Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

An Amateur question about the clutch/mtx trans

RaidenKing
06-19-2005, 01:16 AM
well I've been noticing that in 1st when I let my clutch out and go from a stop I really seem to hit a wall when I hit 2k. I've also been noticing more lately that I have trouble getting reasonable power out of 2nd. When I punch it in 2nd it seems to lack acceleration.

My question is if my clutch/transmission is at fault here, I notice when I do punch it in 1st or 2nd it will rock back and forth as if the clutch having trouble staying engaged.

Should this be something worth investigating a more powerful clutch/flywheel for or is it a common thing and should I be less concerned about it.

Edit - I've also stalled out a couple times lately with the clutch in and coming to a stop. I NEVER stall out, so I think there has to be something up here.

drdisque
06-19-2005, 02:05 AM
sounds more like an ignition or fuel system problem

tha_new_guy
06-21-2005, 02:56 PM
sounds more like an ignition or fuel system problem
:werd:
That's no clutch or tranny, I think your fuel system is just at its limit. You got an SR20DET with the boost turned up right? Well perhaps you need a new pump/larger injectors, and better fuel mapping.

Also, when you punch it at 2K, I would think that you are below your boost threshold (not turbo lag), so of course you are going to have sluggish acceleration until you enter your threshold.

Since its a new car, I say take it to a tuner and have him check out your mapping. Also, post your problem and look through 240 forums.

BP2K2Max
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
does your idle bounce up an down? i'd say to also check your mass airflow sensor.

-The Stig-
06-23-2005, 04:27 PM
I know for SR swaps you need at the very least a Walboro 255lph fuel pump. Stock injectors will hold out to max boost (15psi). Mine holds just fine on stock injectors, never goes lean on WOT. Injectors and Fuel map tuning are needed if you up to a larger turbo though, that's a must.

You might want to double check the gap on the plugs, I put new plugs in on my SR and gapped them to spec, or close to it and it ran like poopy under max boost and highload. I pulled them regapped them making sure they were correct... turns out they were just slighty off.

And it ran fine after the slight adjustment.... oh and make sure they're the correct heat range too... SR's take a heat range of 7 stock if I remember correctly. Don't forget to use anti-sieze if you pull out the plugs! hehe...

RaidenKing
06-23-2005, 05:14 PM
I do have the 225 in my mods list so I'm good on that.

I'm taking it into the shop to get her tuned and get a few other minor details taken care of like having the plugs replaced. You guys were completely right though, even though it felt like it was the clutch it seems to be a problem stemming from the fuel system. I'll be back later with the results.

drftk1d
06-24-2005, 02:42 PM
why cant you do that stuff yourself?

Add your comment to this topic!