Have you seen the 2,006 Rio

fastkia
06-18-2005, 05:57 PM
If you havent check it out. I think it's a lot better looking
4 door http://www.automobilemag.com/2006_new_cars/0501_kia_rio/index.html

5 door http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2005_new_york/0504_kia_rio/index.html

fastkia
06-18-2005, 06:04 PM
This one they should really make
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/04chicago_mojave/index.html

cbeck
06-25-2005, 06:23 PM
the five door... now we're talkin!

what sort of engine and tranny is in it?

Pickup truck is sweet too...

fastkia
06-29-2005, 12:51 PM
not sure but it should be at dealer by the end of this month they said

Doohickie
08-11-2005, 11:52 PM
According to PRNewsWire (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-04-2005/0004082899&EDATE=),The Rio sedan is available in two well-equipped models - Base and LX. The Base model starts at $10,570 and comes equipped with a five-speed manual transmission. The LX model starts at $12,445 and comes standard with A/C, AM/FM/CD audio system, power/tilt steering and a 60/40 split folding rear seat. It is available with either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission.

Rounding out the Rio lineup, the Rio5 five-door comes in a sporty SX trim that includes all of the features found on the LX model and adds 15-inch alloy wheels with 195/55R15 tires, fog lights, rear spoiler, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, metal-grain interior trim and metal pedals. Starting at $13,500, the Rio5 SX is available with either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission.

Estimate about $1000 for the auto trans.

Wild1
08-13-2005, 11:04 AM
The engine for the 2006 Rio is a 1.6 (new style) with the Continuous Variable Valve Timing (CVVT). What it does is advance the cam timing contolling oil flow to the CVVT unit which gives more power. Also, the pistons are graphite coated and there is a coil-over-plug set up. The new engine management system is a Bosch PCM featuring CAN communication throughout the car including the DLC.

The A/T is a A4AF3 unit borrowed from Hyundai. It is a 4 speed Auto with 3 shift control valves, 2 line pressure control valves, and 1 DCC valve. It requires SP-III as will all Kia FWD vehicles and no additive is recommended.

G-man422
08-13-2005, 11:22 AM
not bad.

Doohickie
08-19-2005, 06:28 PM
I stopped by a Kia dealer today and they said they "should have the Rios on the lot by the end of September." I will test drive it, but with as much delay as we've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if early production has quality or design problems.

Wild1
08-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Most 1st year cars have concerns. I do know the stick with the variable valve timing is fairly lively for a 35 mpg engine.

fastkia
08-29-2005, 07:09 PM
have you guys seen the RIO 5 no longer cinco

Wild1
08-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Yep, the Rio 5 will be named similarly to the Spectra 5.

Doohickie
09-08-2005, 11:28 PM
I drove a 2006 Rio today. I was greatly impressed. If you've driven the Chevy Aveo and the Scion xA, the best way to describe the Rio is that it is the perfect compromise between the two. A little roomier, a little smoother, a little quieter than the xA; a little more responsive, a little tighter, a little better looking than the Aveo. A little more power than both of those, I think. The AT gets a very respectable 29 mpg city/38 mpg hwy, and it shifts flawlessly, right at the point where I wanted it to. Very precise, no hunting for gears.

I may buy a Rio5, even at the same price as a Spectra5 (due to the better mileage). A nice little car; Kia has hit a home run.

Wild1
09-09-2005, 12:16 PM
The auto is smooth and the stick is very lively. I like the responsiveness of the manual and the variable valve timing. It is very stable above 90 MPH. ;)

Ray H
09-18-2005, 06:03 AM
My wife and I just bought an 06 Rio. It looks identical to the pic above. Her Wrangler was killing her at the pump and the Rio fit the bill for an inexpensive, economical fuel mizer.
Anyway, this is our first vehicle with side impact airbags. Whats the deal with putting seat covers on seats with airbags in them? I assume its a bad idea? What options are there?

Edit: We test drove both the manual and auto. Ive always been a manual kinda guy but the stick in the Rio just seemed really clunky and awkward to me. Anyone else feel this way? We ended up with the auto (about $800 option).

Wild1
09-18-2005, 10:38 AM
The auto should get really good mileage around 34 MPG. The computer system is Delphi which is 10x faster than the previous Siemens system.

The SRS is very sophisticated. The impact sensor for the side is located in the B-Pillar (where the seatbelt is mounted). This will deploy both the curtain and side-seat air bags if the conditions are met. Any seat cover or reupholstery will not let the airbag deploy out the side and force the bag to blow "inwards".

There is more, the 2006 Rio is also equipped with seatbelt pretensioners which use a charge to Retract the seatbelt. If there is a condition that activates a pretensioner it will not only lock the seatbelt but also pull you back into the seat to keep hands away from the window and front airbags as well as minimize any "submarine effect" sliding under the seatbelt forward (front seat reclined).

Here is what happens, the side seat airbag may deploy and if there is a seat cover will initially blow towards the door but since it cannot exit the material turns inward behind the passenger/driver pushing the occupant forward. The pretensioner will retract the belt and pull the occupant into the deployed side-seat airbag risking internal bleeding and a crushed ribcage. Remember, the side seat airbag is pushing forward since it cannot break through the cover and the pretensioner is pulling you back.

Also, the seat covers render any side-seat protection useless. The only remaining protection for the side would be the side-curtain airbag... another topic.

Add your comment to this topic!