 1lb weight on a rod 90degrees from the pull of gravity as long as the numberstated. the more there is the more work can be done.

horsepower is work done in a ceritan ammount of time, really HP is what you are looking for...

CivRacer95
06-19-2005, 02:54 PM
good acceleration and good gas mileage don't really go together.

If you want unbeatable acceleration to about 60mph, I'd say a turboed AWD is the way to go.

Pfftt...AWD Turbo...they're only good for launching . After that, it's all just a big disappointement.

:grinno:

SoCalLove
06-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Wow, that was kind of confusing. :) Any cars you guys would recommend that would be quick off the start (Or low torque? But I don't know since one of you says I need while another doesn't...)? Thank you!

CivRacer95
06-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Find yourself a AWD DSM ie Turboed Mitsu Eclipse GSX. If not, find yourself a Elclipse GST. Great for the money, and very easy to mod. 1st Gen or 2nd Gen, either way, you'll be satisfied.

RaidenKing
06-19-2005, 03:25 PM
most v8 engined cars will give you pretty good low end acceleration but so much of being quick off the start has to do with how well you can launch.

For example - AWD cars only ask the driver to rev the engine up to around 5500-6000rpm and DUMP the clutch.

RWD cars respond well to slipping the clutch which requires a bit of skill unless you take to it naturally. Dumping the clutch still works with rwd but of course it won't be as effective as an awd launch. Remember to keep revs somewhere between 2500-4500 on a clutch dump launch

FWD cars suffer from torque steer and massive traction loss if you rev up and dump the clutch and slipping is probably one of the only ways to get a good launch off with a strong fwd car (unless you have slicks mounted up front).

SoCalLove
06-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Wow, that was confusing. I'll definately look into some DSM's but what are some other cars that may be good for launching? The only reason I'm asking is because 3 of my friends already have DSM's and it's getting kind of repetative...

CivRacer95
06-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Mitsu 3000GT VR4 (another AWD Turboed car) or a very rare Mitsu Gallant VR4 :naughty:.

uranium235powered
06-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Mitsu Galant VR-4 does sound good :naughty:

SoCalLove
06-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Okay, thanks guys. I'll check those out. How much do you think it would cost me? Also, I know this is pretty lame but I only have around $5K to spend on it. Good gas mileage is a big thing for me though as this is my daily driver. Anyways, what do you guys think of the Mazda Miata, Nissan Sentra, or Infiniti G20? Keep those replies coming! Thanks!

-The Stig-
06-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Subaru WRX is what you're looking for, they get decent milege if you're off the gas.

And are pretty quick outta the hole. I like em.

youngvr4
06-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Pfftt...AWD Turbo...they're only good for launching . After that, it's all just a big disappointement.

Find yourself a AWD DSM ie Turboed Mitsu Eclipse GSX. If not, find yourself a Elclipse GST. Great for the money, and very easy to mod. 1st Gen or 2nd Gen, either way, you'll be satisfied.

Right_LiRrr
06-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Subaru WRX is what you're looking for, they get decent milege if you're off the gas.

And are pretty quick outta the hole. I like em.

Hear that Civ?? Red knows what he's talking about. :iceslolan

SoCalLove
06-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Kind of expensive though, aren't they? I always liked them and the Lancer's but I thought they were out of my price range. I'll check again. Also, what do you guys think about the 3 cars that I mentioned? Thanks.

CivRacer95
06-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Hear that Civ?? Red knows what he's talking about. :iceslolan
No I can't hear what's typed on the computer screen, but I can read it. :biggrin:
Besides, Red is just a misinformed, sloppy, crude, bull headed, fickle, even stupid, moderator.

Kind of ironic wasn't that young? :)

CBFryman
06-19-2005, 07:56 PM
but he is never wrong...

Right_LiRrr
06-20-2005, 03:40 AM
No I can't hear what's typed on the computer screen, but I can read it. :biggrin:
Besides, Red is just a misinformed, sloppy, crude, bull headed, fickle, even stupid, moderator.

:banhim: That's insubordination .....:tongue::grinno:

SoCalLove
06-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for your patience guys. Just a couple of more questions, the Impreza is the WRX, right? Also, do you guys still recommend the older models?

What do you guys think about the Infiniti G20, Nissan 200SX SE-R, and the Mazda Miata? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much for your help!

-Jayson-
06-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Well a Cavalier Z24 with the LD9 engine might actually be a good choice for you. It actually hits its torque peak twice, once at 2400 RPMS and again at 4200 RPMS. For down low grunt its one of the best 4 cylinder cars you can get. It also sounds pretty nice. You can pick up a used 2000 ish Z24 for about 5k. It will run mid to high 15's stock in the quarter mile, and it does get pretty good gas milage. 24 city/30 highway, about.

CassiesMan
06-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Mitsu 3000GT VR4 (another AWD Turboed car) or a very rare Mitsu Gallant VR4 :naughty:.

Are they really that rare? I saw two yesterday.

SoCalLove
06-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Awesome! Thanks Jayson! That really helped, I'll be sure to check out the Z24. Also, is the LD9 a swap or does the Z24 come with an LD9? Also, this is a really stupid question but is it RWD, FWD, or AWD? I'm assuming it's RWD. Thanks so much! That's the kind of replies I'm looking for.

What does everyone else think of a Cavalier Z24? Also, how reliable are they? It seems like it meets everything that I need. Thanks!

Edit: After reading this thread I don't know if I'll get a Z24.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=321201&page=4&pp=15&highlight=Z24

I think I'm probably going to get one of the 3 that I already listed because it seems like the Cavalier isn't a very good car from what I've read. It seems like most people don't like it.

RaidenKing
06-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Awesome! Thanks Jayson! That really helped, I'll be sure to check out the Z24. Also, is the LD9 a swap or does the Z24 come with an LD9? Also, this is a really stupid question but is it RWD, FWD, or AWD? I'm assuming it's RWD. Thanks so much! That's the kind of replies I'm looking for.

What does everyone else think of a Cavalier Z24? Also, how reliable are they? It seems like it meets everything that I need. Thanks!

Edit: After reading this thread I don't know if I'll get a Z24.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=321201&page=4&pp=15&highlight=Z24

I think I'm probably going to get one of the 3 that I already listed because it seems like the Cavalier isn't a very good car from what I've read. It seems like most people don't like it.

This is true, most people HATE cavaliers simply because its a car commonly associated with rice just as the honda civic and toyota corrolla have inherited a strong ricer presence among their ranks as well. Admittedly though, Jayson is a non-ricer with a fairly decent supercharged cavalier... If you go out and get a cavalier just don't expect people to be impressed at all because no matter what you get done to it, it will still seem unimpressive as a cavi. No offense to cavi fanatics but as you well know, I tell it like it is.

Make sure you analyze your choices and do enough looking around to test drive at least 1 or 2 to nail down your final choice.

SoCalLove
06-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Okay, thanks. I've done some research and I'm kind of leaning towards the G20 or 200SX SE-R because they come stock with the SR20DE which I think has a ton of potential. What do you guys think?

How would the Cavalier compare to the 200SX SE-R and the G20?
Thanks!

Edit: I was also looking at the Datsun 240Z and the 280Z and was surprised to find out that they get pretty good gas mileage. Anyways, how would the 240Z and 280Z compare to the G20 and 200SX SE-R? Thank you. Sorry for all of the questions!

CivRacer95
06-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Are they really that rare? I saw two yesterday.

This coming from a guy that sees Lambo's, Ferrari's, Supraz, and everything that is hard to comeby in one's life time all in a few short days :).

Right_LiRrr
06-21-2005, 03:25 AM
Just a couple of more questions, the Impreza is the WRX, right?

Yes the WRX is the second highest Impreza model.

And yeah cassiesman, i see a ferrari like 1 a month.

-Jayson-
06-21-2005, 09:02 AM
ill admit the cavalier does have a bad name for being rice, but usually its not a Z24 thats rice, its usually the shitty 2.2L OHV engine. The Z24 comes with the Ld9 Twin cam Engine. It makes 150HP@5400 RPMS and 155lbs TQ@2400&4200 RPMS. One thing you have to remember is that it is an economy car. Its FWD. I used to own another cavalier before i got my Z24, and i swore to myself i would never buy another cavalier. Well while i was at a dealership looking for a car, there was a Z24 there. Just for shits and giggles i took it for a test drive, i bought the car that day. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise, its a very reliable car. I have 50,000 miles on mine now, and i havent had a single problem with it. Still runs very strong. They also have a pretty big aftermarket as far as performance parts go. I have a GM Supercharger package on my car, this is a video on my car going from 0-80MPH

http://www.zippyvideos.com/203463062441425.html

CassiesMan
06-21-2005, 11:02 AM
This coming from a guy that sees Lambo's, Ferrari's, Supraz, and everything that is hard to comeby in one's life time all in a few short days :).

Touche....

MHO...go with the SE-R/G20, or if you get a 240z...swap in the SR20DET...

SoCalLove
06-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Okay, thank you so much guys for putting up with all my bullshit and not getting super frustrated. I've got it narrowed down to 4 cars then:

- Datsun 240Z
- Nissan 200SX SE-R
- Infiniti G20
- Chevy Cavalier Z24

The three main things that are important to me (In no particular order) are gas mileage, reliability, and quick off the start. So, what do you guys think of these 4 cars would be best for me?

Thank you and sorry for all of the questions! :(

-Jayson-
06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
go test drive each one and find out for yourself. We really cant help you anymore than we already have.

drftk1d
06-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Okay, thank you so much guys for putting up with all my bullshit and not getting super frustrated. I've got it narrowed down to 4 cars then:

- Datsun 240Z
- Nissan 200SX SE-R
- Infiniti G20
- Chevy Cavalier Z24

The three main things that are important to me (In no particular order) are gas mileage, reliability, and quick off the start. So, what do you guys think of these 4 cars would be best for me?

Thank you and sorry for all of the questions! :(

just buy redneck's car. done deal.

SoCalLove
06-22-2005, 02:14 PM
What do you guys think about the Ford Probe or Mazda MX-6?

drftk1d
06-22-2005, 07:37 PM
ask turbo2nr, whenever he decides to come on. shoot him a pm.

street_racer_00
06-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Get the G20...turbo it...pretty common thing to do...that way you'll have a fast car with a pretty nice interior.

SoCalLove
06-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Okay, thanks. What do you other guys think of this? Also, can anyone name some RWD/AWD cars that get good gas mileage (20+ MPG)? If I can think of any that don't look horrendously bad I think I'd probably get that.

Thank you.

drewh4386
06-23-2005, 12:42 PM
My answer is completely biased.

Eclipse GSX or Talon Tsi AWD

both are AWD

SoCalLove
06-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Okay, thanks. From what I've seen though those only get around 20 MPG and I was hoping to get more...

Anywho, does anyone know of a website that lists cars and their drivetrains (I think that's what its called, anyways, what I mean is whether it's FWD, RWD, or AWD)?

Thank you.

-The Stig-
06-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Why do you want a Datsun 240z?

In stock form, and in good tune and the gods are being nice to your Twin SU carbs, it'll run low 16s to high 15s if you're a shifting maniac with a 4 speed. 0-60 is about 9 seconds.

Not exactly the caliber car you're looking for... oh and they don't have A/C. I don't see too many with working heaters, in SoCal you don't need much of a heater but what you do need is the defroster... which is part of the heater. So you're screwed.

You won't get a 240z going fast unless you spend lots on one that's been tweaked, or spend even more to build one up yourself. Meaning fix up the L24 or swap in a motor.

If you're looking for reliability, comfort and overall driveability (not to say they're not reliable, but they are 30+ year old cars and they can have minor problems). Then don't get a 240z, it's one of those cars you have to appreciate and want to drive... cause it beats the shit outta ya! :lol:

I love mine... and hate mine at the same time.

With only $5,000 to spend your choices are somewhat limited to mid '90s cars. And anything with a hint of performance has probably been beat to hell... fixed and beat to hell again. Such as DSM's with turbos and AWD, any RWD V8 coupe like a Mustang or Camaro.

A good 'learners' car I'd say would be a early 1990's Mazda MX-5 Miata. They're not much stock, but they're damn light... handle like a slot car and they're RWD. It won't get you into much trouble to start out with and you can learn the fundamentals of driving stick and going around corners by attending SCCA AutoX events... and maybe save up for a Jackson Racing supercharger kit and some nifty suspension pieces. Now that'd be a fun little car for AutoX. :thumbsup:

Cheers Mate
:cheers:

SoCalLove
06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Okay, cool. Thanks for setting me straight. It seems like the 240Z isn't my cup of tea. Just to mention it, the 5K is for the car only. Aftermarket parts will come later when I have more experience so it doesn't have to be ridculously fast right away.

Thank you!

-The Stig-
06-23-2005, 07:36 PM
5k can buy you... a 1993-1995 Camaro Z28.

This one isn't too far from you, in Orange. And it's an automatic... prefect for a new driver. And if all you're doing is screwin around to 80mph.. this will probably get you there faster than your friends for a long time.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=184456540&dealer_id=56484734&car_year=1995&make=CHEV&distance=100&lang=en&max_price=5000&model=CAM&end_year=1995&min_price=1&certified=&address=90815&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1993&isp=y&cardist=17
This one is cheaper, and has a bit of work done to it...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=183371218&dealer_id=56393496&car_year=1995&make=CHEV&distance=100&lang=en&max_price=5000&model=CAM&end_year=1995&min_price=1&certified=&address=90815&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1993&isp=y&cardist=45

Fun cars... very fast... You're in SoCal, so you don't have to worry about Snow. RWD is just fine.

Down side to these cars, like the Mustang GT and Camaro Z28. Is the fact that they are V8 RWD Coupes... for a guy we can't ask for much more. But, the insurance company bends you over, rips your pants off and shoves it hard into you... without even taking you out to dinner first.

Not sure how old you are, or if you qualify for good student discounts. But, you might get away with a lower insurance due to the fact that they're 10 years old now.

But I doubt it.

Another cool car to think about... is a Acura Integra GSR. In stock form, for what they are... are quick little fuckers. I rode in a Integra LS with 4 dudes in it, and it wasn't too bad.. was slow yes but it moved out pretty good. Never had the chance to ride in a GSR so I can only imagine that they're damn quick.

Here's an virgin GSR, never been touched for only $4,000
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=184521338&dealer_id=56492751&car_year=1995&make=ACURA&distance=100&lang=&max_price=5000&model=INTEG&end_year=1996&min_price=1&first_record=26&pager.offset=25&certified=&address=90815&search_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1993&isp=y&cardist=64

Insurance on one of those isn't going to be cheap either... cause it is conisdered a 'theft risk' like most Hondas these days.

So, you might be happy with an LS Integra... they're pretty peppy for an econobox.

drftk1d
06-24-2005, 02:47 PM
5k can get you the s14.

thats like a 15 second car stock and modding it is easy, plus it looks pretty nice.

Add your comment to this topic!